Sti Quad Tip Muffler question

Exhaust modifications

Sti Quad Tip Muffler question

Postby Jiyujin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Hey all,

I've tried searching the forum but could not find any information on my question.
I was wondering if there are any internal differences between the Sti quad tip mufflers to standard single tip mufflers say on a GT, apart from the obvious single / dual tips.
Sound/tone, performance...?

Thanks in advance.
Jiyujin

Car: MY08 Wagon 2.5SC

Re: Sti Quad Tip Muffler question

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:27 pm

I made the change - first mod.

Definately better sound - deeper. Not 100% sure but I don't see why the muffler itself would be any different, it looks the same. The twin outlets may provide more flow but you are probably limited by the inlet size which is less than 2 inches per muffler but then you look at the size of the exhaust wheel and wastegate port on your turbo and I think you covered ;). With aftermarket dump pipe only they sound great under throttle.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby peadya100 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:56 pm

It's a much debated topic this one. Some people say there's a sound difference, others swear there's no difference. Personally I thought the sti libs had a slightly growler sound than the spec b, but I might be imagining it.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:09 pm

It's the same muffler internally. Not the best for power (very restrictive above 230kw/big turbo etc) but nice and quiet otherwise (compared to straight through muffs/tcp/open varex).
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Robbks » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 am

it's not teh same internally,
I's got two outlets and as such has two exit-pipes which run the length of the muffler from the front chamber and out the back
this does allow a slightly louder note and changes the mufflers resonances slightly
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:04 am

Bruce had his PostFl Sti quads' internals 'scanned' by some bloke in the know and the verdict was they have the same internal structure (perhaps bar the extra pipe? the inlet and the muff still being the stock size and both muffs having the same packing/no. of chambers) as the stock Gt muffs. They do sound slightly different, agreed...

If the OP is after more performance or sound, IMO the Sti quads aren't different enough to spend the $. It's still a very OEM muff.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby THE SpecB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:25 pm

I believe the STi quads are different internally as the sound between stock GTB mufflers is noticeable in sound and depth.

I don't think by just adding dual tips would make this occur.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:04 pm

For me it was worth the money spent for both sound and looks, I wasn't expecting more performance. Given 80%+ of the members are running less than 200kws the performance shouldn't be a concern for stock mufflers. What I will say is there is definately a deeper note, no question but not a boxer rumble as such. It just sounds like a really nice factory exhaust if that makes sense which is what I wanted. If you want people to hear you coming, this is not the exhaust. My next door neighbour actually commented on how nice the car sounded after I replaced the factory GTB muffs for the STI ones and he didn't even know I changed them. He said 'have you done something to the exhaust?'
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby ferret89 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Shaheenis wrote:For me it was worth the money spent for both sound and looks, I wasn't expecting more performance. Given 80%+ of the members are running less than 200kws the performance shouldn't be a concern for stock mufflers. What I will say is there is definately a deeper note, no question but not a boxer rumble as such. It just sounds like a really nice factory exhaust if that makes sense which is what I wanted. If you want people to hear you coming, this is not the exhaust. My next door neighbour actually commented on how nice the car sounded after I replaced the factory GTB muffs for the STI ones and he didn't even know I changed them. He said 'have you done something to the exhaust?'

I like them, quiet enough to go unnoticed in city traffic or on highway but growl a bit when stepping on it

Keen to see how it changes when I throw the stock dump out
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Manaz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:25 am

There was a massive sound difference when I swapped from the stock Spec.B mufflers and the STI mufflers on my car (with a 3" turbo-back exhaust in front of them). Much deeper, massive improvement in boxer rumble. In fact, they're so loud I'm considering a resonator/muffler in the mid-pipe to pull them back a bit - the stock mufflers made the whole system sound barely any different to stock.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Jiyujin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Just contemplating which would suit my car without going over board and losing performance and being drowned out.
Cheers!
Jiyujin

Car: MY08 Wagon 2.5SC

Return to Exhausts