STi/WRX widebody sedan catback onto 3RB wagz

Exhaust modifications

Re: STi/WRX widebody sedan catback onto 3RB wagz

Postby Robbks » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 am

I'm actually thinking of just buying a metre of 2.5" stainless pipe and making 4 tips out of it that will look just like the liberty TB STi tips
I'd cut back the original protrusions to allow the tips to fit over them tightly and use a 3 grub screws to hold them on.
much more simple than cut/ shut and extend, especially with the space constraints.
So I would have mufflers from a PROPER STi that look identical to the TB STi muff's with s/s quad tips for half the price of what people have paid for the TB STi muffs....

I might do similar with some mild-steel and the original 3" tips aswell to see what looks best.

using grub screws rather than weld ing ton the tips will also allow the tips themselves to be aligned/ twisted as needed

coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 am

Way less fitment hassles too: l like a your style! :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dle » Tue May 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Have you fitted them on the wagz yet Rob? Curious to hear what they sound like on the 3RB
dle

Car: MY05 Lib GT

Postby Robbks » Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

EDITED:

Right got them both on,
alignment came up pretty good, they do both sit a little towards the inside of the vehicle.
Definitely need the hangers raising, and there's no way the twin 3" tips will fit without cutting the bar right back to within 10-20mm of the rear face of it.

As for the note, those looking for a significant increase in volume over stock will be disappointed,
I'm a little disappointed in how quiet they are, but they're a little more open sounding than stock,
A deeper note than stock just off idle which allows you to hear teh car when manouvering in teh driveway/ car-park, which does not exist on stock muffs
pretty much nothing to be heard under 3000rpm, but from then they do have a more deep-raspy tone compared with stock which does sound much better in the upper rev range than the airy note from the standard cans.
I reckon a 3" centre-pipe could sound quite meaty on these, I'd be interested to borrow an aftermarket centre and Y-section if anyone is keen to post it

But these would open up nicely with the raptor headers I would suggest

EDIT:

A good run down the highway today and i'm pleasantly suprised to actually hear them as you're going along.
2500-3500 rpm gives a nice audible gurgle. none of the low-frequency (more intrusive) note that you expect from big straight through mufflers..

Decided I'm going with twin 2" stainless tips all the way from the muffler body.
staggered and slash cut, I can make the 4 tips from 1 metre of 2" s/s pipe. bargain!
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Postby vaccine » Thu May 23, 2013 7:57 pm

My 3" tips are staggered ;-)
I'll take some rear pics when I'm back in vic.
I also decided to extend about 15mm past bumper, looks good!
.. Dave
vaccine

Car: MY05 3RB

Postby dle » Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Robbks wrote:EDITED:

Right got them both on,
alignment came up pretty good, they do both sit a little towards the inside of the vehicle.
Definitely need the hangers raising, and there's no way the twin 3" tips will fit without cutting the bar right back to within 10-20mm of the rear face of it.

As for the note, those looking for a significant increase in volume over stock will be disappointed,
I'm a little disappointed in how quiet they are, but they're a little more open sounding than stock,
A deeper note than stock just off idle which allows you to hear teh car when manouvering in teh driveway/ car-park, which does not exist on stock muffs
pretty much nothing to be heard under 3000rpm, but from then they do have a more deep-raspy tone compared with stock which does sound much better in the upper rev range than the airy note from the standard cans.
I reckon a 3" centre-pipe could sound quite meaty on these, I'd be interested to borrow an aftermarket centre and Y-section if anyone is keen to post it

EDIT:

A good run down the highway today and i'm pleasantly suprised to actually hear them as you're going along.
2500-3500 rpm gives a nice audible gurgle. none of the low-frequency (more intrusive) note that you expect from big straight through mufflers..

Decided I'm going with twin 2" stainless tips all the way from the muffler body.
staggered and slash cut, I can make the 4 tips from 1 metre of 2" s/s pipe. bargain!

Probably couldn't word it better myself, very similar experience when I first had them on my GT. IMO the Xforce Mid and Y pipe for the H6 would be awesome. The stock resonator on our cars does a pretty good job to keep the exhaust quiet so the 2.25" straight to mufflers with hot dog resonator should definitely open it up. Heard Mickyboy's 3.0R with xforce mid and y on STI quads and it was noiceeeee!

Keen on seeing some pics once you have those tips on! I wish I could've sourced a beer welder!
dle

Postby dle » Thu May 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Robbks wrote:EDITED:

Right got them both on,

EDIT:

Probably couldn't word it better myself, very similar experience when I first had them on my GT. IMO the Xforce Mid and Y pipe for the H6 would be awesome. The stock resonator on our cars does a pretty good job to keep the exhaust quiet so the 2.25" straight to mufflers with hot dog resonator should definitely open it up. Heard Mickyboy's 3.0R with xforce mid and y on STI quads and it was noiceeeee!

Keen on seeing some pics once you have those tips on! I wish I could've sourced a beer welder!
dle

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Great stuff!
3 sets on the go and all different ftw.
I beleive Simon is as yet to fit his, he should try to get the STi sedan mid IMHO.
Can't wait for all the pics lol ;)
bigBADbenny

Postby dle » Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Great stuff!
3 sets on the go and all different ftw.
I beleive Simon is as yet to fit his, he should try to get the STi sedan mid IMHO.
Can't wait for all the pics lol ;)

Any idea what the diameter is on the STI mid? It seems pretty small on my mates WRX
dle

Postby vaccine » Mon May 27, 2013 12:42 am

STi mid section is 2.25" OD and 1.75" OD from rear y-pipe to mufflers.

Has anyone shown the difference between straight through mufflers and baffled mufflers(OEM)?
That straight through mufflers reduce torque from loss of back-pressure on NA's??

Raptor headers arrived while i was away, fitting them tomoz. 8)
.. Dave
vaccine

Postby Robbks » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Road and bum dyno says no, (2x 2.5" redback straight throughs)
my 40-> 140 run is the same

i.e I have two points on this piece of road (in outback NT),
as i pass the first 'marker' at 40km/h in 3rd gear (to use all the rev range) I mash the loud pedal
when I reach the other 'marker', i'm doing 140.

If I'd lost torque, I wouldn't get to the speed by that marker, if i've gained power, I'm going faster by that point.
Robbks

Postby vaccine » Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 pm

in NT huh? :roll: :lol: :lol:
.. Dave
vaccine

Postby Robbks » Tue May 28, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah, i just pop over the ditch anytime i need to do some runs..!
Robbks

Postby Alkem1st » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Hey all,

Digging up this post as I'm about to grab some 2013 wrx quad mufflers for my preface GT. So from what I'm reading, if I can grab the mid pipe also I can save a fair bit of effort and it mostly fits up to the dump pipe?

I'm wanting to avoid cutting up my bumper so might do the same with the tips as that's a great idea!

Any help from your experiences much appreciated!!
Alkem1st

Car: MY07 Liberty GT SpecB
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20099

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:10 am

Assuming the c-c spacing of the tips is very similar, yes. The tips will need extending and the inlet flange and hangers need rejigging and tips extending and staggering. Fitment on a sedan requires staggering tips and not sure if it's been done successfully at all...
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to Exhausts