Varex universal muffler

Exhaust modifications

Varex universal muffler

Postby Rizinium » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:58 pm

just after some opinions on the Varex universal mufflers. I want the ability to change the volume of my exhaust and thses sound alright. My car is an auto so thats the reason i want to be able to silence it when i want to... any advice or tips appreciated. cheers.
Any other Coffs Coast liberty's out there? PM if your local.
Gen2 is the way to go.
Rizinium

Car: 1998 Liberty RX wagon

Re: Varex universal muffler

Postby jaydece » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Rizinium wrote:just after some opinions on the Varex universal mufflers. I want the ability to change the volume of my exhaust and thses sound alright. My car is an auto so thats the reason i want to be able to silence it when i want to... any advice or tips appreciated. cheers.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11080&start=45 :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4l1yJBOWnQ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby PoidaGT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm

You need to tune your car to the Varex setting you are using most.

Otherwise you could damage your engine.

there are no performance gains when you switch over to the louder setting if your car is tuned for the quiet setting.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Postby PoidaGT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:10 pm

You need to tune your car to the Varex setting you are using most.

there are no performance gains when you switch over to the louder setting if your car is tuned for the quiet setting.(only noise)
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby Kody.B » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Whilst it probably doesn't matter too much on an NA, the difference in back pressure with the mufflers in the different settings are a worry to a lot of people.

Can the 2.2 NA in the Gen2 be tuned as of such?

I see the allure though. Quad tip mufflers for $300-$400 with butterfly valves and adjustable sound, but apparently installation isn't cheap.
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Postby jaydece » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm

PoidaGT wrote:You need to tune your car to the Varex setting you are using most.

there are no performance gains when you switch over to the louder setting if your car is tuned for the quiet setting.(only noise)

You need to tune your car to the Varex setting you are using most. - Why? When the stock setting "most" of the time you would be on race mode full open anyway? I would hate to think someone would buy a varex muffler and then fully close / partially close the system and get a tune on it? and drive it like that most or all the time? wouldn't make sense to me? You get a muffler cause of the sound and performance gain right? this is just my 2 cents? correct me if I am wrong?

Otherwise you could damage your engine. = my car was tuned with the varex system fully open and have driven it with partial and close settings for long/short periods....with no problems??? of course common sense tells me not to drive the car hard and I re reinforce this by selecting I mode and S mode to stop me from being a lead foot....and makes me wiser...if I want loud and fun I select S# and leave my mufflers open which they are 90% of the time...

for me I only close them when:

1/ COPS
2/ want some peace and like to just cruise
3/ have oldies in the car
4/ start the car in the morning and don't want to piss of neighbors / or similar scenarios

If you thrash and drive the car stupidly with your varex system closed for long periods then you are missing a few brain cells .......

there are no performance gains when you switch over to the louder setting if your car is tuned for the quiet setting.(only noise) - Are you sure? I believe there would be a difference in performance ....definitely between fully close and fully open? That would be like comparing stock mufflers to say aftermarket ones? There's a few kw's gain for sure... more free flowing? less back pressure? especially on force induction cars
~JUSZTN~

265kw atw on P100

jaydece

Postby Kody.B » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Random question Justin,
How much was installation if you don't mind me asking?
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Varex universal muffler

Postby jaydece » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Kody.B wrote:Random question Justin,
How much was installation if you don't mind me asking?

Can't really give you a answer as I installed it partially myself with the help of Scott @ Scotty's customs aka mate

It's not hard to install, just lining up the mufflers to fit underneath (getting hangers made for it) the module and wiring of it is pretty simple if you know your basic handy work and electronics, I found a wire which is rear fog light from memory and use that to power the module and mufflers, works on ACC as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Farken
~JUSZTN~

265kw atw on P100

jaydece

Postby PoidaGT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm

jaydece wrote:
PoidaGT wrote:You need to tune your car to the Varex setting you are using most.

You need to tune your car to the Varex setting you are using most. - Why? When the stock setting "most" of the time you would be on race mode full open anyway? I would hate to think someone would buy a varex muffler and then fully close / partially close the system and get a tune on it? and drive it like that most or all the time? wouldn't make sense to me? You get a muffler cause of the sound and performance gain right? this is just my 2 cents? correct me if I am wrong?

Otherwise you could damage your engine. = my car was tuned with the varex system fully open and have driven it with partial and close settings for long/short periods....with no problems??? of course common sense tells me not to drive the car hard and I re reinforce this by selecting I mode and S mode to stop me from being a lead foot....and makes me wiser...if I want loud and fun I select S# and leave my mufflers open which they are 90% of the time...

for me I only close them when:

1/ COPS
2/ want some peace and like to just cruise
3/ have oldies in the car
4/ start the car in the morning and don't want to piss of neighbors / or similar scenarios

If you thrash and drive the car stupidly with your varex system closed for long periods then you are missing a few brain cells .......

there are no performance gains when you switch over to the louder setting if your car is tuned for the quiet setting.(only noise) - Are you sure? I believe there would be a difference in performance ....definitely between fully close and fully open? That would be like comparing stock mufflers to say aftermarket ones? There's a few kw's gain for sure... more free flowing? less back pressure? especially on force induction cars

