TCP or Ultrex?

Exhaust modifications

Re: TCP or Ultrex?

Postby kennysti » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Sheik Jabooti wrote:
kennysti wrote:
ULTREX wrote:Hi Guys - we currently only have the single tip mufflers on our systems - twin tips is being worked on and should not be too far away. Different strokes for different folks!

Ours system fits up nicely - welds are nice and tidy and sits up nicely under the car. We have positioned our system very competitively on price so some people are happy to save the extra $$ and spend it on other mods.
Turbo back is on special for $999
Cat back is on special for $599
http://www.ultrex.com.au/liberty-parts- ... 4e6d931f0c

At the end of the day it just depends how much you want to spend on an exhaust -we are all about a good product at a fair price :)

Cheers
Rob

Big supporter of Rob and his exhaust systems. After sales care was great as well and have been happy with it thus far. Don't overlook Ultrex just for the lower pricing of the systems, see it as a great benefit!

Hiya Jacob,

What did you get in terms of exhaust from Rob? Full TBE or Cat back? I was wondering about the DP flow whether its as good as the infamous PHAT GT version?

I got the cat back system with the prototype twin tip mufflers. I already had a PHAT GT dump though I didnt have it installed at the time I got the system. I hear the Ultrex dump is still great, 3 inch pipe, good quality high flowing cat, stainless steel and bellmouth design. PHAT GT dumps are made of mild steel and ceramic coated, still a 3 inch and have dual collectors off the turbo. Is one better than the other? That's a cause for a massive debate, though in my opinion I think they would end up as good as each other. Providing the workmanship on the ultrex dump is good of course (we already know phat's work is second to none!) though going off what I have seen so far on their exhaust systems I'd be confident it's as good as the PHAT or TCP dump.
Black on Black..
kennysti

Car: 07 Liberty tuned by STi Wagon

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Jacob, I'm pretty sure phat's dumps are SS and ceramic coated
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby t.renshaw34 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 pm

-Phat dump
-X force center and Y (Biggest resonator on the market, doesn't even drone on autos, unlike other center piping.)
-insert your choice of muffler here.

Best bang for buck set up.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby kennysti » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 pm

hamish_023 wrote:Jacob, I'm pretty sure phat's dumps are SS and ceramic coated

Nope, most definitely mild steel ceramic coated unless phat made you something special. Check the old threads in his for sale section.

Edit*

Sourced from phat's original dump pipe thread

Hi Mo

i did not make them from S/Steel due to the high heat so mild steel cermic coated in and out will last a lot longer and perform better and you will never have a problem with turbo gaskets blowing out or cracking

from what i understand about cermic coating you should'nt use wraping as it will tend to rot the cermic

Michael
Black on Black..
kennysti

Car: 07 Liberty tuned by STi Wagon

Postby tangcla » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 am

kennysti wrote:i did not make them from S/Steel due to the high heat so mild steel cermic coated in and out will last a lot longer and perform better and you will never have a problem with turbo gaskets blowing out or cracking

Arguable, that was how it used to be in the early days but most exhaust manufacturers have changed the alloy in stainless to be able to withstand high heat variations. This just sounds to me an excuse (or reason) to use cheaper materials to keep costs down.

Agree about the heat wrap though, not a good idea.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Previous

Return to Exhausts