Phat GT dump pipe vs MSR dump pipe

Exhaust modifications

Re: Phat GT dump pipe vs MSR dump pipe

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:Yeah sounds great, has a very deep sound to it (travels right through our house when the car is warming up idling at 1500rpm which Mum hates) but not loud if that makes any sense. No noise cruising at 60kmph in 6th (car has enough torque to happily do this).

No idea what peak torque is, but it's enough to reach the limits of my tyres foot to the floor from rolling :D

Or for that matter in 6th at 60kmph. :?
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Kekotic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 pm

You guys don't take off from a stand still in 6th?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby mynameisdaniel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm always cruising around in 6th... As soon as I get to 60 and know I just have to maintain speed I put it in 6th and happily cruise along. No point making the car sit at higher revs than it needs to :)
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby dr20t » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:I'm always cruising around in 6th... As soon as I get to 60 and know I just have to maintain speed I put it in 6th and happily cruise along. No point making the car sit at higher revs than it needs to :)

:shock:

Stop doing this please it makes my ears hurt
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby mynameisdaniel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 pm

dr20t wrote:
mynameisdaniel wrote:I'm always cruising around in 6th... As soon as I get to 60 and know I just have to maintain speed I put it in 6th and happily cruise along. No point making the car sit at higher revs than it needs to :)

Problem?
mynameisdaniel

Postby agan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:00 am

Reuben - Wasn't sure if the auto box holds it at 4 or 5 when cruising at 60/70. Drones like crap when I had the ultrex quads/tbe setup. MUCH more bearable with the TBSTI quads.
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby peadya100 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 am

agan wrote:Reuben - Wasn't sure if the auto box holds it at 4 or 5 when cruising at 60/70. Drones like crap when I had the ultrex quads/tbe setup. MUCH more bearable with the TBSTI quads.

My auto gearbox puts it into 5th at 60kph.. not sure why.. must be better for fuel economy???
Ive always owned manual cars before this one and used to stay in 4th until 70-75kph.

As for drone, i have the Hi-Tech quads and my car is silent at cruising speeds... the only time it gets louder is under load and even then its certainly not unbearable. Unfortunately if you want more power, more noise is an almost unavoidable by-product.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby spec.B » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 pm

peadya100 wrote:
spec.B wrote:Appreciate the insight guys.

What's generally the next step (and associated cost) after upgrading exhaust? Injectors/fuel pump and then turbo?

Trying to figure if I'll be disappointed with just exhaust and tune, and should perhaps look at going one step further to avoid another wasting money on another tune in the future.

ninja edit: before anyone suggests, ethanol is off the cards, I just don't see it being a practical option.

MSR will recommend a new intake - $400 installed. He said it gives you 4-6kw across the rev range and makes the turbo spool up sooner. Plus it gives the car a great turbo whistle sound.

Exhaust and tune combined with the intake will be more than enough for your first step. If you wanted to go further you could get the bigger turbo like poida did but its going to cost you around 1600 installed on top of the rest of your work. And MSR pushes the blouch turbo's which are another $400 dearer than the VF52 that poida got.

MSR claims that changing the intercooler gains you nothing at the power we're dealing with and warns that its a big waste of money.

I looked at the fuel pump and injectors idea.. it will gain you some power but will obviously make you go through fuel a lot faster.

I will eventually get the bigger turbo, but am glad im doing it in 2 stages... but if you have the money to do the turbo now, it will save you 300-400 on a retune.

Ok, sounds like you've got it sorted, intake + turbo back exhaust to stock mufflers and a tune, which is back at square one what MSR suggested anyway.

Experienced opinion was on the money, who'd have thought? :lol:

Re the fuel; I'd have thought fuel consumption was a function of energy used, rather than the fuel pressure/max flow rate the pump can deliver.

Just to clarify, you seem to think power limitations are due to turbo capacity at high rpms, and a larger turbo is "stage 2" per se?
spec.B

Postby Kekotic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:25 pm

spec.B wrote:Re the fuel; I'd have thought fuel consumption was a function of energy used, rather than the fuel pressure/max flow rate the pump can deliver.

Just to clarify, you seem to think power limitations are due to turbo capacity at high rpms, and a larger turbo is "stage 2" per se?

Correct.

The only way to push 200 on the stock turbo is with E85.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby bosc0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:
dr20t wrote:

Problem?

Doing so will make you car labour and thus causing your drivetrain to wear out quicker than it should. You'll most likely end up with rattles due to the vibration caused by the labouring. Not to mention your fuel consumption would be greatly increased by doing so.

I would not put the car in 6th at anything under 80kph.
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Jake, if you're on a flat surface and maintaining a constant speed surely if anything you'd be causing less strain on your drivetrain given it will be operating at lower rpms?

Edit: for the post-facelift, what would sixth be revving at if you're going 80km/h? I know pre-facelift sits around 2000rpm
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby bosc0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Fine line i'd say. Coasting in 6th @ 60, maybe. I'm sure you'd feel some lash as soon as you tapped the go pedal. But if you are on the gas at all @ such low rpm, it aint going to be good. There's no need.

Right gear for the right speed. It's why you have 6 of them.
bosc0

Postby mynameisdaniel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Yeah the car definitely doesn't labour in 6th at 60. I can accelerate still (obviously slowly). The car won't labour until it gets under 50kmph, at which point 5th gets used ;)
mynameisdaniel

Postby bosc0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:I can accelerate still (obviously slowly)

Read: labouring.
bosc0

Postby peadya100 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm

spec.B wrote:
Ok, sounds like you've got it sorted, intake + turbo back exhaust to stock mufflers and a tune, which is back at square one what MSR suggested anyway.

Experienced opinion was on the money, who'd have thought? :lol:

Re the fuel; I'd have thought fuel consumption was a function of energy used, rather than the fuel pressure/max flow rate the pump can deliver.

Yeah stock turbo cant hold the boost pressure for long.. where as larger after market turbo's can hold the pressure right through the rev range.

Much to MSR's disgust, i went for after market mufflers which im glad i did... i love the sound of my car now!! It certainly doesnt sound like a bankstown wrx so dont be too worried about that.

As for fuel usage, i agree with what you said, but to gain peak power they increase the amount of fuel injected, thus increasing usage. Of course thats only going to be an issue when youre flooring it... but lets face it, youre not modding the car to drive it at 2000rpm. :lol:
Last edited by peadya100 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

PreviousNext

Return to Exhausts