Postby ndlibgt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Here's what I'm after.
1) flow (low restriction)
2) low noise (have young children)
3) don't want to stand out eg 4inch tips, cannons etc
4) hip pocket friendly

Am I dreaming?
Any suggestions.

Plan on fitting 3inch dump & keeping stock mid & y.
Thx
Nelson
ndlibgt

Car: 04 GT

Re: Muffler upgrade opinions

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Assume you are wanting more power? Probably better spending your money on an ECU tune. You won't get a lot of gain from replacing the mufflers alone.

I upgraded my 04 GT to the STi quads, which I don't think flow much better than the non STi mufflers so perhaps a bad example, and yes they offer a slightly nicer exhaust note but there is little noticeable performance increase.
Last edited by AndrewCowley on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby hamish_023 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 pm

TCP Auto, Can't recommend them enough! Tony is making slight alterations to the LH muffler to make it sit a bit more level however sounds levels and looks they are top quality.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby ndlibgt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Assume you are wanting more power? Probably better spending your money on an ECU tune. You won't get a lot of gain from replacing the mufflers alone.

I upgraded my 04 GT to the STi quads, which I don't think flow much better than the non STi mufflers so perhaps a bad example, and yes they offer a slightly nicer exhaust note but there is little noticeable performance increase.

Thx Andrew, did 4get to mention I am going to get ecu tune. Just want to get all mods done first. I was also contemplating sti quads but from what I could tell there wasn't much of a gain in terms of flow over the stock gt one. Just want others to confirm this and hoping for alternatives.
Cheers
ndlibgt

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11 pm

The STi quads look really good and sound a tad better than stock. They flow the same however. They are the exact same shape as the stockers and the piping into them is also identical.

If you can pick them up cheap then it might be a good option for you given you want low noise. I opted for them for this reason.

Ultimately though from a performance perspective I'd do all these things before considering mufflers -

Dump pipe.
ECU tune.
Intercooler.

Wisdom seems to say to leave the centre pipe alone.

Hey you should also consider a HKS panel filter. Can install it yourself and it offers a little better throttle response and a more aggressive intake sound too (not over the top however). I got mine from Phat GT.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby cruisn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm

What are you after in terms of driveability Nelson?

I had HKS mufflers as you know and swapped to STi quads.

A little back pressure from the STi quads is great for around the town for low down and quick spool.

I removed the factory centre muffler and fitted a Magnaflow s/s hotdog in its place. Add the Phat dump and a tune and the down low pull will be great.

I want down low power as I drive this car to work everyday through the city. I dont need top end from a more freer flowing system.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby GT_Tony » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 am

im thinking of replacing my 3" stainless center pipe for the factory one, see how it sounds and i need the height clearance :oops:

will let the people know if theres any performance loss/ sound difference
*** Team Tony *** 555 ***
GT_Tony
-stickered-

Car: Black 05 GT Sedan

Postby coyote » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am

Just go to a good exhaust shop and get them to fit a pair of 1.5" straight through mufflers.

They will cost next to nothing, you can attach whatever tips you like, they will be quiet (if decent quality) and they will outflow your stock centre section, hence be no restriction at all.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby ndlibgt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Thx 4 the feedback guys

Andrew I do have a HKS panel & removed resonator for a bit of toss factor. Not looking to set any dyno sheet records or anything, mainly drivability, but need to weigh up investment vs return etc. I'm sure like many others here who perhaps in their younger years may have got a little carried away in terms of spending crazy amounts of money then come sale time I'm sure you what happens next.

cruisn wrote:What are you after in terms of driveability Nelson?
I had HKS mufflers as you know and swapped to STi quads.
A little back pressure from the STi quads is great for around the town for low down and quick spool.
I removed the factory centre muffler and fitted a Magnaflow s/s hotdog in its place. Add the Phat dump and a tune and the down low pull will be great.
I want down low power as I drive this car to work everyday through the city. I dont need top end from a more freer flowing system.

Hey Mark
Totally agree with you once again :wink:
Whilst I'm no expert and correct me if I'm wrong I know there is some amount of restriction required I figured I get that from the transition from 3" dump to the smaller centre, y & muffler :D

Tony
Be very interested to see what results you come up with

Cheers guys
ndlibgt

Return to Exhausts