MY11 WRX quads for Gen V wagon

Exhaust modifications

MY11 WRX quads for Gen V wagon

Postby muzza » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:45 pm

So, managed to get hold of some MY11 WRX quad rear mufflers, identical (apparently) to the earlier MY09 WRX STi mufflers.
My aim is to replicate the Gen V STi mufflers at around 10% of the retail cost - see viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11048.
Its a fair guess the inside of these are identical to the WRX STi/widebody MY11+WRX regular mufflers. The only thing I cant get/do is the STi siamesed polished tips.

Following BigBADBenny's (and Robbks) lead with this neat upgrade for a better note, some more flow but a stock look and (hopefully) no drone. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=21958&p=317107&hilit=sti%2Fwrx+widebody#p317107

So some grotty WRX mufflers, plenty of tar sprayed on these cans: Imageimage by Muzza03, on Flickr

After a clean up with some kero and truckwash they come up pretty well, they aren't going to rust being 409 Stainless
De-tipped by drilling out the welds underneath, ready to go see the exhaust bloke for some tip work to fit the bumper cutout.
Imageimage by Muzza03, on Flickr

The stock WRX tips are 80mm each, too wide for the 150mm cutout in the GenV wagon bumper, so allowing for around 20mm air gap a couple of 55 mm pipes coming together in the centre in some nice shiny 304 stainless single wall slash cut should look pretty neat, a la Gen IV STi style, with some stagger maybe - well that's the plan, but see how it goes with the exhaust place....

More to come.... :D
Last edited by muzza on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Re: MY11 WRX quads for Gen V wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Goodonya!

You are DIY-ing it? :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby muzza » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Goodonya!

Well. what can I say, I must be a sucker, or a dedicated DIY kinda bloke! :hi:

And more good news for us Gen V-ers stuck with the "ugly Liberty", the hangers appear to be exactly the same as my stock mufflers, AND the flanges also align with the mid pipe ones.

Inlet pipe is same length, diameter and angle so (fingers crossed) looking like minimum professional help with the outlet adjustments.

Gotta be some wins given the bumper cutout is so mean on the Gen V's :cry:
Muzza
muzza

Postby Gen5is » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:05 pm

muzza wrote:
bigBADbenny wrote:Goodonya!

Well. what can I say, I must be a sucker, or a dedicated DIY kinda bloke! :hi:

And more good news for us Gen V-ers stuck with the "ugly Liberty", the hangers appear to be exactly the same as my stock mufflers, AND the flanges also align with the mid pipe ones.

Inlet pipe is same length, diameter and angle so (fingers crossed) looking like minimum professional help with the outlet adjustments.

Gotta be some wins given the bumper cutout is so mean on the Gen V's :cry:

Hold up.. So you're saying a MY11 WRX exhaust system fits perfectly?

Sounds like we've struck gold! Nice one Muzza. I might look into some WRX systems, hopefully they fit on the n/a 2.5i Libertys, but they should.. Because the Invidia GT exhaust system in the states fits on the n/a 2.5i Legacys.
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby muzza » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

I'll let you know about the exact fit. Initial eyeball assessment has the basics lined up BUT I'm only dropping axle back muffs on, no mid pipe etc.

My guess is that MY11 mid pipe would be different length owing to wheelbase differences.
Muzza
muzza

Postby muzza » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Update:
After chatting with one exhaust place nearby, they were a bit leery of taking on the job and firmly quoting. After going back twice, they understood the mufflers themselves were a drop in, bolt on install but needed fabrication of the 4 tail pipes from mandrel bend stainless pieces, still didn't want to commit to a firm price, guessing around $400 ish, and seemed a bit unsure of exactly how they would tackle it, not much clearance etc etc..... :? All too hard it seems!

So I checked a few other places, one being Midas who really don't know much more than bolt on stuff and car servicing nowadays, pass, and the other Daalder in Box Hill. Just one bloke there now, had a chat, showed him the gig and straight away he was thinking how to go about it and explaining etc; at last, someone who could do some custom work. He was doing a VL turbo cat back entirely out of 3in mandrel and he showed me: he knows what he is doing :D
Gave me a firm maximum quote $280 ( bit more than I hoped but there you go) so they go on tomorrow.

