Gen V Dump Pipe - Suppliers and fit to Std Mufflers

Exhaust modifications

Gen V Dump Pipe - Suppliers and fit to Std Mufflers

Postby Fish Jetski » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 am

[Apologies for this rant in advance] :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil:

When I bought my Gen V GT Manual I never thought it would be so hard to spend $5k upgrading it! With my MY09 Forester I spent $700 on a Turbo XS dump pipe and cat and spent about $1200 on what I thought was a decent tune and that was it!

So....I went back to the same tuner and went down the same path...ok tried to...because Turbo XS no longer supply exhausts for new models (certainly not for the Mk V Liberty), then tried Garage 88 - they get theirs from HKS. So rang HKS who said they don't import them and any ones that Garage 88 import are not legal in Australia (?!?). Plus Garage 88 told me that you have to remove the subframe to fit the exhaust so it's an extra several hundred in labour bringing the down pipe fitted total to just under $2k! So that left XForce, CEL, MRT and a custom one. Not a fan of either CEL or XForce because of prior experience and forum comments when I used to own a WRX, and apparently their dump pipes won't fit the standard centre pipe and mufflers, and by the time you frig around with it you end up paying the same for the dump pipe and custom flange which causes some power loss as you do for a full system. I don't want a full exhaust due to noise and don't see a point of the varex exhaust as it has less power than standard mufflers unless it is loud, and there are mixed responses about it that it actually damages the engine under power when closed.

Which leaves me with the dreaded MRT and custom. Custom I got quoted $4,400 for dump, cat and centre pipe, and while the full XB Kit is $5k, with the help of my tuner, he negotiated significantly under $4k for the dump, pipe and centre 'XB Option Kit' from MRT. It's still nearly double for what I paid for the same setup for the Forester, but I have tried ringing enough people who are not interested in helping me that I simply don't have the time to invest much more in being stuffed around. I think it's all well and good for many to bag the MRT solution, but at least they have a plug and play solution. My tuner said that while for Rexes and so forth their value can reduce, for newer cars, they are quite competitive and with their warranty are a good deal. And at least my tuner does a good job, so I know that he will get the best out of it (three tunes including 'RaceRom' which has a few bells and whistles).

Fingers crossed that I don't end up with a bad story to tell like some others on this forum!

Anybody else got experience with a dump pipe from MRT on the Gen V GT?

Note: I am happy to be corrected on any items above that you *know* are incorrect, but given all of the above was info direct from companies and distributors, I would only really listen to people who have first hand experience and can provide proof!
Fish Jetski

Re: Gen V Dump Pipe - Suppliers and fit to Std Mufflers

Postby Gen5is » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 am

Try to find other jap importers.. everyone on here seems to rely on G88 a lot for some reason.. :/

Here's a list of some that you can import from.

perfectrun.jp
- Sydney/Japan based importer, they have an office in Homebush, if i recall correctly. I've ordered coilovers from them, very cheap and very quick delivery. They post by EMS.

japanparts.com
- Overseas importer they import/export internationally, i was skeptical at first but i ordered a fascia kit thats only avaliable in japan, i think.. i could of probably ordered through Subaru Australia but I'd rather not get raped on the cost lol.. very reliable, very quick delivery. They also post by EMS.

jessestreeter.com
Havent ordered from this guy yet, but he seems reliable and started out importing stuff to Australia which gained popularity really quick and now he exports to other countries. I might try ordering from him next time i need something.

You should get the HKS dump pipe from one of these guys or through G88.. Did you call HKS Australia? They probably said that because they didn't want you to buy the dump pipe from G88 since they most likely it import it from HKS Japan, which would mean HKS Australia would lose out in sales and etc..
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby blacktop™ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 am

Speak to Geno or one of the other guys with a gen v who have done the dump pipe mod.

I ordered a heap of stuff thru Jesse for my old car. Very easy to deal with and extremely fast with email response and quotes are spot on. Haven't used him in the last 5 or so years though.
Jesse also does yahoo auction stuff.

Edit: corrected spelling of Geno :)
Last edited by blacktop™ on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby pips06 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:14 pm

There's also AVO and Hitech. Both around the $700 mark.
K2 | DAMD | Brembo | STI | HKS | Rays Homura | KiDo | Tein | Corazon | Valenti | Crystal Eye
pips06

Car: Gen V SWP Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16415

Postby mongmong77 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Fish Jetski wrote:[Apologies for this rant in advance] :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil:

When I bought my Gen V GT Manual I never thought it would be so hard to spend $5k upgrading it! With my MY09 Forester I spent $700 on a Turbo XS dump pipe and cat and spent about $1200 on what I thought was a decent tune and that was it!

