Weak links in Gen4 Exhaust. Is the Y pipe?

Exhaust modifications

Re: Weak links in Gen4 Exhaust. Is the Y pipe?

Postby mynameisdaniel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:16 pm

shav wrote:I thought xforce gave you an option for a cat if you ordered thru best mufflers, just that the cost for the cat was high for that option. Does it matter where you fit the cat in your system or is it best placed on the dump pipe?

PM me if you want to have a look at mine, I'm out Modbury way though.

The cat needs to be hot to work effectively which is why it's usually in the dump pipe :)
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby dr20t » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 pm

3" v band dump, 38mm ewg plumbed back with about 1.5 ft of 40mm tubing, no cat, no resonators, 3" all the way through to twin 2.5" y pipe, to twin tcp quad tip mufflers.

Stop it...
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes I could actually go the Xforce option but from memory when I spoke to Chris from BM he said the cat was weld in and I want to do it all myself so bolt-on FTW. Xforce do actually do a dump option with 'pre-cat' for an extra $25 which is purely for looks so when you have the real cat installed it looks like you have two = standard but seriously, I think that is a bit over the top but good they have the option! Now I just need to decide between TCP and inVIdia dump, the main difference being one is full open bellmouth (TCP) and one has a splitter. I don't actually think the splitter does a lot when you have an open bellmouth as there is heaps of room for the pressure/gas to escape/diffuse. I am planning to upgrade to a VF52 and note their wastegate opens sideways unlike the VF46. Something to think about.

TCP

Invidia

PHAT
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Yes I could actually go the Xforce option but from memory when I spoke to Chris from BM he said the cat was weld in and I want to do it all myself so bolt-on FTW. Xforce do actually do a dump option with 'pre-cat' for an extra $25 which is purely for looks so when you have the real cat installed it looks like you have two = standard but seriously, I think that is a bit over the top but good they have the option! Now I just need to decide between TCP and inVIdia dump, the main difference being one is full open bellmouth (TCP) and one has a splitter. I don't actually think the splitter does a lot when you have an open bellmouth as there is heaps of room for the pressure/gas to escape/diffuse. I am planning to upgrade to a VF52 and note their wastegate opens sideways unlike the VF46. Something to think about.

TCP

Invidia

PHAT

Have invidia started making dumps for aussie right hand drives now?

x force will flow best...depends what you'd like to get out of the system later on. If you're sure you won't want to get more power or go e85 down the track - go the most budget friendly option, won't be noticing any performance gains between any brand

Splitter might get you 5kw up top on a VF52...or it might make you nothing depending on your tune. You won't feel it either way. Ask them all for a discount :P
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby shav » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Im considering the invidia myself as it's designed to suit auto boxes for my07 with no mods, I heard there some modification required with the xforce versions. Something to do with having to extend the pipe to get around the gearbox.

Flow will most probably be same, but I'd rather have a no fuss bolt on option than having to have a hack job done on a new part to make it fit.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby JSarge » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi mate, I've just recently gone through this exact exercise so thought I'd share my experience. I ended up going for the Garage 88 dump pipe as a few have already recommended. I mated it up to an xforce centre/y pipe and bolted straight up to the sti quads 8) . There is a noticeable increase in low to mid range power untuned, and the sound is perfect in my opinion (with the exception of minor resonance at low speed).

I did plenty of research on this forum and obviously everyone raves about the phat dump pipes, so I ordered one. It is a quality product but the issue I had is there is no updated information about the dump pipe that is currently being sold. This is quite evident from a few posters in this thread suggesting that the dump pipe still comes with the 3 inch bolt on adapter. This is no longer the case (as I found out after receiving the product). The dump pipe now has a welded on reducer only (3 inch to 2.25 inch) to suit the standard subaru donut flex joint and standard rear exhaust. It is perfect for bolting up to the standard rear section but less than ideal if you are planning on upgrading the mid pipe due to the unnecessary contraction at the join.

