Modifications required to fit an auto dump pipe to a manual

Exhaust modifications

Modifications required to fit an auto dump pipe to a manual

Postby DMGT » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 am

Ok, so I've done my research and read lots of threads about the differences between auto an manual dump pipes. If I'm missing a post that answers this question please let me know - I'm sure someone has done this or knows the answer for certain. My question is exactly what modifications are required to make an auto dump pipe fit a manual Lib GT (05 2.0 twinscroll in my case)?

This thread clarifies that the auto/manual turbo flange (TD04hla vs VF38)is the same so there should be no issues there:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15244&start=15

I know the shape of the pipe is different from the down section back - as required for the auto dump to clear the bigger gearbox, and the aft mounting bracket is located further back.

As the auto gearbox dump pipe is a slightly wider shape around the gearbox I assume it shouldn't be a problem when fitting it to a manual car as long as the pipe doesn't interfere with anything else?

This thread deals with the manual dump to auto gearbox car problem (opposite to my case) which obviously requires the pipe itself to undergo some surgery:

viewtopic.php?t=2601

As far as I know the forward centre pipe flange is in the same location for both manual and auto cars - ie the dump pipe in both cases ends up at the same place - somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Is all that is required to make an auto dump pipe fit a manual car just a relocation of the aft mounting bracket or would the pipe actually need to be cut and welded??

Cheers,

Doug.
DMGT

Car: MY05 GT WAGON

Re: Modifications required to fit an auto dump pipe to a man

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:26 pm

DMGT wrote:Ok, so I've done my research and read lots of threads about the differences between auto an manual dump pipes. If I'm missing a post that answers this question please let me know - I'm sure someone has done this or knows the answer for certain. My question is exactly what modifications are required to make an auto dump pipe fit a manual Lib GT (05 2.0 twinscroll in my case)?

This thread clarifies that the auto/manual turbo flange (TD04hla vs VF38)is the same so there should be no issues there:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15244&start=15

I know the shape of the pipe is different from the down section back - as required for the auto dump to clear the bigger gearbox, and the aft mounting bracket is located further back.

As the auto gearbox dump pipe is a slightly wider shape around the gearbox I assume it shouldn't be a problem when fitting it to a manual car as long as the pipe doesn't interfere with anything else?

This thread deals with the manual dump to auto gearbox car problem (opposite to my case) which obviously requires the pipe itself to undergo some surgery:

viewtopic.php?t=2601

As far as I know the forward centre pipe flange is in the same location for both manual and auto cars - ie the dump pipe in both cases ends up at the same place - somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Is all that is required to make an auto dump pipe fit a manual car just a relocation of the aft mounting bracket or would the pipe actually need to be cut and welded??

Cheers,

Doug.

Auto pipe fits a manual no problems, the issue is the auto sump is in the way for the manual dump pipe design.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby DMGT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 am

Cheers Matt,

So.. has anybody done this? Anyone got a pick of the modified bracket? if someone has how much did it set you back to get an exhaust shop to modify and fit it?

I think my plan would be to leave the old bracket in place and bolt the custom bracket to the old one at the rear and weld the front of the new bracket to the pipe in one spot. This means if I ever sell it the custom bracket can just be cut off in one place at the weld to make it fit an auto again.
DMGT

Postby Cj_ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi mate, ever get an answer to this?
Cj_

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Spec B 6 speed

Postby DMGT » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:23 pm

No yet.... But I have it on good advice that the auto dump will clear the transmission and there should be no major issues, just have to adapt the auto gear box cross member mount to fit the MT. I'll let you know in a few weeks when I try to fit an auto HKS dump pipe to my manual lib. Might even put it up as a walkthrough with pics etc.
DMGT

Postby shav » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 am

Just to reiterate, the main issues were fitting of manual dumps to auto cars not the other way around. The autos are longer in length than the manual boxes and its at the end of the DP where it fouls.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Return to Exhausts