Varex,Headers, Y Pipe - Help :)

Exhaust modifications

Varex,Headers, Y Pipe - Help :)

Postby Kontrl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey Guys,

I currently own a 2006 Subaru Outback (Yes i know there is a dedicated Outback fourms, but posting on both)

One of my goals with it's modifications would be to upgrade the exhaust to sound something like a WRX (the rumble :P).

I have heard many an option, but a majority of them are permanent to an extent, that's why i was considering the varex option because you can have the butterfly valve open or closed.

I went to my local muffler/exhaust shop today and I asked them about it an these are the prices I got:
X-force Liberty (Non Turbo) 04~08 Cat-Back System = $1050 (Presume Stainless steel)
Varex Muffler (Unsure which one, not cannon though) = $635 2x=$1270

Do these prices sound correct?

Another suggestions?

Could i just straight up install the dual varex (dual because this outback has stock dual exhaust) and have a nice little rumble and down the track upgrade? Or wait and do it all at once?

Cheers

*EDIT*

Anyone know of a pro that might be able to install or do a deal or whatever say in Bris or that region within QLD?
Kontrl

Car: Outback

Re: Varex,Headers, Y Pipe - Help :)

Postby jaydece » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Kontrl wrote:Hey Guys,

I currently own a 2006 Subaru Outback (Yes i know there is a dedicated Outback fourms, but posting on both)

One of my goals with it's modifications would be to upgrade the exhaust to sound something like a WRX (the rumble :P).

I have heard many an option, but a majority of them are permanent to an extent, that's why i was considering the varex option because you can have the butterfly valve open or closed.

I went to my local muffler/exhaust shop today and I asked them about it an these are the prices I got:
X-force Liberty (Non Turbo) 04~08 Cat-Back System = $1050 (Presume Stainless steel)
Varex Muffler (Unsure which one, not cannon though) = $635 2x=$1270

Do these prices sound correct?

Another suggestions?

Could i just straight up install the dual varex (dual because this outback has stock dual exhaust) and have a nice little rumble and down the track upgrade? Or wait and do it all at once?

Cheers

*EDIT*

Anyone know of a pro that might be able to install or do a deal or whatever say in Bris or that region within QLD?

prices seem expensive....I would do more research.....have you tried chris at best mufflers in syd?

you have 2 options

1/ install a varex in the mid pipe area and then run whatever dual exhaust system you want..
2/ get 2 varex mufflers with the duel varex control unit ( like what I have )

if you want a wrx boxer rumble you wont achieve it with a varex system.....I would know...i've had 4-5 different exhaust/mufflers systems...the varex is my least boxer rumble...the design of the mufflers seems to inhibit the sound your after....compared to maybe a normal xforce system, magnaflow system or similar...

also the material will have a influence.....

stainless system will give tinny sound Vs mild steel which offers the more rumble deep sound..

of course the overall exhaust system setup will come into play...

my experience the magnaflow setup I had was the best sounding....but it droned and in the end the boxer rumble got annoying....of course this was prior to me experimenting and trying wide centre mufflers, mild steel, mild steel and stainless...and now full stainless.....UEL headers installed blah blah etc etc...
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby Kontrl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 pm

If i did run a Varex mid-pipe, would that have much affect (sound wise) compared to if I went dual Varex mufflers? Or would it still inbibit the sound? With your experience that's one reason why I thought of the Varex system, because I would get bored, be nice to have the drone/rumble when I want. (Did the Varex really affect it by much?Substantial amount or minor?) If minor that's ok, but $635 for 1 is ridiculous! I emailed x-force team and stainless catback 2.25" is $850 from them.

I have heard the stainless steel vs Mild steel. (I'd go mild steel with stainless muffler)

I'll hit up best mufflers to talk to them :)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, could I run an aftermarket Y-pipe straight into A.M mufflers? (still confused on Y-pipe)
Kontrl

Postby jaydece » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Kontrl wrote:If i did run a Varex mid-pipe, would that have much affect (sound wise) compared to if I went dual Varex mufflers? Or would it still inbibit the sound? With your experience that's one reason why I thought of the Varex system, because I would get bored, be nice to have the drone/rumble when I want. (Did the Varex really affect it by much?Substantial amount or minor?) If minor that's ok, but $635 for 1 is ridiculous! I emailed x-force team and stainless catback 2.25" is $850 from them.

