3" Dump pipe for 07 Liberty GT - what are my options?

Exhaust modifications

Re: 3" Dump pipe for 07 Liberty GT - what are my options?

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

paggaz wrote:Thanks for that Bruce! Now have a much better understanding of it. Also will be getting it tuned by Kido next wednesday :)

You're welcome.

You'll be as happy as a pig in pooh following your tune.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby mynameisdaniel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Dad was talking to a mechanic (works at one of the best Subaru mechanics in Aus, knows his stuff) and he said they've had a lot of problems with people melting pistons after replacing the dump pipe (may have been an earlier problem that is fixed in later designs). Not a problem while accelerating but on long trips at constant speed there were problems, something to do with how the accelerator worked and the car ending up running a little lean... My car is notably richer with the dump so was wondering if anyone had heard something similar...
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby paggaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:02 pm

That's interesting... I've never heard stories of melting pistons.
I know Dad's MY06 Forester XT had a TBE fitted untuned for a while before he got it tuned. Before the tune it was noticeably running lean, it had a kind of brownish soot coming from the exhaust rather than black. While untuned the car did a round trip from Albury, NSW to Bundaberg, QLD then to Sydney (4200kms) when we were moving and nothing bad came from that....thank goodness.

Not too sure if mine is running rich or lean after the dump pipe install...is there a way I can monitor it on my ECU datascan?
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:Dad was talking to a mechanic (works at one of the best Subaru mechanics in Aus, knows his stuff) and he said they've had a lot of problems with people melting pistons after replacing the dump pipe (may have been an earlier problem that is fixed in later designs). Not a problem while accelerating but on long trips at constant speed there were problems, something to do with how the accelerator worked and the car ending up running a little lean... My car is notably richer with the dump so was wondering if anyone had heard something similar...

Was this only the dump pipe? Most people do a TBE or intake and ....

Bottom line is any change to the exhaust and intake without a tune will cause the ECU to fail correction of AFRs and run lean. Running lean for any period of time will cause a piston, most likely number 3 to melt.

The Subaru engine with the stock fuel rail design causes cylinder 3 to inherently run a little leaner than the rest. Hence you shouldn't tune a Subaru with AFRs too lean.

Combined with a poor factory tune, especially Foresters, a leaner running car and a bit of thrashing with the new found noise etc means the car may fail earlier.

A number of people on here run a heap of mods with no tune. Good luck to them.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:Dad was talking to a mechanic (works at one of the best Subaru mechanics in Aus, knows his stuff) and he said they've had a lot of problems with people melting pistons after replacing the dump pipe (may have been an earlier problem that is fixed in later designs). Not a problem while accelerating but on long trips at constant speed there were problems, something to do with how the accelerator worked and the car ending up running a little lean... My car is notably richer with the dump so was wondering if anyone had heard something similar...

It is the cam timing for 'emissions' and hence why I do a full DBW remap ;)

The dump runs richer due to airflow causing richer mixtures but the cruise cam timing map is the issue with running lean :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby shav » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

paggaz - how did you go with sourcing/fitting your dump pipe? Whats the latest?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:42 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Stock the Subaru Liberty has 2 cats in the dump.
Stock the Subaru Liberty has 2 O2 sensors
Most aftermarket dumps replace the restrictive cats with a single high flow cat.
The ECU uses a formula to calculate quality of air in the exhaust between the O2 sensor in the up pipe and after it's passed the first cat in the dump.
When there are 500 error conditions when checked against expectant value you will get a CEL.
The CEL DTC P0420 (Catalytic converter inefficieny) is normally due to the replacement cat not being efficient enough to meet EPA and Subaru ECU standards.
The most common fix is to disable the DTC code in the ECU so a CEL is not thrown when the condition occurs.
If tuned correctly you can leave the code enabled and it may trigger once in a while and can be cleared. Or simply disable.
The bung in the dump pipe collector is often used for installation of a secondary wideband O2 sensor for tuning and logging.
Will be interesting to see if you get a CEL, based on where you've got the second O2 sensor installed. Or if your getting tuned soon your best bet is to have the P0420 code disabled.

So I am looking for fit an Xforce TBE and I noticed that Xforce has an option of a dump with a pre-cat built into it, would this be a good way to go given the potential monitoring issues? The pre-cat version is an extra $24 for mild steel so perhaps this is why they made these? May cause a touch more restriction but some of the good brands such as TCP have cats in the dump (although not a pre-cat perse') but if you ran a full 100CEL cat after the dump you should still be looking at good flow versus the higher resolution ones. What do you reckon? Link to Xforce Dump with Pre-cat
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Previous

Return to Exhausts