Ebay Exhaust

Exhaust modifications

Ebay Exhaust

Postby turbolag » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Hey guys,

Just bought a "Auturbo cat back exhaust system" off ebay for $480 odd and i just thought i'd share my experiences with you guys and anyone considering buying this product.

First impressions where good, this system looked like what you would expect from a more expensive system as far as neat welds and blemish free stainless. I then removed my old system (Stock)and began to install the ebay system up to the already present 3" s/s i had fitted when i did my turbo upgrade. At first everything seemed to fit very good and it wasn't until i got to installing the mufflers/tailpipe section of this 4 piece kit that i realised this was not going to be a "perfect fit". After a bit of stuffing around i had the whole system bolted together and began going around tightening all the nuts, it was during this process that i realised the tail pipes did not sit in the middle of rear bar exhaust cutouts and where in fact not even straight and no amount of adjusting mounts etc was going to fix that. This was going to be a job for the exhaust shop. My next disappointment came when i started the car only to hear the noise everyone dreads when installing a new system, thats right an exhaust leak!!! WTF. It was coming from the Y pipe where the 1 pipe splits into 2. I contacted the seller but have received no reply as of yet, I am going to have to take it to the exhaust shop on monday and have the leak welded and the muffler/tailpipes altered so that they come out straight. Apart from that i am happy with the exhaust note that comes from this system and once i get the leak fixed i will upload a sound clip for people to listen to.
turbolag

Car: 05 liberty gt

Re: Ebay Exhaust

Postby PoidaGT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Exhausts lining up perfectly are pretty rare.
My Y pipe had to be minipulated for the mufflers to fit properly (others have had similar problems)
You'll find that the dump flange connection make leak at some point as well.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Postby Newbie GT » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:16 am

PoidaGT wrote:Exhausts lining up perfectly are pretty rare.
My Y pipe had to be minipulated for the mufflers to fit properly (others have had similar problems)

What issues did you have Pete ? Did you get leaks on dump too ? How did you minipulate can't you just adjust mufflers on hangers ?

Xforce yeh ?
Newbie GT

Postby PoidaGT » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Newbie GT wrote:
PoidaGT wrote:Exhausts lining up perfectly are pretty rare.

What issues did you have Pete ? Did you get leaks on dump too ? How did you minipulate can't you just adjust mufflers on hangers ?

Xforce yeh ?

MSR put a big rod into the muffler and kept pushing to one side until the mufflers were in the right position.

The dump flange will come loose while one side is still OEM. (Diffetent flange types)
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Postby dubbwah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Same here, the local exhaust shop unbolted from the Y back to straighten it out once the tips were welded on.
They were shaking the shit out of it but its perfect!
MY10 Liberty GT Wagon
dubbwah

Car: MY10 - Liberty GT Wagon

Postby turbolag » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:40 am

Ok so end result was that the rear side of the join on the Y pipe had not been welded at all from factory so i had that welded up and also a spacer inserted between the end of the Y pipe and the left muffler pipe and also had the bend angle on the pipe behind both mufflers straightened so they fit perfectly in the middle of the rear bar cut outs now and it looks and sounds great. I was going to upload sound clips before and after but for some reason no matter how i took the videos they didn't really capture much of the exhaust sound at all. All in all cost me approx $600 with product, postage and exhaust work that had to be done so i still came out well and truly ahead. Ebay seller paid for the Y pipe to be rewelded so I'm happy with that. I did the other stuff because i am very picky but it could have been left if you where less..... obsessive
turbolag

Car: 05 liberty gt

Postby oldmate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Glad to hear of a happy ending mate. I was tossing up between that one or an ultrex one. Ive ordered the ultrex cat back, but it would be good to hear the noise difference. Fingers crossed it fits.
My05 Liberty GT Premium Wagon - Team White - Custom 3" Dump Pipe - Ultrex Cat Back Exhaust/Custom Twin Tips - K&N Filter - DIY Mesh Grill - Resonectomy - 18" King Wheels (Drifta) - Kobe Motorsport Silicon Inlet + SFB - Kobe Motorsport 50/50 BOV - Anycarlink 1080d - Whiteline Rear Sway Bars - AVO HD Mounts - Trailboss HD Towbar - DBA T2 Slotted Rotors Front And Rear
oldmate

Car: MY05 2.0T Liberty GT Wagon

Postby Boostaddict » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm

turbolag wrote:Ok so end result was that the rear side of the join on the Y pipe had not been welded at all from factory so i had that welded up and also a spacer inserted between the end of the Y pipe and the left muffler pipe and also had the bend angle on the pipe behind both mufflers straightened so they fit perfectly in the middle of the rear bar cut outs now and it looks and sounds great. I was going to upload sound clips before and after but for some reason no matter how i took the videos they didn't really capture much of the exhaust sound at all. All in all cost me approx $600 with product, postage and exhaust work that had to be done so i still came out well and truly ahead. Ebay seller paid for the Y pipe to be rewelded so I'm happy with that. I did the other stuff because i am very picky but it could have been left if you where less..... obsessive

Mate i bought the same thing and it had the same crap left muffler alignment. The exhaust shop put a big rod in the end like mentioned previously and heated up the bend in the exhaust just behind the muffler and also put in an extra flange in the joint between the muffler and y pipe. It still doesnt sit 100% right and think they sit too low and the tips are seaigned for a wagon so they stick out too far.

Gunna source new tips... Sorta done that just waiting on some measurements. And then get my mechanic to get them to sit right with the new tips.!!
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Return to Exhausts