I have heard the stainless steel vs Mild steel. (I'd go mild steel with stainless muffler)

I'll hit up best mufflers to talk to them :)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, could I run an aftermarket Y-pipe straight into A.M mufflers? (still confused on Y-pipe)

y pipe = depends on brand but usually yes...if you get varex mufflers...then definitely will need to be modified to suite y pipe and bend....varex mufflers are generic...not specific to each brand car...

sound wise: if you run mid pipe varex and run whatever y pipe and mufflers I believe the sound you want will be achieved... basically the mid pipe varex is essentially a centre muffler with a butterfly...compared to a dual muffler setup then yes the sound will be totally different I feel you wont like it....but its a case to case experiment basis....

varex system along side with other things I did? did change the sound....a downside I felt....I never really just did varex mufflers, and then swap them for something else....to compare...

I got mufflers for just over $400 each plus the duel harness kit just over $100 from memory...

For me if I would do it all again? I would approach the varex with the mid pipe setup and retained my magnaflow mufflers......
~JUSZTN~

265kw atw on P100

jaydece

Postby Kontrl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:30 pm

This is slowly sounding more promising :)

Would you think, if i ran Varex mid-pipe, if the vale was closed, the system would sound generally stock or would it still have the rumble? (Key factor being able to turn the sound "on/off") WHilst achieving the sound i desire if i install e.g magnaflow exhaust setup?
Kontrl

Postby jaydece » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Kontrl wrote:This is slowly sounding more promising :)

Would you think, if i ran Varex mid-pipe, if the vale was closed, the system would sound generally stock or would it still have the rumble? (Key factor being able to turn the sound "on/off") WHilst achieving the sound i desire if i install e.g magnaflow exhaust setup?

valve closed - will be more quiet then stock.....no rumble....if there is? ever so slightly...

varex can be set to open-closed only AND/OR open-slightly open-closed only and vice versa..
~JUSZTN~

265kw atw on P100

jaydece

Postby Kontrl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:04 pm

:)

By sounds of it, I will further investigate, varex Mid-pipe (probably go down this direction). But now the question is what varex muffler to get for the mid pipe, and then an exhaust system that will compliment it and the sound! Any suggestions?
Kontrl

Postby jaydece » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Kontrl wrote::)

By sounds of it, I will further investigate, varex Mid-pipe (probably go down this direction). But now the question is what varex muffler to get for the mid pipe, and then an exhaust system that will compliment it and the sound! Any suggestions?

issue will be to choose a varex that will fit under the mid / centre section....my best bet? cannon type varex.....here are a few suggestions.... :lol: :mrgreen:
VMK10-250
VMK2G-250
VMK2G-300
VMK10-250
VMK11-300

bare in mind....for this to work will require modification and great fab/welder/exhaust shop....

exhaust system to match......well start hitting youtube and this forum and check out videos or various types and setups......choices/combinations are endless...
~JUSZTN~

265kw atw on P100

jaydece

Postby Kontrl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Checked the clearance, looks like it 'should' be all good (being an outback currently un-lowered)

I would defiantly not do it as a home job, currently in the process of looking for a great fab/welder/exhaust shop, either in hometown or Brisbane :) (If anyone has recommendations please post!)

Now I know this is an option, I will be frantically looking for the optimum option.

Jaydece - THANK-YOU soooo much, you have helped me greatly!
Kontrl

Postby jaydece » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Kontrl wrote:Checked the clearance, looks like it 'should' be all good (being an outback currently un-lowered)

I would defiantly not do it as a home job, currently in the process of looking for a great fab/welder/exhaust shop, either in hometown or Brisbane :) (If anyone has recommendations please post!)

Now I know this is an option, I will be frantically looking for the optimum option.

Jaydece - THANK-YOU soooo much, you have helped me greatly!

Anytime Ben :D

Good luck and keep us posted...pictures, videos is a MUST once installed ...

here is a sample :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4l1yJBOWnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMV-L7pNAc
~JUSZTN~

265kw atw on P100

jaydece

Return to Exhausts