Exhaust Cut-out/bypass ?

Exhaust modifications

Exhaust Cut-out/bypass ?

Postby Shakibsaifi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:35 pm

has anyone tried one of these?
for those who dont know its one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5-INCH-EXHAUST-CUTOUT-REMOTE-CONTROL-ELECTRIC-DUMP-Y-PIPE-CATBACK-TURBO-BYPASS-/271511124779?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3752fb2b&_uhb=1

dont try to steer me away, but where would it be best fitted, before the y pipe or before the resonator/ mid pipe.

and defect instantly right hahahaha

And what size piping would be best
Shakibsaifi

Car: MY04 WRX
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24959&p=357443#p357443

Re: Exhaust Cut-out/bypass ?

Postby Manaz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 am

Where it'd fit best depends on exactly how loud you want it. If you want it as loud as possible, then you'd do it before the resonator in the mid-pipe. If you want to let the resonator do some work, then fit it after it, before the Y pipe.

The item states that it fits a 2.5" exhaust. That said, there's a 3" version listed as well (in "items like this"). I think the stock pipes on a 2.5i are 2.25" though.

It won't be 100% effective, as it opens up a new exit, but doesn't block the stock pipes at the same time. Still, most of the exhaust gases will exit via the new part as there's less flow resistance that way (though I do note that the new exit is offset, and the gases will also try to travel in a straight line as best they can).

And yes, probably an instant defect. But you know that already. My comments are purely hypothetical. :)
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Shakibsaifi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:20 am

If I put it before the muffler and i'm below the dB limit is it still a defect?

And I got the 2.5inch I'll be getting it reduced. I'll probably put it before the resonator because of stealth will also post a video next Wednesday
Shakibsaifi

Postby zch91 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 am

Have you considered varex muffler(s)?

A lot more stealth and possible more legal.. Just a thought.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby Shakibsaifi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 am

yeah ive been looking at them for years now, but $$. i want quads, but varex values them +$500 each so two of them $1000, cut and weld another few hundred, wiring. just a headache, but low cost same experience
Shakibsaifi

Postby Manaz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Shakibsaifi wrote:If I put it before the muffler and i'm below the dB limit is it still a defect?

And I got the 2.5inch I'll be getting it reduced. I'll probably put it before the resonator because of stealth will also post a video next Wednesday

The rear mufflers only exist to keep a car quiet (and thus below the dB limit). If you're below that without them, they're not necessary. The only issue then becomes where the exhaust gasses exit the exhaust system - s I understand it for a passenger vehicle, the exhaust gases can't exit the car in front of the rear of the rear-most passenger doors (the hatch/tailgate doesn't count).
Manaz

Postby Shakibsaifi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Yeah with straight pipes it is still under the dB limit and as for the exhaust gases the y pipe connects into a dump pipe forcing the exhaust gases to go down out the car or straight into the standard exhaust.
Shakibsaifi

Postby zch91 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:18 pm

What Manaz meant was the exhaust gases have to exit the vehicle at a specific point to be legal

And in reply to your Varex post - swapping out your centre muffler with a Varex and installing something louder instead of the rear mufflers would give you a decent effect. Probably more expensive than the eBay thing you've listed but it really does have defect written all over it.

Your car; your choice. Just my 2c.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby Shakibsaifi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 pm

yeah i was looking at exactly that, replacing the resonator with a varex, but still id need new mufflers, at minimum i could find a second hand varex for $200 + new mufflers say $150 getting the varex modified and the mufflers beyond $500, maybe when i get some spare cash, by for now sneaky mod, if anyone knows where it might be legal let me know, what about right behind a muffler?
Shakibsaifi

Postby Manaz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Shakibsaifi wrote:yeah i was looking at exactly that, replacing the resonator with a varex, but still id need new mufflers, at minimum i could find a second hand varex for $200 + new mufflers say $150 getting the varex modified and the mufflers beyond $500, maybe when i get some spare cash, by for now sneaky mod, if anyone knows where it might be legal let me know, what about right behind a muffler?

It's legal only if the sound output is low enough, and if the point at which the exhaust gases exit the pipe is behind the rear-most part of the rear-most doors on the car.

Basically, the furthest forward you could put it would be just before the Y-pipe (if you're lucky).

For info on how loud it can be, you can start here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... noise.aspx.

The following was posted on another website by an RTA AVIS (Authorised Vehicle Inspection Scheme) inspector:

My understanding for a safe and legal vehcile according to RTA rules are;
Not too loud, If sounds too loud and possibly feel that louder than legal limit then a noise Db test report is requested to be carried out.
Mounted securly and correctly with no structal engineered bracketry out of that what you would expect to be from STd manufacture specs, if mods have been done then an engineers report to be sighted (Like extractors through inner guards when fitting an 8 into EH holden etc...)
No pipes to be forward of last opening side window by at least 500mm( side dump pipes)
Pipes/mufflers not too low (4" clearance throughout entire under carriage)
Cat fitted where appropriate according to spec.
Tailpipe not to pretrude further back that a std type exhaust tip.
No holes in exhaust system at all (corrosion in pipes/mufflers etc..)

These rules infer that you're up for an immediate defect regardless of where you put that thing (if you're caught with it).
Manaz

Postby SomeFReaK » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:20 am

Im not sure if anyone has tried one of these, but i came across it yesterday. Might be a cheap alernative to varex mufflers:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-inch-E ... 47113.html
SomeFReaK

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25973

Postby Shakibsaifi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:25 am

SomeFReaK wrote:Im not sure if anyone has tried one of these, but i came across it yesterday. Might be a cheap alernative to varex mufflers:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-inch-E ... 47113.html

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's exactly what this is all about.

And as for the location. I'm attaching it before the resonator due to clearance issues and I can make it hidden
Shakibsaifi

Postby SomeFReaK » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:40 am

Shakibsaifi wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but that's exactly what this is all about.

Oh, sorry. The one you linked was a Y pipe so i thought it might be another option
SomeFReaK

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25973

Return to Exhausts