Exhaust Options 2.5t Wagon - Keeping Standard Mufflers

Exhaust modifications

Exhaust Options 2.5t Wagon - Keeping Standard Mufflers

Postby S4MSONN » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Guys,

I have an 07 GT Spec B Wagon (Auto) - want to get dump pipe + center + Y pipe. From reading on here it is best to keep the stock mufflers to keep the noise down on auto wagons.

I just got back from the local exhaust place, they quoted me to farbricate a custom 3 inch dump pipe, mid section & y pipe. $1,100 installed which seems OK to me (includes cat in the dump and a resonator in mid pipe).

For the guys running standard/sti mufflers, how do these bolt up to the other after market systems? I note the stock system has fairly narrow piping which is the same as the inlet to the mufflers. What diameter are you running?

The exhaust shop will build it to the spec I want, just want to see what others are doing. He wants to change the mufflers as well as there will be a change in diameter where they meet.

Cheers.
S4MSONN

Car: 07 GT Spec B Wagon

Re: Exhaust Options 2.5t Wagon - Keeping Standard Mufflers

Postby jslayz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 pm

twin 2.25 inch center pipe with a straight through twin muffler (two in and two out) and some Dynomax VT mufflers at rear.
Was recommended this by local exhaust shop.
Supposed to stop drone, been looking at this kind of setup seriously myself.

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby S4MSONN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for your input J

Also - does anyone know if there is there much difrference (in power gains) between having the dump only compared to doing the center & Y-pipe as well?
S4MSONN

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 am

S4MSONN wrote:Thanks for your input J

Also - does anyone know if there is there much difrference (in power gains) between having the dump only compared to doing the center & Y-pipe as well?

Dump ~ 10-15 kw
Centre and Y-pipe ~ 5-10kw
Mufflers ~ 5kw

You should see these gains with a tune, as doing a full TBE with a tune usually nets you ~ 30kw in gains
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Apparently Ultrex do a full TBE for about $1200. As far as I know it's modular so you can swap out components as you need.

I was on the same bandwagon as you as I have a 2007 GT Wagon and am too old for boy racer mufflers.

My thoughts were to buy the full TBE and sell the mufflers as new to keep the cost down. This is dependent on the stock mufflers fitting the TBE though.

In saying all that though, your $1100 for everything fitted sounds ok.
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Car: MY07 GT Wagon

Postby S4MSONN » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:26 am

Sheik Jabooti wrote:Apparently Ultrex do a full TBE for about $1200. As far as I know it's modular so you can swap out components as you need.

I tried Ultrex, they are only doing cat back at the moment as there are apparently some fitment issues with their dump pipes.
S4MSONN

Return to Exhausts