Fitting Dual exit exhaust on Gen6 2.5i

Exhaust modifications

Fitting Dual exit exhaust on Gen6 2.5i

Postby tigger73 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:51 am

I'm currently investigating options for upgrading the exhaust on my Gen 6 2.5i to a dual exit set-up.

From overseas forums it looks like the gen5 3.6 mid-pipe and axle-back sections may well fit, however will need to be extended at the tips to allow for the slightly longer wheelbase. Also I'll need to get a couple of hangars welded on the drivers side to mount the additional muffler/outlet as I've checked under the car and as expected there's no mounting points on the 2.5.

The other possibility is a gen6 3.6 mid-pipe and mufflers but I'm thinking the likelihood of finding these second-hand is quite slim given how new the model is. Also I have slight concerns about the larger diameter pipe (if there is any) and if this is going to have any detrimental effects.

I'm not looking for any performance gains - but want to make 100% sure I'm not going making a loss! The system is purely going to be for cosmetic improvement and because I like to personalise my cars. Looking for tasteful but not ricey - after all it is just a 2.5i NA.

Interested in feedback before heading down any particular path.
tigger73

Car: 2016 Scirocco R

Re: Fitting Dual exit exhaust on Gen6 2.5i

Postby tigger73 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:30 pm

I picked up the insert for the rear bumper right side exhaust exit the other day:

Now just have to get it painted and fitted.

Here's the rear bumper - you can see the blank insert on the right if you look closely:

Still trying to find/sort out if I can make a stock gen 5 GT exhaust fit. Been to a couple of workshops but seems that everyone is short on old exhausts.
tigger73

Postby ferret89 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:00 am

My guess would be find a good exhaust shop to custom make it for you, most can usually whip something up for reasonable prices.
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby tigger73 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:31 am

Yes I've been down the custom exhaust path before and have a good shop locally that I can use.

Though it doesn't really help anyone coming along later if all I do is get a custom fabrication job done.

What I was hoping to find out is if the gen 5 exhaust can fit up to a gen 6 and what if any mods are needed to make it fit. It may work out that it's just about as much work to modify as to build a custom exhaust but I was hoping to find this information out for anyone else looking to head down this same path.
tigger73

Postby Surge » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby tigger73 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:37 am

Has anyone fitted up WRX exhausts to a Liberty?

Obviously this opens up some more options in terms of sourcing parts but I would have thought that the exhaust would be shorter due to length of the car.

I was hoping to get the mid-pipe (y-pipe) to be a direct bolt-off bolt-on and then sort out the muffler/tips.
tigger73

Postby tigger73 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Picked up the painted plastic for the second exit and headed to the exhaust shop (Exhaust Technology).

Before:

After:

tigger73

Postby peadya100 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:37 pm

So what was the outcome with the exhaust? How'd you end up doing it?
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby tigger73 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 pm

peadya100 wrote:So what was the outcome with the exhaust? How'd you end up doing it?

I gave up trying to find a Gen5 GT mid-pipe and mufflers and just bit the bullet and got my local exhaust shop to fabricate up a system.

They used my mid-pipe and modified it with the Y section off a dual exit Subaru exhaust - not 100% sure what this was originally from but it was buried in their graveyard.

They also had a pair of Subaru rear mufflers which had the oval tips cut off and some new double wall tips welded on.

I'm really happy with the mid-pipe and mufflers. I'm not 100% on the location of the tips - probably a little lower and poking a bit more than I would like. It might grow on me or I may head back and get the tips adjusted.
tigger73

Postby tigger73 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Well I really wasn't happy with the position of the tips... so went back to the exhaust shop today and got some new mufflers and larger 4" tips fitted.

There was a bit of a problem with the original mufflers that were used as the exit was very low and there was no room to modify/raise the tips. So the decision was made to replace the mufflers with some lower profile sports mufflers and put on some larger 4" tips to fill out the exits in the rear bumper.

New exhaust is on.... much better :D

Best of all I can actually hear the exhaust now!!!! :P
tigger73

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 pm

That does look good. Well done :good:
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby tigger73 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:35 pm

peadya100 wrote:That does look good. Well done :good:

Thanks peadya100! I'm really happy with the end result.

I think it's classy and finishes off the rear end nicely. Plus the exhaust note matches the engine noise now - before when you gave it a bit of a poke you could only hear a bit of a whine from the engine.

It's a pity I didn't get it dyno'd before but I suspect I may have picked up a couple of kW from removing the stock mufflers. I know it's never going to be super quick, but at least now it has a bit of character.

At some later date I may upgrade the mid-pipe and replace some of the sharp bends with some mandrel bent goodness.... but that'll be for another time.
tigger73

Postby tigger73 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Here's a couple of clips of the new exhaust.

Here's start-up. You can notice a bit more of a growl which isn't there with the stock system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-VCq4autY

And another pulling out onto the highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZnPSs1WXQ

I know from experience that it's hard to hear volume levels from videos. Everyone's opinions on sound levels are very subjective so someone's quiet system will be too loud for someone else.

There's definitely more of a growl which I'm quite happy with. I don't think it makes it any faster but definitely can hear the boxer note now as the stock system is just way too quiet
tigger73

Postby Gen5is » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 pm

That noise sounds like its all motor, so I'd say they're quiet, almost as silent as the stock ones.

Take a video from outside the car and rev it a bit.
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby HyRax » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Yeah that's interior noise. Sounds near-identical to my Gen4 with stock exhaust to me.

I like the LCD display the Gen6's have in the cluster now.

tigger73 wrote:It's a pity I didn't get it dyno'd before but I suspect I may have picked up a couple of kW from removing the stock mufflers. I know it's never going to be super quick, but at least now it has a bit of character.

Unlikely you'll have picked up anything. Since 2001, Subaru ECU's have compensated for any unexpected variances in the car. The days of picking up 5kw just by removing the intake resonator or changing the exhaust to something more free-flowing ended there.

You can, however, get your car tuned to use those mods properly and gain a proper improvement. I tuned my own 2.5i and got a 10% improvement in power and torque without changing anything else. The car is much more fun and extra-driveable now.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Next

Return to Exhausts