muffler choice for wagon

Exhaust modifications

muffler choice for wagon

Postby thommo63 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 pm

its probably in here somewhere but just want info/experience with changing mufflers on a manual wagon in terms of drone/note etc. i just want to improve the note outside the car without comprising the interior sound.
thommo63

Car: MY08 LIBERTY SPEC B M6 WAGON

Re: muffler choice for wagon

Postby yipming » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Unfortunately with wagon, any extra volume on the outside seems to be amplified on the inside.

With stock dump/mid pipe, after market muffler can still be tolerated. They resonate around 2.5 - 3 k rpm but you can short shift to avoid it. Auto aren't as fortunate and will drone a bit when on the throttle.

With 3" TBE, you will find a lot of people put their stock muffler back on as the noise is simply too much (myself included). The performance penalty isn't too much and most prefer such compromise.

Sedans don't seems to suffer from such problem with people running TBE with no complains.
yipming

Car: Subaru Liberty GTB

Postby thommo63 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:16 pm

i drive a H6 spec b so is the TBE the same and excuse my ignorance but the TBE is what. should i improve the exhaust up to rear mufflers and tune?
thommo63

Car: MY08 LIBERTY SPEC B M6 WAGON

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 pm

thommo63 wrote:i drive a H6 spec b so is the TBE the same and excuse my ignorance but the TBE is what. should i improve the exhaust up to rear mufflers and tune?

TBE means Turbo back exhaust, meaning dump pipe, centre and mufflers all being non standard. Being a H6 you should look in to the headers Tradewind is making and centre + mufflers.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby 3rspecb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

chaotic2050 wrote:
thommo63 wrote:i drive a H6 spec b so is the TBE the same and excuse my ignorance but the TBE is what. should i improve the exhaust up to rear mufflers and tune?

TBE means Turbo back exhaust, meaning dump pipe, centre and mufflers all being non standard. Being a H6 you should look in to the headers Tradewind is making and centre + mufflers.

Good post :good:
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby jeffas4966 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Guys,
I fitted a full TBE from TCP Auto. The exhaust quality is excellent but the noise/drone inside the car was so bad that I had to put the original mufflers back on. Noise is OK now. If you have a non-turbo car you won't get huge performance benefits, just a reminder. If your only after noise then I would suggest you keep as std.

Cheers

Jeff
MY08 GT-B "Tuned by Sti", ECUTEK enhanced, Dixcel Brakes, TBE
#140 of 250
jeffas4966

Car: Liberty GTB STI

Return to Exhausts