Also, be careful with calculations on pipe diameters with the y pipe split. Two 1.5 inch pipes aren't the equivalent of one 3 inch pipe as you need to use the pipe area rather than the diameter :) They're actually closer to a 2.1 inch pipe equivalent which is almost exactly half the area of a 3 inch pipe.

As you said it's definitely a good idea to taper the pipe when there's a reduction in the exhaust size, and the Garage 88 dump pipe does this well with it's 2.25 inch reducer. The problem is that when you have the 3 inch centre pipe you then have a very abrupt expansion from 2.25 inch to 3 inch which is actually worse for air flow than an abrupt contraction the other way.

If I had my time again i'd go for an xforce dump and mid, or a TCP dump and mid as I think the open bell mouth is the go with the vf46 and would prefer no restriction at the flex join. In saying that I'm happy with the G88 dump for now as I'm not planning on upgrading the turbo (yet :!: ). If I was though I'd have to look at cutting up the dump to remove the restriction at the join, which is extra $$$. I think you're on the money with your thought on the vf52 and the side opening wastegate. It would probably benefit more from an exhaust splitter like in the invidia dump pipe.

Cheers, Joel
JSarge

Car: Lib Wagon 08 TBSTi + WRX Hatch 05

Postby dazzz168 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Are liberty mid pipes 2.25" and y pipe made of two single 1.5" pipes?
dazzz168

Car: Forester XT & TB STi Lib
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20816

Postby Kekotic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:28 pm

dazzz168 wrote:Are liberty mid pipes 2.25" and y pipe made of two single 1.5" pipes?

The Y-pipe is 1.75 I think.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby dazzz168 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Kekotic wrote:
dazzz168 wrote:Are liberty mid pipes 2.25" and y pipe made of two single 1.5" pipes?

The Y-pipe is 1.75 I think.

Yeah, my stock Forester mid pipe is 2.5" and 1.75" Y split, so I thought the liberty ones were the same. Seems to make no performance difference at my power levels if I run a 3" to 2.5" mid or my stock mid, but there's a big difference in sound levels (without a mid muffler in place of resonator on 3").
dazzz168

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:46 pm

JSarge wrote:Hi mate, I've just recently gone through this exact exercise so thought I'd share my experience. I ended up going for the Garage 88 dump pipe as a few have already recommended. I mated it up to an xforce centre/y pipe and bolted straight up to the sti quads 8) . There is a noticeable increase in low to mid range power untuned, and the sound is perfect in my opinion (with the exception of minor resonance at low speed).

I did plenty of research on this forum and obviously everyone raves about the phat dump pipes, so I ordered one. It is a quality product but the issue I had is there is no updated information about the dump pipe that is currently being sold. This is quite evident from a few posters in this thread suggesting that the dump pipe still comes with the 3 inch bolt on adapter. This is no longer the case (as I found out after receiving the product). The dump pipe now has a welded on reducer only (3 inch to 2.25 inch) to suit the standard subaru donut flex joint and standard rear exhaust. It is perfect for bolting up to the standard rear section but less than ideal if you are planning on upgrading the mid pipe due to the unnecessary contraction at the join.

Also, be careful with calculations on pipe diameters with the y pipe split. Two 1.5 inch pipes aren't the equivalent of one 3 inch pipe as you need to use the pipe area rather than the diameter :) They're actually closer to a 2.1 inch pipe equivalent which is almost exactly half the area of a 3 inch pipe.

As you said it's definitely a good idea to taper the pipe when there's a reduction in the exhaust size, and the Garage 88 dump pipe does this well with it's 2.25 inch reducer. The problem is that when you have the 3 inch centre pipe you then have a very abrupt expansion from 2.25 inch to 3 inch which is actually worse for air flow than an abrupt contraction the other way.

