Muffler Requirements (ATTN: TCP and ULTREX)

Exhaust modifications

Re: Muffler Requirements (ATTN: TCP and ULTREX)

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:55 pm

You've certainly got me thinking, Rob. This is a great idea! Drone would be the last thing I'd want but would really want something a little warmer/bassier than the current OEM muffler. Plus quad tips are the sex :air_kiss:

Put me down as interested. Pending the final price, of course :wink:
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby Robbks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 pm

alessandro132 wrote:You've certainly got me thinking, Rob. This is a great idea! Drone would be the last thing I'd want but would really want something a little warmer/bassier than the current OEM muffler. Plus quad tips are the sex :air_kiss:

I'd assume the pricing would be the same as the current model Quads from either source

can someone confirm the stock piping diameter?
2" or 1.75"
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby SH30RB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Robbks wrote:
alessandro132 wrote:You've certainly got me thinking, Rob. This is a great idea! Drone would be the last thing I'd want but would really want something a little warmer/bassier than the current OEM muffler. Plus quad tips are the sex :air_kiss:

I'd assume the pricing would be the same as the current model Quads from either source

can someone confirm the stock piping diameter?
2" or 1.75"

im pretty sure i read it here somewhere in the forum a few days ago...
both are double skinned, center pipe is 2" and the y pipe is 1.75" thick.

may not be entirely true, but im pretty sure thats what i read. and i know first hand they are double skinned
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Robbks wrote:I'd assume the pricing would be the same as the current model Quads from either source

What are the current prices for the TCP muffs?
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby Robbks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I think TCP's are $650 + post
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Postby SubMeister » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Hey Rob,

I've got a MY09 3RB wagon and like the idea of a meaty but muted exhaust note.

I bought my wagon off the first owner who put in a pair of Supercat mufflers. They bolt on to the stock pipe (1.75" inner dia). Looks like a fairly standard oval muffler. Exit is through a single outlet that splits into two for a quad tip look. Pics attached.

This produces a nice meaty, refined note but there is a bit of drone going up big hills between 2,000 and 2,500. On flat road it sounds just right. Not sure how to reduce that bit of drone, maybe smaller dia outlet? Others who are used to louder set ups might not notice anything as this is all a bit subjective.

Have always been interested in replacing the third cat with a Y pipe just to let the H6 breathe a bit better but have been advised that the exhaust gets a bit louder and raspier, and you loose some torque due to lower backpressure. Would be nice to have an option that replaces the Y pipe with a muffler and keep stock dia tubing to address these issues. And then have you proposed set up at the back. Just something else to throw into the mix.

Anyway, if you're ever in Melbourne and want to have a listen in the spirit of R&D, please feel free to get in touch.

Maurice

IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 2278 times

IMG_1128.jpg
IMG_1128.jpg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
SubMeister

Car: H6 Spec B MY09

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm not sure why people don't get custom exhausts done. That way you can get some advice and if you're not completely happy go can just go to the workshop and try something else till your happy.

I recently looked around for an exhaust and at the end of the day finding a good exhaust shop and working with them produced a stellar result with no drone and tucked under a bit more than the pre fabricated pipe work.

And the price was cheaper with all quality bits and all joined via flanges for easy removal and return to stock etc.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Robbks » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 am

i've had custom exhausts on both my previous cars
including teh same supercat mufflers.

the thing is, i can't buy a reasonable quality muffler (x2) and have it fitted for the price of the TCP or ultrex ones.
especially when it's just a bolt on option.
if the guys who do supply the bolt on option can supply a different one to suit the application for less coin then why not go that way.
Robbks

Postby cowma » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Old post I know but did anything ever come of this?
I am looking at getting an exhaust for my N/A wagon and am definitely keen for quads and not single tips.
Looking at getting a set of TCP quads now that they are back in stock but if it was possible to get some optimised for N/A cars then even better. Not keen on losing torque down low as there isn't much to start with.
Ideally I would like a catback eg x force but I am not a fan of the look of the mufflers that come with them at all so will probably just get the centre and y pipe and alternative mufflers. Unless it's not worth changing those parts and just swapping out the mufflers
cowma

Car: MY07 2.0R Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22857

Previous

Return to Exhausts