I was looking at getting Varex mufflers for my GT however my tuner strongly suggested otherwise(MSR).
I would prefer to drive most of the time on the quieter setting and only open it up on the loud setting for the occasional spirited drive.
I was told the louder setting will make my car run rich if it was tuned for the quieter setting and would have no noticable power increase once switched (maybe 1-2kw on the Dyno).
Running the engine too rich for a long period of time will effect the engine eventually.
If you tune it for the louder setting and constantly run hard on the quieter setting it has some sort effect on the turbo, back pressure or cavitation etc (i can't remember exactly what Mick said, but he said it wasn't good for the engine).
I think if you were running it 90 - 95% of the time on the louder setting (tuned) and only occasionly switched it to the quieter setting there shouldn't be any problems.
I don't think there would be much of a difference for N/A libs other than a big noise difference.
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby brainy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:40 pm

From my varex understanding, the butterfly valves open and close. When closed it goes through a restrictive path (2 x 180 degree bends) vs the open straight through option? I'd find it hard to believe that on a fully closed varex setup it would be the same performance as fully open.

11kw difference: http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.ph ... -vs-close/

Are you going to go with the recommended MSR solution? What did they end up recommending?

There's plenty of options out there that can give you the performance, some sporty noise and with no drone in the cabin keeping it quiet on the inside.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby mongmong77 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Ive had my xforce varex tbe for about a year now. Havent had any issues with the engine and my wife still doesnt know I have an exhaust ;)
I dont know whether it has helped performance wise but if you want the choice of switching off the noise, then this is the best way.
When it is closed, exhaust is stock sound, but once opened up, you get a nice roar !
Highly recommended...
Whats wrong with Rice ?
mongmong77

Car: Subaru Liberty GT MY10

Postby Rizinium » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Kody.B wrote:Whilst it probably doesn't matter too much on an NA, the difference in back pressure with the mufflers in the different settings are a worry to a lot of people.

Can the 2.2 NA in the Gen2 be tuned as of such?

I see the allure though. Quad tip mufflers for $300-$400 with butterfly valves and adjustable sound, but apparently installation isn't cheap.

This is the RX version which runs the NA EJ25 so basically the same engine all the way up to the gen 4's.

and to everyone else, in my previous car (r31 skyline) i went from a very restrictive cat plus OE rear muffler that was basically the size of a small house to a straight through Lukey system and noticed exactly 1% increase in acceleration performance and that was it. that was without a tune. so if i install this i will not be tuning the engine because it is an un-neccessary wast of time and money. Varex say this muffler will be "like OE" while closed so if that is the case why would a tune be needed?... and all that running it open would do would be to decrease back pressure a tiny bit however the standard 2 1/4" pipe will be kept up till the cat aswell so this would be negligable.
Any other Coffs Coast liberty's out there? PM if your local.
Gen2 is the way to go.
Rizinium

Car: 1998 Liberty RX wagon

Postby PoidaGT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:18 pm

brainy wrote:

From my varex understanding, the butterfly valves open and close. When closed it goes through a restrictive path (2 x 180 degree bends) vs the open straight through option? I'd find it hard to believe that on a fully closed varex setup it would be the same performance as fully open.

11kw difference: http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.ph ... -vs-close/

Are you going to go with the recommended MSR solution? What did they end up recommending?

There's plenty of options out there that can give you the performance, some sporty noise and with no drone in the cabin keeping it quiet on the inside.

Hey Brainy

I had my car tuned with a full Invidia exhaust (Super loud) and then a full 3inch exhaust with the standard mufflers.
The difference was only 4kw at 6500rpm so it wasn't a big differnce in power but a massive difference in noise.
If this WRX has an 11kw difference between open and closed on the varex muffler, it means that when its closed it is very restrictive.
Alternatively i'm sure MSR could have tuned the closed setting to about 5-6kw difference to the open setting anyway.
Mick strongly recommended the standard mufflers for an auto wagon and i believe he was spot on.
Mick knows subarus better than anybody and i thoroughly respect his opinions.
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby t.renshaw34 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 am

I love my varex's and I have had mine tuned for open and closed...
My HKS EVC has A and B mode. Different boost, A/F ratios, timing etc.

A Is actuator pressure 14.1psi and varex's closed (182kwatw)
B is 18psi and varex's open (210kwatw.)

When when I turn the boost up for some fun I also open my varex's.
haven't had any issues with this so far.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby Scotty's Customs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 am

I made a custom 3.5 inch stainless system for my Stagea, originally with a Hooker Aerochamber (way too loud) then I fitted the 3.5 inch Varex. It is surprisingly quiet on boost when open, and a healthy drone lower in the revs when cruising due to being a wagon. The only time I close it is for RBT's and late night/early morning starts. It has saved me plenty of times. ;)

The car made more power with the Varex, 350kw, a 30kw gain from changing the rear section of exhaust alone, (as the muffler is a straight through design.) At a guess, it still makes around 250kw when closed, sounds like a vacuum cleaner and makes the car a bit laggy. It probably flows better closed than most stock systems and is just as quiet. I feel they would work best as a mid muffler.
Stock VQ25det with ARP L19 head studs, GTX3076 @ 25psi on e85 - 350awkw

Scotty's Customs (Melbourne SE)
Fabricating custom performance piping and parts.
0408 993 893
Scotty's Customs

Car: Nissan Stagea M35

Return to Exhausts