TurboXS V2 Dump Pipe Install - MY07 GTB

Exhaust modifications

TurboXS V2 Dump Pipe Install - MY07 GTB

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:43 pm

PICTURES
http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/shahe ... %20Install

Hi there. I know a dump pipe install isn't that exciting but I thought I would post this so others could benefit from the experience and hopefully will answer some questions. Most of this can be applied to any aftermarket dump install but this one is specifically for TurboXS V2 with Grimmspeed Downsizer.

Background
I had been looking into aftermarket dump pipes and exhaust for some time and because I wanted to keep the STI mufflers I came to the conclusion that I was better off replacing dump pipe only as this way I could install an exhaust downsizer (Grimmspeed you legends - http://www.grimmspeed.com/3-subaru-down ... m-catback/) for a smooth transition. Also the factory cat back exhaust does not look restrictive to me for my application. I expect that just replacing the dump will give me 80% of the benefit as opposed to 100% with complete exhaust and mufflers.

Requirements (mandatory)
1) Must be a direct bolt-on (so I can do all the labour),
2) Must be a high quality item with good design for flow and fitting in mind,
3) Must have a CAT built-in,
4) Must have an O2 bung post CAT.

Wish list (not mandatory)
a) Stainless for longevity and looks 8),
b) Bung hole for wideband in bellmouth,
c) Open bell mouth, no divorce or splitter (these can cause problems with turbo interchangeability and have negligible impact IMO)

The Shortlist
These are only my opinions I don’t expect everyone to agree. These opinions are based on lots of reading, scrutinising design via pictures and experience and cost. In my opinion these are the top 3 choices of those I looked at. I expect that there is probably less than 10% performance difference between any on the market. In saying that 10% can be worth it.. I do however think that some are simply overpriced given the quality and materials. I obviously have more knowledge of the TurboXS dump as I have installed and scrutinised more closely – good and not so good.

inVidia Oz version – Pros: Excellent quality item. Splitter. CAT. Cons: Cost.
TCP – Pros: High quality item. Nice open bell mouth, CAT and flex included. Cons: Cost.
TurboXS V2 – Pros: High quality item. CAT. 3 O2 bungs. Cost (in my case). Cons: Minor. Turbo flange is thinner than CNC cut steel. Didn’t supply compact nut for bottom right turbo stud. Internal cast to Stainless pipe join is not perfectly smooth - I am a perfectionist though :P.

Purchase & Supply
I purchased it from 'ht0258' on EBAY. The dump box was marked V2 which I think was a newer version that addressed some fitment issues on previous models. It came with:
• 2 x steel 2-bolt gaskets,
• 4 bolts, nuts and spring washers,
• A small bolt and spring washer which I am not sure what it is for but suspect it is for mounting - not needed on my vehicle.
Unfortunately I was to learn later that it did not come with a compact nut required for one of the turbo flange studs. The cast angle does not allow for a standard integrated washer style nut to be used and I know this is the same for some other dumps e.g. TOMEI but they supply the nut.. Lucky I had one laying around! Edit: I provided this feedback to Grimmspeed and they were very grateful so hopefully this means future shipments include the nut. Not a biggy really.

Installation & Tools
I have installed many dump pipes on older libs and this was not that much different. The most time consuming part was removing the plentiful heat shield bolts (about 10 but didn't count). The whole job took me around 3hrs not rushing. This is not a complete list of tools but I recommend the following:

• Inox or other quality penetrating oil,
• Antisieze (optional, I use Nulon)
• Ultra Copper (optional heatproof O2 safe silicon for sealing bungs)
• Socket set including 10, 12, 14 & 17mm sockets (14mm impact hex socket 1/2’ if possible)
• Various extension bars (I like to use 3/8 extensions with a ½’-3/8’ adapter as they get to places thicker bars won’t.
• Breaker bar or torque wrench to help crack the turbo exhaust nuts/bolts,
• Need nose pliers (to help release cable ties for O2 re-route)
• Open end spanners in 10, 12, 14 & 17mm (a 14mm offset ring spanner is handy)
• Flat head screwdriver (helps flex hanger hook while you unhook dump)
• Tin snips & file for heatshield adjustments.

Step 1: Raise vehicle to a height you can safely and comfortably work under. Make sure it is properly supported, I recommend ramps or a hoist. Be careful when using ramps not to scrape on way up. I use concrete blocks, wood blocks and a spotter to make sure I don't damage the front bar when driving up the ramps.

Step 2: Remove engine cover and Intercooler, nice and easy.

Step 3: Spray all bolts/nuts you intend to remove with Inox penetrating oil. I used this on heat shield bolts (the ones I could reach!), 5 bolts/nuts mounting dump to turbo, support bracket bolts and exhaust flange bolts. Leave for 1hr if possible.

