2.5i 2007 Liberty N/A

Exhaust modifications

2.5i 2007 Liberty N/A

Postby TomFowler » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey,

Just wondering, i've just bought myself a MY07 4GEN 2.5i Liberty sedan and im after a nicer "WRXy" Rumble... similar to the the current STI WRX hatch's that you see.
I'm after a relatively quite can but with a nice tone when you poke it. I guess not loud but when it goes past you can tell its not standard!

Any input would be great!!! Thanks :)
TomFowler
-stickered-

Car: MY07 2.5i Liberty Sedan

Re: 2.5i 2007 Liberty N/A

Postby Kody.B » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 pm

To get the Rexxie rumble you need unequal length headers - causing you to loose some power. These can be gotten cheap off of eBay (Borla replicas) however I hear they are renowned for cracked welds sometimes; you get what you pay for. That being said some people have had them without issues.

From there a catback into a set of quiet mufflers (STI's, TCP's maybe) would leave you with a nice rumble and not an OTT noise level.
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Postby TomFowler » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Kody.B wrote:To get the Rexxie rumble you need unequal length headers - causing you to loose some power. These can be gotten cheap off of eBay (Borla replicas) however I hear they are renowned for cracked welds sometimes; you get what you pay for. That being said some people have had them without issues.

From there a catback into a set of quiet mufflers (STI's, TCP's maybe) would leave you with a nice rumble and not an OTT noise level.

Thanks for that mate, yea look thats often the case with a lot of things you really do get what you pay for. While i want to keep it cheap im happy to fork out on quality parts cause hopefully they're going to last.

Is there anyway to get the rexxie rumble without changing the headers?
TomFowler
-stickered-

Postby Kody.B » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Not that I know of unfortunately :(

With a catback, the 2.5i sounds (IMO) high pitched and raspy, no where near the rumble that the WRX's get.
The headers I spoke of were roughly $250. An Xforce Catback with set you back $500 ish. Add installation and you're looking at about $1k for the sound.
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Postby TomFowler » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Kody.B wrote:Not that I know of unfortunately :(

With a catback, the 2.5i sounds (IMO) high pitched and raspy, no where near the rumble that the WRX's get.
The headers I spoke of were roughly $250. An Xforce Catback with set you back $500 ish. Add installation and you're looking at about $1k for the sound.

haha a lot of money for a sound isn't it!!! I've been looking at xforce lately, they look like they have a good product. A friend of mine is currently putting a full xforce system on his lancer so i'm kind of waiting to see how that goes and how they age whilst i have a look around and get exactly what i want!!!
Just so hard to look at a website and read about the sound its meant to produce... when in actual fact it could be something completely different...
TomFowler
-stickered-

Postby TomFowler » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Say if i just got different mufflers, left everything else standard obviously that would change the note... yea?

Im just after a nice sounds would something like that help towards that?
TomFowler
-stickered-

Postby Kody.B » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 am

Well $1,000 isn't bad for a full exhaust, I know a lot of other cars which easily crack $1500.
Changing the mufflers does change the noise, obviously you'd have to change the type of muffler to one allowing a lot more noise if you're trying to get a note just by changing the muffler.

The problem is, decent mufflers will set you back anywhere from $200-$600 as well :/

Two things I'd do if I were you, first take your mufflers off and see how it sounds (I don't recommend leaving it like this :P).
Each to their own, some like it, some don't, it will give you an idea of what it will sound like by changing the mufflers.
Second, if you have an exhaust shop you know of, go in there and ask a few questions about what they can do.

I haven't had a close look at my exhaust for a while so I'm not sure what the 2.5's have, but depending on how many cats it has you may be able to delete one, change centre mufflers etc etc to change the sound as well.
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Postby d-chang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey guys,

I couldn't help but read this thread. I've got a MY06 2.0L, and I have somewhat achieved the boxer rumble without UEL headers... The boxer rumble is quite subtle at first, but once it goes over 2,000-3,500rpm, it's there, any higher it sounds like a VTEC... :lol: fantastic through tunnels and underground carparks!! :D

I have a full X-Force system, which is 2.25 if I remember correctly all the way through in stainless steel and out to dual 4" tips. At first this system was extremely tame, I went to Genie exhausts (not sure if its a WA brand exclusively - and also not the place I initially had it fitted), and asked the guy there specifically to make it more free flowing and louder a bit. All he did, was take off the major muffler (in our model Kodi, we have 2 resonators and 1 muffler, don't know about the post face Libs). In its place is a straight through pipe 2.5" connecting my Y pipe to the existing second resonator. In future, we (Genie Exhaust guy and myself) are planning to remove all the resonators and just put 1 hotdog or resonator/muffler and just 2.5" piping all the way through. Because also, our Cat is located right next to the right hand wheel. I always thought the cats where in the middle of the car.
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby Kody.B » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Awesome info Daniel! I'll keep that in my for when I eventually get mine done (in about 2025...)

Do you have any vids?
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Postby Kormoran » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Throw some quads on Daniel, it sounds great with the xforce center/y pipe! :)
Kormoran

Car: MY06 Liberty 2.0R 5MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17776

Postby d-chang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Kody.B wrote:Awesome info Daniel! I'll keep that in my for when I eventually get mine done (in about 2025...)

Do you have any vids?

Hahah! Kody, don't say that mate, you got wheels and halos, that's 2 more things on yours over mine! Exhaust wouldn't be too expensive to rig up. I also noticed on the X Force system, apparently they are made like on a jig or production line, so if any worker bumps this jig, defects could happen to the exhaust. Like mine for example, the right side is slightly longer than the left.... Yes I know, I only found out last week actually that my right exhaust tip protrudes about a centimetre more than the left from the bumper... Only noticeable when you line up the 'XForce' signature on the tips though...

And no I don't have any vids post Genie mod yet.... I might need to take some. :D

Kormoran wrote:Throw some quads on Daniel, it sounds great with the xforce center/y pipe! :)

Hahaha! If I can find some at a decent price, I wouldn't mind a change!!
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Postby peadya100 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Just changing the mufflers definitely makes a change to the exhaust note.. however the NA liberties just tend to get a deeper note rather than the rumble. Still sounds quite good though!
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby Kormoran » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:20 pm

d-chang wrote:
Kormoran wrote:Throw some quads on Daniel, it sounds great with the xforce center/y pipe! :)

Hahaha! If I can find some at a decent price, I wouldn't mind a change!!

Do it! haha
IMO I found with the 4" tips to be quite.. for want of a better word 'raspy' i guess? Compared to the quads anyway, they give it a nice deep boxer purr on idle and a roar on WOT ;)

Happy to get a clip if anyone likes of course :P
Kormoran

Car: MY06 Liberty 2.0R 5MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17776

Postby d-chang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

How's your car coming along though Matt?

d-chang
-stickered-

Return to Exhausts