Tips for installing dump on Gen V

Exhaust modifications

Tips for installing dump on Gen V

Postby sssyco » Fri May 30, 2014 9:48 am

Went through the fun process of changing over dump pipes last weekend and just thought I would share a few tips if anyone else is attempting it (this is not a full step by step process just the things i remembered)

Tools required:
Good socket set and set of ring spanners
Good quality 14mm impact socket (for the dump bolts)
E-Torx Sockets to remove the studs
Screw drivers
CRC spray
Anti cease grease or copper grease
Bucket to capture coolant
Impact driver or Rattle gun (not essential but makes it alot easier)

1. Remove the two plastic covers under the car
2. Remove the steel heat shields covering the dump pipe
3. Remove the radiator hose inlet (where the thermostat is) which is in the way of one of the 4 bolts holding the dump (drain the coolant first by removing the phillips head plug on the bottom of the radiator)
4. Spray CRC on all the nuts and bolts you need to remove to free them up
5. Remove the O2 sensor which is closest to the turbo (I think this is in the way of something else, cant remember what)
6. Undo the plugs for the 2 sensors and remove the harness that holds the wires (can either remove the clips holding the harness or remove the whole harness (I think just a 10mm bolt)
7. Undo the bolts holding the first part of the dump to the rest of the exhaust
8. Remove two nuts (14mm) which hold a bracket which connects to the dump pipe studs (these nuts run verticle so are easy to get to with a ratchet and extension)
9. Undo the 4 bolts holding on the dump pipe to the turbo (this is the hard bit, as the nuts will be ceased from the heat). To make this easier use plenty of CRC, try doing it when they are still hot which I found helped or heat them up with a blow torch, and if you can get to them with a rattle gun or impact driver this will help to "crack" the rust (make sure you have a propper impact socket otherwise you will probably destroy the socket or the nuts), otherwise if you dont have one you can try just hitting them with a hammer to crack them. I also found with the top nuts if you use a long extension its easier to get access to them.
10. You may be able to remove the stock dump without removing the studs but I wasnt able to get the new dump on without removing them, so save some time and just remove them from the start using an E-Torx socket
The rest is easy, just do everything in reverse but make sure you use anti-cease grease or copper grease to help get the nuts off next time if required. Also when putting on the new dump dont tighten any of the nuts fully until you have the whole exhaust system bolted up, this will make it easier with alignment as there is a bit of play in all the joints if you tighten them before you have it all connected it might not line up right.

Again I may have missed some stuff but overall the hardest bit is removing the nuts from the dump, the rest is easy as long as you have time to do it. Have no idea why some people are saying the sub frame needs to be removed as I had no problems with mine besides the ceased bolts.
My10 GT wagon auto, xforce TBE, Kido tune, K&N panel filter, fully sick boot liner and cargo net, baby seat
sssyco

Car: MY10 Liberty GT Wagon

Re: Tips for installing dump on Gen V

Postby On2youliberty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 pm

thanks for the info
On2youliberty

Car: 2010 LGT

Postby garthos » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 pm

^^ What he said, cheers mate
garthos
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21375&start=30

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:25 am

Nice write up - I would like to add that stud removal isn't always necessary, my DPs came off and went on with no problems, but YMMV.
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby Leo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Had my dump pipe and 3" system done today without drain the coolant or remove sub frame. Now just wait for Matt to tune.
Leo

Car: 2010 liberty Gt

Postby Gen5is » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:09 pm

I wish I had a turbo :cry:
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby Leo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Just come back from tune with Matt, I can't smile any bigger. The power is awesome, based on Matt lap top the car make 208kw atw. On the way home I plugged the OBDii in my car n floor it, the torque read 520nm max so I am not sure if this figure is correct.
Leo

Car: 2010 liberty Gt

Return to Exhausts