Exhaust changes to the 3.0R/B... worthwhile?

Exhaust modifications

Re: Exhaust changes to the 3.0R/B... worthwhile?

Postby HoFF » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

SH30RB wrote:
HoFF wrote:
SH30RB wrote:sorry to hijack, has anyone put STi quads on a 3RB? if so do they change the zorst sound much or not?

There is a very very slight difference in tone I noticed when I put mine on. I like them. If your really after a change in sound tho I would suggest TCP quads

im not after a major change in sound, was just curious as another member on here is selling some and i was thinking about snapping them up come pay day (next year)
any chance you could upload a clip to showcase the sound? muchly appreciated tom!

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. If your looking at Bens quads, I hope you realize they are for a sedan not a wagon. They will sit under the bumper Instead of just past. Have a look at my car and compare it to Georges silver wagon to see how they look
HoFF
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT MY09 Foz
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13577&start=255

Postby Egg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:03 am

Blitzen06Wgn wrote:I'm thinking straight pipes too or maybe a little hot dog in place of the big cans at the rear if it gets a bit drony.

I'd be interested in our feedback.

Could you also let us know what it costs. It shouldn't be too hard or expensive to get two sections made up from the 2 bolt flange at the back axle to the bumper including the supports. You could then put on a couple of one into two chrome tips to finish it off.

I ended up changing mine last week and Tried the following.I have Sti Genome Tips,
Got rid of the 3rd cat and replaced it with a collector that I got made up

God rid of the resonator and tried it running straight through like this but it was way too loud and sounded shit.

Next step we stuck a little hot dog on it and it sounds just about right. Im leaning towards to still going up on more size in hot dogs, Im just a bit concerned of the noise under load on take off. Police might look at it and go ...... bit loud. Up top it roars I love it. But as I said I think just for safety sake I might go the nex size up hot dog, as the one I have had put on is only small anyway. All up it cost me about $290 to get the pipe made up and installed with the hot dog, + what ever its gonna cost to change the current hot dog.

I tried uploading the clip to photobucket, but it freezes at 30%, and only goes for a minute so not sure what Im doing wrong.

Little bit off subject but I have known this exhaust place for years and they are old school rockers and work mostly on v8's, their average car is 550-700hp I took a couple of pics as well. There was an old ZC fairlane with a 434 in it 650 hp!!! running a twin 3.5" system ha ha.

You can see the fairlane in the background on the hoist, and to the left in the background that shit looking little fiat had a lancia twin cam motor running a sprintex type supercharger!!! ultimate sleeper

Egg

Car: MY07 Spec B Wagon Pearl white

Postby Blitzen06Wgn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Great pictures thanls. Those Fiat Super Bravas went pretty well stock so I would imagine it would be a V* beater with that setup.

Nice exhaust work and looks like good quality for the price. I think I need to shop around, everywhere I have spoken to here in the West want $300 min for just to "cot out" the rear mufflers and replace with straight pipe that hangs off original rubber mounts. Who knows what deleting the 3rd Cat and custom made collector/Y joint would cost.

Not worried about the howl/scream at 6000+rpm, that would be awesome, I'm more concerned with a nce note that isn't offensive at 1500-2500 under load or the 3000 rpm drone on the freeway.

Cheers.
[b][i]TEAM BLACK. TEAM WAGON
2006 BP 3.0R SPEC B Blitzen Wagon 5AT 4WD
Blitzen06Wgn

Car: 2006 3.0R-B Blitzen Wagon

Postby Blitzen06Wgn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:54 pm

* V8 beater
Blitzen06Wgn

Postby Egg » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Thats what I'm trying to elimate now, that low down note on take off under load is still a tad loud. Not sure whether to put a big long hot dog or just go the next size up hot dog. I have to wait till the 9th anyway.
Egg

Postby saffarco » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:01 am

Anybody yet replaced the 2 cats with high flow ones, removed the middle cat and the resonator?

I'm interested to see what real difference that would make.
saffarco

Car: 3.0R 2009 5EAT

Postby kiks » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:25 am

2.5 in cats off prospeed racing are cheap. Give it a go.
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Postby BJ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:55 pm

saffarco wrote:Anybody yet replaced the 2 cats with high flow ones, removed the middle cat and the resonator?

I'm interested to see what real difference that would make.

I had the 2 cats replaced with 100 cell high flow ones, removed the middle cat and had a proper 2 into 1 collector put in like in the photos earlier. I have romraider for logging and it shows about 1kW extra, even after a retune.

I had already removed the rear mufflers and replaced them with hot dogs and had the car tuned which gave about 12kW more.

If anyone wants to swap the front part of the exhaust, up to the centre flange, or buy mine or sell me theirs, PM me please.
BJ

Car: Liberty 3.0RB

Postby BJ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Jelwin, yes I am still interested in swapping. I sent a reply to your pm but just noticed it isn't in the sent box so it must've disappeared somewhere. Other messages don't seem to be sending either. Can you send me another pm with an email address and I will reply by email.
BJ

Postby SH30RB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 pm

can someone tell me what the advantages of a hotdog over a good set of mufflers are?

and egg, what hotdogs are you using?
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Jelwin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 am

SH30RB wrote:can someone tell me what the advantages of a hotdog over a good set of mufflers are?

and egg, what hotdogs are you using?

louder. less weight being smaller.
Jelwin

Car: MY06 3.0r-B

Postby Blitzen06Wgn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

Cost also!

On eBay today
ttM.jpg
ttM.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
Blitzen06Wgn

Postby SH30RB » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:25 am

are they more or less restrictive tho? compared to mufflers
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Egg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:34 am

For that price I wouldnt touch em...... I bought my Sti Genomes for that price.......... then got stung for import dutie fees and other bullshit fees.
But on a Serious note you got get a nice set of anything else better for that price, I think they are called TCP or something similar for that price, even magnaflows would be better.
Egg

Postby BJ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:34 am

Much less restrictive, they are straight through.
BJ

PreviousNext

Return to Exhausts