Step 4: Remove bellmouth flange bolts/nuts. I recommend a quality hex 14mm socket (impact type) to loosen with breaker bar of something with some leverage. Hex sockets will not round bolts or nut heads. Once loose, you can use a normal 14mm socket or ring spanner using different extensions etc to make it easier.

Step 5: Remove 2 x 14mm bracket/support bolts under vehicle.

Step 6: Remove O2 Sensor - I used a shifter as it is larger than 20mm which is my largest open ender :( Actually came out easy.

Step 7: Remove dump<->mid-pipe flange bolts. At this point you can remove the dump from under vehicle.

Step 8: Re-route O2 sensor cable if required to gain length. This is a two piece cable with connectors. It starts under IC adjacent to pitch rod (turbo side). The loom runs over the bell housing and down the passenger side through some zip ties where the connector is mounted to the side of the gearbox. At this point there is a connector to the second loom that is a shorter length and connects to the O2 sensor. I unclipped, removed the entire cable and once the new dump was in I routed from the O2 sensor back following a very similar path and using as many of the factory ties as possible. On the TurboXS dump I wanted to use the most rear O2 bung as it is post cat and I am hoping for a close to factory install with no disabling of CELs in the ECU. This is the only reason I need to re-route.

Step 9: Fit the bung plugs to those O2 holes you don’t intend to use. I used a very small amount of Permatex Ultra Copper on the thread to prevent leaks (optional).

Step 10: Install the TurboXS dump in two parts is easy. Make sure the gasket is still attached to the back of the turbo (or replace – not necessary usually), line up dump from under vehicle with a couple of the previously removed nuts in your hand to fit and hold in place. From under the bonnet put the other nuts and bolts back on but don't tighten everything right up just yet.

Step 11: Trial fit the second part of the dump to the mid-pipe flange. Check where the O2 will be and if required trim the under body heat shield with tin snips to allow enough clearance around the sensor (at least 10mm in any direction) remembering that everything moves a bit once tightened right up. Use a file to smooth edges of the snipped section to prevent injury or damage to other components.

Step 12: Re-fit O2 sensor with some anti-sieze, check clearance and tighten.

Step 13: Tighten all exhaust nuts & bolts starting with the flange between the top and bottom section of the dump as this is the most difficult to align. Do this while it is not sitting in the hanger mount. Don't forget to use the supplied gasket and spring washers!

Step 13b: OPTIONAL GRIMMSPEED Downsizer. Remove the factory donut gasket from old dump pipe using a large flat head screwdriver and rag and gently pry it evenly off be careful not to damage. Fit this donut onto the Grimmspeed flange. Install the large end of the Grimmspeed adapter (with supplied gasket) into your new dump pipe. I found that due to the large holes in the factory midpipe I needed flat washers on this side and with the spring washer on the other the supplied bolts were not long enough. I decided to use the original bolts with springs removed. A bit of a fiddle but they fit through.

Step 14: Systematically check everything is tight, all gaskets are installed, hanger bolts are re-attached, O2 sensor is installed and not at risk of fouling on the shield, the O2 cable should be safely out of harms way of moving objects and potential crushing from movement in gearbox mounts.

Step 15: This would be to cut the factory heatshield to fit over. I don’t want to butcher mine so I will source a second hand one (probably from an earlier rex as there is less to cut).

Step 16: Re-install IC and engine cover.

Step 17: Apply your updated tune for this upgrade. You should not run without adjusted tune.

DONE!

Conclusion
Overall I was very happy with the quality and fitment of this dump pipe. It provides excellent access to all of the turbo flange bolts (except the minor nut issue) and although like any exhaust fitment requires some man handling I was surprised at how well the factory hanger and everything lined up. The factory donut gasket also allows for some movement so a flex is not needed.
Last edited by Shaheenis on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Re: TurboXS V2 Dump Pipe Install - MY07 GTB

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Great write up! Thanks!

Not much to add other than the option to install Ti wrap on the DP before install.
Extra shielding near the inner cv boot is a good idea too.

If bolts are hard to remove use a blowtorch to loosen them up :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Benny, Good points. I must admit I skipped over the heat shielding fairly quickly, this is actually a really important step. In fact I won't be driving the vehicle much until I get this sorted and have been looking at both Grimmspeed and Perrin heat shield options (unless I can find one of my old rexy ones laying around to cut).

