4Gen STI mufflers - sedan vs wagon

Exhaust modifications

4Gen STI mufflers - sedan vs wagon

Postby Manaz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi all,

I've got a set of STI mufflers that I was told are sedan mufflers, but the tips stick out quite proud of my rear bar.

Can someone who has a set of either the sedan or wagon STI mufflers on their car (ideally someone with a TbSTI Liberty with the mufflers fitted from dealership/factory) please provide me with the measurement from the back of the muffler housing to the end of the longest tip?

Cheers!

Robert
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Re: 4Gen STI mufflers - sedan vs wagon

Postby Robbks » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:14 pm

coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Manaz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:40 am

Yeah, I've seen that before. That was one of the reasons I asked the question - on my sedan, the long tips are 220mm from the face of the muffler body (as opposed to 280mm there) - and yet still stick out more than I'd expect (and more than I've seen on stock TbSTI sedans).

I do have an Invidia downpipe and TCP midpipe, I wonder if perhaps I need to jiggle things around under the arse-end of the car to get them to sit flusher - I'm concerned that one of my kids is going to burn his leg on the exhaust at one stage - that's not an issue I ever had with the stock mufflers.
Manaz

Postby Robbks » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 pm

i reckon the aftermarket downpipe and mid are slightly longer pushing it all backwards.

put a long towbar tongue on it, you won;t have to worry about them burning themselves, they'll hit the bar once and never go that close again..!
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Manaz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:58 am

Robbks wrote:i reckon the aftermarket downpipe and mid are slightly longer pushing it all backwards.

put a long towbar tongue on it, you won;t have to worry about them burning themselves, they'll hit the bar once and never go that close again..!

haha, no tow-bar on this car unfortunately. I've been considering putting a muffler into my mid-pipe, I might just tell the exhaust shop to make sure the tips are better "tucked in" - if they shorten the mid-pipe by a cm or two, that'd probably sort it.
Manaz

Return to Exhausts