So....I went back to the same tuner and went down the same path...ok tried to...because Turbo XS no longer supply exhausts for new models (certainly not for the Mk V Liberty), then tried Garage 88 - they get theirs from HKS. So rang HKS who said they don't import them and any ones that Garage 88 import are not legal in Australia (?!?). Plus Garage 88 told me that you have to remove the subframe to fit the exhaust so it's an extra several hundred in labour bringing the down pipe fitted total to just under $2k! So that left XForce, CEL, MRT and a custom one. Not a fan of either CEL or XForce because of prior experience and forum comments when I used to own a WRX, and apparently their dump pipes won't fit the standard centre pipe and mufflers, and by the time you frig around with it you end up paying the same for the dump pipe and custom flange which causes some power loss as you do for a full system. I don't want a full exhaust due to noise and don't see a point of the varex exhaust as it has less power than standard mufflers unless it is loud, and there are mixed responses about it that it actually damages the engine under power when closed.

Which leaves me with the dreaded MRT and custom. Custom I got quoted $4,400 for dump, cat and centre pipe, and while the full XB Kit is $5k, with the help of my tuner, he negotiated significantly under $4k for the dump, pipe and centre 'XB Option Kit' from MRT. It's still nearly double for what I paid for the same setup for the Forester, but I have tried ringing enough people who are not interested in helping me that I simply don't have the time to invest much more in being stuffed around. I think it's all well and good for many to bag the MRT solution, but at least they have a plug and play solution. My tuner said that while for Rexes and so forth their value can reduce, for newer cars, they are quite competitive and with their warranty are a good deal. And at least my tuner does a good job, so I know that he will get the best out of it (three tunes including 'RaceRom' which has a few bells and whistles).

Fingers crossed that I don't end up with a bad story to tell like some others on this forum!

Note: I am happy to be corrected on any items above that you *know* are incorrect, but given all of the above was info direct from companies and distributors, I would only really listen to people who have first hand experience and can provide proof!

dam that was a big rant !

Go HKS or Tommy Kaira dump pipe thru garage 88. Not only do you get the best products/price but u also get added info and service/guarantee that the item will fit on your car. Just remember that the jap companies spend lotsa $$$$ on research and development for products.
Go to MRT if you wanna piss $5K/$10K down the drain.
Companies will not sell to you as they only deal with retailers/distributors/wholesalers.
And the retailers will tell anything to make a profit.
PM me if u need more info.
Whats wrong with Rice ?
mongmong77

Car: Subaru Liberty GT MY10

Postby satogixxer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 am

mongmong77 wrote:
Fish Jetski wrote:[Apologies for this rant in advance] :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil:

dam that was a big rant !

Go HKS or Tommy Kaira dump pipe thru garage 88. Not only do you get the best products/price but u also get added info and service/guarantee that the item will fit on your car. Just remember that the jap companies spend lotsa $$$$ on research and development for products.
Go to MRT if you wanna piss $5K/$10K down the drain.
Companies will not sell to you as they only deal with retailers/distributors/wholesalers.
And the retailers will tell anything to make a profit.
PM me if u need more info.

+1
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
satogixxer

Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495

Postby senator » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 am

Fish Jetski wrote: So rang HKS who said they don't import them and any ones that Garage 88 import are not legal in Australia (?!?). !

You speak Japanese???

Any modification made to the OE spec of the car is deemed illegal…… so any aftermarket dump is a NO NO.

Sub frame needs to be dropped to fit the dump, due to the low mount location of the turbo.

Good luck with MRT, $$$$ pissed against the wall.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Around $700 for XForce dump pipe to bolt onto the stock catback

Parts you need are ES-SL10-FDC and ES-SL10-C

That said, full TBE system for $1295: http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/produ ... a07c244098
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby mongmong77 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:30 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Around $700 for XForce dump pipe to bolt onto the stock catback

Parts you need are ES-SL10-FDC and ES-SL10-C

That said, full TBE system for $1295: http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/produ ... a07c244098

My previous system was Xforce TBE. Didnt have any problems
Whats wrong with Rice ?
mongmong77

Car: Subaru Liberty GT MY10

Return to Exhausts