Who doesn't run a Cat?

Exhaust modifications

Re: Who doesn't run a Cat?

Postby Cj_ » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:46 pm

I just gutted the stock dump pipes cat, but left the second one were the catback bolts up. With a stage 2 open source tune the car is now very alive.
Cj_

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Spec B 6 speed

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:17 pm

A gutted cat creates more turbulence than a high flow cat or a straight pipe. It's proven to be a step in the wrong direction.

It's great to hear that you're happy with your tune. Unfortunately there is more to a good aftermarket dump pipe than just having less catalytic restriction.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Cj_ » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm

I won't argue that it's better than an proper aftermarket dump, but I don't think it's a step in the wrong direction.
Cj_

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Spec B 6 speed

Postby 04XTC » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:10 am

I have a MY06GT GEN 4. I am having a custom dump pipe (belmouth) being fabbed up eliminating the front dump cat only and leaving the bottom cat alone. With a tune im hoping for better gains and quicker response. So what you guys are saying is that my exhaust is going to smell worse now?
04XTC

Car: MY05 Gen4 LGT Prem Pack WGN STI mock

Postby (sic) » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:11 am

04XTC wrote:I have a MY06GT GEN 4. I am having a custom dump pipe (belmouth) being fabbed up eliminating the front dump cat only and leaving the bottom cat alone. With a tune im hoping for better gains and quicker response. So what you guys are saying is that my exhaust is going to smell worse now?

I coaxed the contents of my 3rd cat out (on stock setup) but still had the post header ones and I could notice a little bit more egg smell. However after a tune and ethanol it smells like a delicious brewery in my garage now when I get home.
(sic)

Car: MY06 3.0RB

Previous

Return to Exhausts