If I had my time again i'd go for an xforce dump and mid, or a TCP dump and mid as I think the open bell mouth is the go with the vf46 and would prefer no restriction at the flex join. In saying that I'm happy with the G88 dump for now as I'm not planning on upgrading the turbo (yet :!: ). If I was though I'd have to look at cutting up the dump to remove the restriction at the join, which is extra $$$. I think you're on the money with your thought on the vf52 and the side opening wastegate. It would probably benefit more from an exhaust splitter like in the invidia dump pipe.

Cheers, Joel

Thanks for sharing mate :) What's the problem at the flex joint?

And thanks Ben :) That was some fun times Poida gt had with invidia...
alexeiwoody

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:21 pm

I agree with most of what you say JSarge but not sure on your point about a smaller diameter opening into a larger diameter is worse, I don't think this is the case. With you current setup you will have a 5-10mm blunt edge where your aftermarket meets your muffs. People go to great lengths to port extractors, up-pipes and turbs to remove ~1-2mm of obstruction from welds etc and even though the impact of this reduces towards the rear of the vehicle, still something deserving of rectification IMHO. Personally I recon this negates any possible benefits from a larger diameter mid&Y and hence why I am opting for dump with smooth transition to stock. I am torn between the TCP and iNVIDA and I agree there is probably ~5% difference between all reputable brands but looking at the money you spend and the quality (even if some of it is cosmetic) it is pretty apparent to me that TCP and iNividia win the quality battle at $799 full stainless, very clean mouth and welds. You might save $100 on a MS Xforce once you include decent CAT. Cheers for all the feedback.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:42 am

I'm a little puzzled at all these questions and talk of budget while we discuss new retail prices.

There are a tonne of excellent dps for sale second hand on this forum and others....

As an example...
http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.ph ... try2503522 I'm sure you could make this fit even if an exhaust shop want $100 to modify...

Or this for a definite fit and second best flowing dump on the market after x force.

www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topi ... try2504556
alexeiwoody

Postby JSarge » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 am

Shaheenis wrote:I agree with most of what you say JSarge but not sure on your point about a smaller diameter opening into a larger diameter is worse, I don't think this is the case. With you current setup you will have a 5-10mm blunt edge where your aftermarket meets your muffs. People go to great lengths to port extractors, up-pipes and turbs to remove ~1-2mm of obstruction from welds etc and even though the impact of this reduces towards the rear of the vehicle, still something deserving of rectification IMHO. Personally I recon this negates any possible benefits from a larger diameter mid&Y and hence why I am opting for dump with smooth transition to stock. I am torn between the TCP and iNVIDA and I agree there is probably ~5% difference between all reputable brands but looking at the money you spend and the quality (even if some of it is cosmetic) it is pretty apparent to me that TCP and iNividia win the quality battle at $799 full stainless, very clean mouth and welds. You might save $100 on a MS Xforce once you include decent CAT. Cheers for all the feedback.

Yeah actually I just checked and you're right about the smaller to larger diameter losses when talking about small changes (ie 2.25>3 in). :oops: It only goes the other way when there are very large differences in areas, althought the losses are very similar either way :!: I had to check my text books this morning!

You're right about the blunt edge where the mufflers bolt up, it's very ugly and has high losses. It would be great if there was some kind of insert you could put in the exhaust just before the join to smooth the flow out into the muffler. It would make a huge difference.

alexeiwoody wrote:Thanks for sharing mate :) What's the problem at the flex joint?

There's no real problem with it, It's just not ideal for a 3 inch mid section as it reduces to 2.25 inch at the join and is an unnessesary restriction. It's perfect if you're bolting it up to the standard rear section though.
JSarge

Car: Lib Wagon 08 TBSTi + WRX Hatch 05

Postby dazzz168 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:00 am

There's the TurboXS one on Ebay for real cheap! But not sure if they will fit the Auto Libs ok.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-2008- ... 7772929%26
dazzz168

PreviousNext

Return to Exhausts