Weak links in Gen4 Exhaust. Is the Y pipe?

Exhaust modifications

Re: Weak links in Gen4 Exhaust. Is the Y pipe?

Postby shav » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Kekotic wrote:
shav wrote:Seeing as I have a sedan, I reckon I could get away with the stock center pipe.

I do not understand what you mean

Sorry.
I meant with regards to your first video, I could just do the dump and mufflers and keep the stock mid sections as is.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Kekotic » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:45 pm

shav wrote:
Kekotic wrote:
shav wrote:Seeing as I have a sedan, I reckon I could get away with the stock center pipe.

I do not understand what you mean

Sorry.
I meant with regards to your first video, I could just do the dump and mufflers and keep the stock mid sections as is.

Yeah you could. Or you could make the car sound 10 times better and do the mid section too. That was the point of my videos.
Low end sounds similar (in the vids, different IRL due to different recording devices and distances in my videois) but where the real beauty of the 2.5 boxer comes out is the top end. And then just managing it properly with a decent centre so you can avoid drone completely.

You *could* do without mufflers and dump pipe too.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby shav » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Oh fair enough.
What do u mean, when you say I could do without mufflers and dump?
Do you mean, that I could just change the mid and Y pipe alone and still get a nice note, and no drone?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Yes but make sure it's a mufflered mid regardless.

Owens car has TS EL headers and TS up, EWG dump plumbed to before the Y on a 3" mufflered mid w/ Prova straight through muffs.

Best.sound. Ever. :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dazzz168 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:17 pm

There's nothing wrong with changing just the dump and mufflers, you will get most, if not all of the performance benefits of a full TBE running stockish turbos. Sound is very subjective... what might sound good to one person might not to another. Do what ever budget/priorities permit... you can always get a mid pipe later.
dazzz168

Car: Forester XT & TB STi Lib
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20816

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:22 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Yes but make sure it's a mufflered mid regardless.

Owens car has TS EL headers and TS up, EWG dump plumbed to before the Y on a 3" mufflered mid w/ Prova straight through muffs.

Best.sound. Ever. :P

Because the long ewg pipe acts as an extra drone cancelling side branch resonator.

It's next level. :shock:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby owen » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:10 pm

1.6 NA at 9000rpm is currently my flavor of the month though. You're more than welcome to take my turbo setup BBB :)
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 pm

owen wrote:1.6 NA at 9000rpm is currently my flavor of the month though. You're more than welcome to take my turbo setup BBB :)

4AGE at its best
Newbie GT

Postby mynameisdaniel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 pm

You're welcome to listen to mine in person if you like Shav, Dump and mid pipe with the STi quads. I really like the sound, it's got a bit of volume to it over the standard system, but no one would ever consider it to be loud.
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby shav » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Might take you up on that offer mate. Depending on what your movements are this week, im on holidays till friday, and live in the southern suburbs. It would really give me an idea on which direction to take.

Again, happy to stick with mild steel even to the mufflers. Been looking at the best mufflers website and would consider the M/S option they do for dump and cat back systems.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:54 am

dazzz168 wrote:OP. choose any 3" dump on the market that suits your budget and get one of these Grimmspeed adapters. It has a smooth taper and works well without any leaks etc.

Also, The stock mid pipe flows more than enough for stockish turbos, so I wouldn't bother changing it. I've had all sorts of exhausts on my Forester (obviously different car, but same engine and exhaust etc) and I've now settled with an Xforce Mild Steel dump mated to stock mid pipe and Prova mufflers. Performance wise with the VF52 on 98 or E85, I believe it's on par with a car running full 3" mid pipe and see no need to go bigger. I went 3" once and I felt I loss a bit of low end off boost torque and didn't gain anything up top I can notice... I did notice a lot more noise though lol.

Hope that helps.