At home, I dropped off the left hand stock muffler and put it side by side with the WRX one:Image
image by Muzza03, on Flickr

Cut off the outlet pipes, leaving 10mm stubs. Compared to the stock muffler it just needed the rearmost hanger trimming back a bit by 30 mm to match.

Then took a pic to show the alignment installed, seems the outlets (now trimmed) line up with the outer edges of the bumper cutout.

Started her up, nice deeper rumble and a bit more rasp on the rev, should be a good compromise me thinks. :mrgreen:
Last edited by muzza on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muzza
muzza

Postby SYM » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Looking good Murray - I enjoyed reading your post, and good to see its working out!

And hopefully gives the 2.5na wagon owners a viable option for those wanting to pursue a dual exhaust install

look forward to seeing the final result :)
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:11 am

Looks great!
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby muzza » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks Matt - getting there! Need to chat with you about a minor noise issue - see below. You can probably tune it out?

Update: Had tail pipes fitted by Matt at Daalder Box Hill - does very good work, though slow at times as he's a one-man operation and phone calls, deliveries interrupt at times.

Got twin 2 inch pipes in 316 stainless (marine grade handrail!), happily the inside pipe went straight out the cutout, outside pipe needed a slight pressed wiggle and some fabrication, but looks good, neat.
ImageIMG_0980 - Copy by Muzza03, on Flickr

From the rear, this is the look:
ImageIMG_0982 - Copy by Muzza03, on Flickr

My thoughts: the size and shape of the cutout don't suit twin pipes that well. Even though the muffler out pipes are twin 2".
I think I need bigger tips, 2 x 2.5" will fit the cutout with clearance and possibly a bit higher in the cutout?
Thoughts/comments/praise/abuse welcome.... 8)
More fiddling needed but they will do for now til I can grab some fatter stainless tips and do some cutting and amateur welding.

The other issue is some cabin boom just off idle - 1000-1400 rpm on trailing throttle, coasting in 5th (auto) at 60 kph is right on 1200 rpm and it reverberates a little unpleasantly. Otherwise it is more audible in the car, but not much, outside is a sharper/better note over most of the rev range. SOTP thrust-o-meter says no difference in go, nor would I expect one from this minor change.

Total cost so far: $370 for Gen V "STi" DIY mufflers.....
Muzza
muzza

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:10 pm

In that G88 GenV post there's the lower bumper part that suits bigger tips...
The Sti muffs had nested twins iirc.
I'd get the lower bumper cutout widened (since it's easily removed) and use the wrx Sti tips.

And yeah with the phat dump and avo hotdogged mid the off idle boom was colossal with those muffs.
But with the mufflered mid: silence...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby muzza » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:25 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:In that G88 GenV post there's the lower bumper part that suits bigger tips...
The Sti muffs had nested twins iirc.
I'd get the lower bumper cutout widened (since it's easily removed) and use the wrx Sti tips.

And yeah with the phat dump and avo hotdogged mid the off idle boom was colossal with those muffs.
But with the mufflered mid: silence...

Yeah, the TommyKairas HUGE quads, super phat, like the look, but not the price.

Car is leased so mods have to be moderate and reversible unfortunately, so no cutting the bar is allowed! I need some slightly bigger trims and some minor bending to sit them right I think.

Mines all on stock mid so I guess I have a minor affliction of the boom. I will have a fiddle with new bigger trims on the pipes and push them out past the bar a bit more which may help reduce the boom a bit.

Having gone for a bit more drive ( without the wife!) I think the top end has picked up a bit, or maybe it just sounds that way......
Muzza
muzza

Postby muzza » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Slight update: fitted some 2.5" stainless tips to extend the outlets a bit and beef up the visuals of the quads a bit.

Bit of messing about but I'm happy with the looks and some reduction in the cabin boom, maybe due to extra 30-40 mm length or the rolled in lips may help somehow.

Happy!
Muzza
muzza

Postby Gen5is » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:05 am

Looks great!!
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby Jordan.k » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Looks good, im looking to do the same thing to my gen4
ARP 2000 Headstuds | VF43 | Norm butler exhaust |
196kw Atw tuned by Matt Mcleod
Jordan.k

Car: '06 wrx
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30099

Postby muzza » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Just beware, the flanges for the rear mufflers on these later "wide body WRX/Sti" mufflers are rotated 90 degrees to the stock ones on your gen IV. See viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19427 for bigBADbenny's experience.
Muzza
muzza

Next

Return to Exhausts