STi/WRX widebody sedan mufflers modded for GT-B wagon

Exhaust modifications

Re: STi/WRX widebody sedan mufflers modded for GT-B wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:48 am

If I was going to do it again, I'd start with MY15 muffs.

The tips are longer to begin with and more elegantly tapered.

No lag mark iirc had a thread on modding the actual internals of a stock lgt muff which might be of use to you.

Shaheenis wrote:I know this is an old thread but has anyone seen the inside of one of these mufflers as opposed to the Liberty ones? They look identical besides the tips that's all and I have only seen the internal design of the GT mufflers, not the STI with twin tips.

I am just not sure why they would change them for the WRX. I can understand a slight difference between the single and twin tip variants but between two twin tips? I would have thought unlikely.

Is the body of the muffler itself shorter? Any help appreciated as I am planning on tinkering ;).
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks BBB.

I did read that thread and was grateful for the pics but too much work. I would love to see the inside of a STI Liberty muffler just to see it it replicates the GT muffler with twins being the only difference. I was looking at a freer flowing stock muffler and then replacing or modifying the tips. Unfortunately I can't seem to find an aftermarket muffler that isn't going to be too loud and cost a bomb including mods to fit etc.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:18 pm

It's the holy grail right?
My combo (phat 3" dump, 3" mufflered mid, WRX STi muffs is spot on. It has note, but not too much.
It's quiet on the freeway too.
It shouldn't pose too much of a restriction to around 200kw atw or a little over that.

Another approach is noisy muffs on the stock mid like Jakes car (Bosco)
Or experiment with a tuned sidebranch resonator on a mufflered mid, or on the muffs themselves.
Or custom glass packed muffs like Briany had and Jaydece has.

I won't be trying TCP, Prova or Phat until I fit EL headers which eg on Owens car, really refine the tone.
Owens car also has a very long ewg merge, it could be working like a sidebranch resonator when the WG is closed?
It's a sedan too, less interior acoustic issues related to zorst config.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to Exhausts