Daz you are a legend mate, this is actually what I had been searching for a long while without finding anything that was going to be able to create a smooth transition without having to remove part of the exhaust to allow for it to fit. I actually had pictured something similar to this in my mind (that inserts into the 3" pipe) and was considering seeing if I could get one made up. This looks absolutley perfect and gives me the option to choose my own dump-pipe which is good because I prefer the design of the TCP, XFORCE and NVIDIA over the others I have seen. Problem is XFORCE don't do a bolt on with cat included so at this stage I will be tossing up between the TCP and NVIDIA. I am guessing I need to order this Grimsspeed part from overseas unless you know of somewhere I can get one? If only they did a smaller version of these adapters for the muffler connection, that would be even better :).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby shav » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 am

I thought xforce gave you an option for a cat if you ordered thru best mufflers, just that the cost for the cat was high for that option. Does it matter where you fit the cat in your system or is it best placed on the dump pipe?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby dazzz168 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:58 am

Shaheenis wrote:Daz you are a legend mate, this is actually what I had been searching for a long while without finding anything that was going to be able to create a smooth transition without having to remove part of the exhaust to allow for it to fit. I actually had pictured something similar to this in my mind (that inserts into the 3" pipe) and was considering seeing if I could get one made up. This looks absolutley perfect and gives me the option to choose my own dump-pipe which is good because I prefer the design of the TCP, XFORCE and NVIDIA over the others I have seen. Problem is XFORCE don't do a bolt on with cat included so at this stage I will be tossing up between the TCP and NVIDIA. I am guessing I need to order this Grimsspeed part from overseas unless you know of somewhere I can get one? If only they did a smaller version of these adapters for the muffler connection, that would be even better :).

No probs Shaheenis. You can get them locally from carmodsaustralia as I think they are the Grimmspeed distributors here in Aus now.
Edit: here it is on carmods :D http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/grim ... ter-077044

shav wrote:I thought xforce gave you an option for a cat if you ordered thru best mufflers, just that the cost for the cat was high for that option. Does it matter where you fit the cat in your system or is it best placed on the dump pipe?

Cats are usually put in the dump pipe. One at the front and one at the rear of dump where the sensor is. A lot of guys in NSW just run a single rear hi flow cat which gives is known to give a bit better performance, but depending on how active the defect cops are in your state, you may need both cats in the exhaust. But, from what I have seen, front or rear cat positions don't make too much difference on dyno numbers so just go for what looks good to you. :D
Last edited by dazzz168 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzz168

Car: Forester XT & TB STi Lib
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20816

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 pm

shav wrote:I thought xforce gave you an option for a cat if you ordered thru best mufflers, just that the cost for the cat was high for that option. Does it matter where you fit the cat in your system or is it best placed on the dump pipe?

Pretty sure most places offer the dump, although best muffs give great service from memory.

The cat position is determined by the location of the two stock o2 sensors. So it would be easiest to put it somewhere at the end of the dump, otherwise you'll be looking to disable a cel code as well as looking legal etc

Removing a cat or two in your system also increases the noise. But legalities again...

Ps dazz beat me to the punch :D
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Sean82 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:18 pm

dazzz168 wrote:
Shaheenis wrote:Daz you are a legend mate, this is actually what I had been searching for a long while without finding anything that was going to be able to create a smooth transition without having to remove part of the exhaust to allow for it to fit. I actually had pictured something similar to this in my mind (that inserts into the 3" pipe) and was considering seeing if I could get one made up. This looks absolutley perfect and gives me the option to choose my own dump-pipe which is good because I prefer the design of the TCP, XFORCE and NVIDIA over the others I have seen. Problem is XFORCE don't do a bolt on with cat included so at this stage I will be tossing up between the TCP and NVIDIA. I am guessing I need to order this Grimsspeed part from overseas unless you know of somewhere I can get one? If only they did a smaller version of these adapters for the muffler connection, that would be even better :).

No probs Shaheenis. You can get them locally from carmodsaustralia as I think they are the Grimmspeed distributors here in Aus now.
Edit: here it is on carmods :D http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/grim ... ter-077044

Cats are usually put in the dump pipe. One at the front and one at the rear of dump where the sensor is. A lot of guys in NSW just run a single rear hi flow cat which gives is known to give a bit better performance, but depending on how active the defect cops are in your state, you may need both cats in the exhaust. But, from what I have seen, front or rear cat positions don't make too much difference on dyno numbers so just go for what looks good to you. :D

They are dirty dazzz and they had them in stock just before Christmas I think; may still have some ;)
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

PreviousNext

Return to Exhausts