What is TI wrap? I actually was thinking last night I could wrap the dump with heat wrap (I have a quality fibre/ceramic one at home) however I remember being told by Rob Bliss (owns an exhaust shop in Brissy) that heat wrap is evil, especially on stainless. I did a quick google search and found the link below. Apparently it is not recommended as it can react with the metal. I think HPC coating is best (for performance and heat retention) or shielding just for shielding..

http://www.boostcruising.com.au/advice/ ... aders.html

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/perr ... sp-ext-001

This one is designed for LHD but apparently can be easily modified to suit.
http://www.grimmspeed.com/turbo-heat-shield-subaru/
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby peadya100 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Good on you for doing this!!
Would be awesome if we had a "how to" like this for everything liberty related... no matter how big or small. Even on the small jobs there's always something that comes up that you didnt expect.

For example, changing the number plate lights on a wagon without stripping the screws..... my advice, save the swearing and get someone else to do it for you hahaha
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Yeah the HPC vs wrap debate rages.
Wrap is said to be not great at all: if it gets oil or water on it.
So sheild it? Ti wrap = lava wrap eg DEI wrap, best quality...
ACL heat shield from SCA is a great option too, eg for near the cv boot...
I want to use all three. :shock:

As for the wag reverse lamp screws I might try long Allen head stainless bolts for sanitys sake :P
bigBADbenny

Postby Newbie GT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Yeah the HPC vs wrap debate rages.
Wrap is said to be not great at all: if it gets oil or water on it.
So sheild it? Ti wrap = lava wrap eg DEI wrap, best quality...
ACL heat shield from SCA is a great option too, eg for near the cv boot...
I want to use all three. :shock:

As for the wag reverse lamp screws I might try long Allen head stainless bolts for sanitys sake :P

Do dump pipes need to be wrapped after installed ?

And I notice with mind it's very close to firewall insulation not touching but close !!

How about you guys ?
Newbie GT

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 pm

No but it's a good idea to insulate any exhaust components to keep exhaust gas velocity up, to reduce heatsoak, and to protect adjacent parts from heat.
bigBADbenny

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:29 am

I did some searching on the web and decided to make my own heat shield. They are quite simple to make and found someone with a template they had made.

As I am busy renovating my kitchen, dad offered to make it out of some aviation aluminium scrap he had but you can get aluminium sheets fairly cheaply from bunnings etc. This stuff is quite thick, the ticker the better but you need to be able to work with it..

Link to thread:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install ... hield.html

Link to rough template:
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1255/img3648jh.jpg

Photo of mine:

Once I get my hands on it I will paint it in heat proof paint just to improve the look, probs black like the dude in the thread.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Here is a photo of the heatshield installed and painted black. Just so you are aware if you are planning to make one, the plan that I found and linked is not perfect, I had to make some slight modifications to fit mine and I drilled the bolt holes after trial fitting it but it actually fits really well and provides a lot of shielding. Very happy with the end product :). PM me if you want to know more details. The aluminium was actually aviation scrap so cost nothing so the cost to make this was zero.

Also with the dump only and stock exhaust and mufflers I noticed a more raw growl to the exhaust. Not more of a boxer note, just more growl which is cool. Oh yes and performance is definately improved :twisted:.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby peadya100 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 pm

Is there really a performance gain just from a heat shield? Or only a gain when driving hard and helping to prevent heat soak?
If theres a performance gain I should have been on this a year ago!

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Adam, did you just read my last post? I didn't mean the heatshield improved performance I was referring to the dump pipe. However removing the heatshield will definitely reduce responsiveness when accelerating the vehicle from a stand still as this is when the extreme heat radiating from the turbo housing will heat up the intercooler (assuming TMIC) because there is no airflow to cool the IC and combat this.

I am also concerned with it damaging nearby parts due to the huge amount of heat radiating from the exhaust housing over time. There is a reason why SUbaru use them on every turbo model so you should use one. The best heatshield design I have seen on a Subaru is on the RS Turbo, Legacy GT which is actually a chimney style that fits into the inner bonnet scoop shield when the bonnet is closed so the heat from turbo escapes out through the scoop. The scoop on those cars is purely for the venting of turbo heat, not to directly cool the IC as they are a WAIC, not an air to air like our cars.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby peadya100 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Sorry I got confused as your last post was all about the heat shield and then you went on to talk about the performance gain... I forgot what the original post was about. Hahaha

So are the factory heat shields inadequate?

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

the factory heatshields are definitely adequate. that's why most of us either leave them as is or slightly trim them...depending on dump pipe obviously.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Agree the factory heat shield is fine. It is just a heat shield. I didn't want to cut mine up as if I put the exhaust back to stock down the track I want everything (the two part factory heat shield) to bolt up just as it did when I removed it.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby shav » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm

This is a top thread. Thanks for spending the time to write this up. Although I'm unsure if the stock heat shield will bolt on to any aftermarket dump with out some form of modification. Happy to be proven wrong. Because I'd rather use the stock heat shield if possible.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Next

Return to Exhausts