3" Dump pipe for 07 Liberty GT - what are my options?

Exhaust modifications

3" Dump pipe for 07 Liberty GT - what are my options?

Postby paggaz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have a tune coming up in a fortnight and I'd like to get rid of the restrictive stock dump pipe. I'm wondering what readily available dump pipes (with hi flow cat) are out there which is a direct replacement for my 07 Lib GT manual. I've done a search but nothing really tells me the options that I have.
My current setup is just a catback Xforce system on the stock dump pipe.

I've been to two exhaust places in Canberra and both of them told me they can't source one, which is weird because I'm seeing them all over this site.
Do the late model WRX and Foresters exhausts bolt straight up to the Liberty?

I love the look of PhatGTs dump pipe and got a quote, however it's slightly out of my price range..
I found this site with a few options but it's from overseas, anybody dealt with them? Postage might be a killer, plus I've read about problems with overseas models not clearing the steering knuckle http://www.celticmotorsport.com/catalog ... 17_233_320
I'd say dealing within Australia would be easier, but what other options are there?
As a last resort, both exhaust places offered to build a custom dump with cat for me for around 750....top of my price range..

Thanks in advance :)
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Re: 3" Dump pipe for 07 Liberty GT - what are my options?

Postby bass_straitener » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm

I've dealt with Celtic Motorsport and they were fantastic. Don't buy straight off their site as the postage is ridiculous. Contact them and ask for a postage quote. That goes for just about every overseas site. The postage quote is usually a lot less.

I wouldn't however but a dump for a US spec vehicle as the steering knuckle will get in the way.

I personally have the AVO dump and I like it. Good design, fits up well, includes a flex joint and has a second bung to install and O2 Wideband sensor and gauge and is stainless.

And the price when I bought mine was just a fraction over your $750 quote.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby rooby » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Tcp do one. They are in the vendors section.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby paggaz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks guys. The AVO looks like a quality piece of kit, unfortunately it's also out of my budget. I also checked out the TCP one and sent them a PM :)
If possible I'd explore options available under $750 delivered.
Also has anybody tested if will the 08+ WRX or 09+ Forester dump pipes fit the Liberty?
paggaz

Postby blacktop™ » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:45 pm

is phat still making dump pipes/have dump pipes in stock or is he busy doing his garage now?
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby paggaz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Not too sure, I contacted him for a quote back in mid June
paggaz

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 am

The normal Xforce WRX dump fits the Liberty :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby paggaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks Matt, just the answer I was wanting :) just double checking, it will only be the 08+ year model WRX?
paggaz

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm

paggaz wrote:Thanks Matt, just the answer I was wanting :) just double checking, it will only be the 08+ year model WRX?

Yes, they all clear for 08+ which is same as XT and STi
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:55 pm

paggaz wrote:Thanks Matt, just the answer I was wanting :) just double checking, it will only be the 08+ year model WRX?

Hiya,

Was wondering how you went with your research? Did the WRX dump fit without mods?
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Car: MY07 GT Wagon

Postby paggaz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Yep it went well, perfect fitment. I ended up going with a catless Xforce dump pipe for an 08+ WRX and my exhaust shop fitted a different brand 100 cell racing cat. My exhaust shop suggested this option because apparently the Xforce cats aren't as free flowing (300 cell).

paggaz

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:26 am

Nice work! I'm in the market for a dump pipe again, and this is good info.

Quick question, won't the ecu do a bunch of those CEL errors if the cat is not in the same position as stock?

Another question, how much does one pay for an xforce dump pipe?
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby paggaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

blacktop™ wrote:Nice work! I'm in the market for a dump pipe again, and this is good info.

Quick question, won't the ecu do a bunch of those CEL errors if the cat is not in the same position as stock?

That's what I was expecting, but so far I've had no CEL codes come up. If so, I have the ECUDatascan to clear them.
I think it's not putting up CELs because the oxygen sensor is originally mounted before the cat, making no difference.
At the moment there's a bung in the spare sensor hole in the bellmouth of the dump pipe (must be a spare sensor hole for different models?) and my main sensor is connected just before the cat. That's how the exhaust guys did it, so I'm not too sure on the technical side of that, but it's not giving me any problems :)

The mild steel Xforce 3" dump pipe cost me $350 through the exhaust shop and the 100 cell cat that I got was $250.
paggaz

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 pm

paggaz wrote:
blacktop™ wrote:Nice work! I'm in the market for a dump pipe again, and this is good info.

That's what I was expecting, but so far I've had no CEL codes come up. If so, I have the ECUDatascan to clear them.
I think it's not putting up CELs because the oxygen sensor is originally mounted before the cat, making no difference.
At the moment there's a bung in the spare sensor hole in the bellmouth of the dump pipe (must be a spare sensor hole for different models?) and my main sensor is connected just before the cat. That's how the exhaust guys did it, so I'm not too sure on the technical side of that, but it's not giving me any problems :)

The mild steel Xforce 3" dump pipe cost me $350 through the exhaust shop and the 100 cell cat that I got was $250.

Stock the Subaru Liberty has 2 cats in the dump.

Stock the Subaru Liberty has 2 O2 sensors

Most aftermarket dumps replace the restrictive cats with a single high flow cat.

The ECU uses a formula to calculate quality of air in the exhaust between the O2 sensor in the up pipe and after it's passed the first cat in the dump.

When there are 500 error conditions when checked against expectant value you will get a CEL.

The CEL DTC P0420 (Catalytic converter inefficieny) is normally due to the replacement cat not being efficient enough to meet EPA and Subaru ECU standards.

The most common fix is to disable the DTC code in the ECU so a CEL is not thrown when the condition occurs.

If tuned correctly you can leave the code enabled and it may trigger once in a while and can be cleared. Or simply disable.

The bung in the dump pipe collector is often used for installation of a secondary wideband O2 sensor for tuning and logging.

Will be interesting to see if you get a CEL, based on where you've got the second O2 sensor installed. Or if your getting tuned soon your best bet is to have the P0420 code disabled.
Last edited by bass_straitener on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby paggaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for that Bruce! Now have a much better understanding of it. Also will be getting it tuned by Kido next wednesday :)
paggaz

Next

Return to Exhausts