Exhaust changes to the 3.0R/B... worthwhile?

Exhaust modifications

Exhaust changes to the 3.0R/B... worthwhile?

Postby SegR » Thu May 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Is trying to open up the exhaust on a 3.0R likely to make any appreciable gain to performance? (with a tune to follow)

Or is it going to achieve little other than more freedom for the H6 to talk a little louder?

Looking at anything from outer muffler replacement (quads) to changes to the stock pipes, cats and any other mufflers remaining in the system.

Obviously there's plenty to be gained for a turbo... but less information seems to be available for N/A vehicles and although a few people seem to have done 3.0R[B] mods in this area, nobody talks very much about performance gains.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: Exhaust changes to the 3.0R/B... worthwhile?

Postby Robbks » Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm

from speaking with a number of very experienced guys with respect to Subies, tuning, rallying, conversions, etc
the overwhelming advice i got from them regards to exhausts was the following.

with regards to the headers/ front section of the exhaust
This is where any gains will be made

-remove the 3 cat converters in the headers (one on each seperate bank and the 2-1 pipe which is a third cat)
-replace with one high flow (200cell or 100cell) cat on each bank
-re-install factory o2 sensors in their stock locations
-keep the 2-1 collector in the stock location
-keep the pipe diameter the same as stock

this is exactly what i'm doing
i have currently only done the 2-1 (rearmost cat converter) as seen below

but next is to remove the front two and have it tuned.

The advice given to me fopr the rest of the exhaust is, keep the centre section the same diameter as it is, removing the resonator will simply change the note, no performance difference
and changing the rear mufflers do basically nothing as far as power goes. it's all about sound

I'm not expecting much gain at all, just a little more smoothness and economy
but even with just that one cat removed, i have noticed the low-down flatspot (1500-200rpm) i had has disappeared and the car is much easier and smoother to creep around in that rev range in traffic, it was always very jerky, but is now much nicer
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby swingn » Thu May 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Biggest gain is going to come from the tune itself.

If you're planning on doing a full exhaust & maybe even headers, then of course you are going to get a bigger power gain etc etc etc... If you're talking about just doing a catback, the gains are damn near negligible... But the sound will make you feel like your going faster :D
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby SegR » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Rob. Good info. With those cat changes would the system be likely to meet emissions standards and would it cause the ECU to freak out until a tune is done?

Robbks wrote:but even with just that one cat removed, i have noticed the low-down flatspot (1500-200rpm) i had has disappeared and the car is much easier and smoother to creep around in that rev range in traffic, it was always very jerky, but is now much nicer

Really - that's surprising - I wouldn't expect it to have made that much difference. It's the low-end sluggishness that shits me at the moment really. Can't complain about performance from 3000rpm+ (the car seems to just wake up at about the 3000rpm mark).

swingn wrote:Biggest gain is going to come from the tune itself.

If you're planning on doing a full exhaust & maybe even headers, then of course you are going to get a bigger power gain etc etc etc... If you're talking about just doing a catback, the gains are damn near negligible... But the sound will make you feel like your going faster :D

I expect the sound also results in an increase in mass of the driver's right foot, assisting the speed increase further.

Headers... couldn't be bothered and probably beyond what I'd want to spend anyway. I'm trying to work out the balance between price and benefit (sound, appearance, performance, boner inducement) - this will of course be different for everyone.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby Robbks » Fri May 27, 2011 8:25 am

the standard car will probably not meet emissions now it's a few years old anyway.
basically as long as you can show you have cats and they're working you should be fine.
butthe ECU tune will throw it off anyway.

i'm not expecting any CEL issues given I'm putting cats back in teh same spots in relation to the o2 sensors. if there's problems, my tuner will just turn them off
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Postby SegR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Robbks wrote:-remove the 3 cat converters in the headers (one on each seperate bank and the 2-1 pipe which is a third cat)

this is exactly what i'm doing

Did you end up finishing these mods, Rob or is this still a work in progress?

Without a dyno run before the mods, after the mods, then again with a tune, I guess it's hard to quantify the real benefit - but in your opinion, is the above work worth the time, effort and money?

I'm planning how far I should delve into my bank account before getting the tune done!
Team Beards
SegR

Postby Robbks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm

still in progress.
a few setback with other minor things needing attention (aircon re-gas, CV boots, etc)
but with the small gains noticed from the removal of the rear cat, and the restrictions that are still to be eliminated, i think they will be worthwhile

on just about any car a full exhaust re-vamp will set you back in the vicinity of $1000 when you're replacing cats aswell so i don't think it's an outrageous expense
Robbks

Postby B8ZE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Robbks wrote:from speaking with a number of very experienced guys with respect to Subies, tuning, rallying, conversions, etc
the overwhelming advice i got from them regards to exhausts was the following.

with regards to the headers/ front section of the exhaust
This is where any gains will be made

-remove the 3 cat converters in the headers (one on each seperate bank and the 2-1 pipe which is a third cat)

The advice given to me fopr the rest of the exhaust is, keep the centre section the same diameter as it is, removing the resonator will simply change the note, no performance difference
and changing the rear mufflers do basically nothing as far as power goes. it's all about sound

I'm not expecting much gain at all, just a little more smoothness and economy
but even with just that one cat removed, i have noticed the low-down flatspot (1500-200rpm) i had has disappeared and the car is much easier and smoother to creep around in that rev range in traffic, it was always very jerky, but is now much nicer

I got quoted roughly around $1200 to have this done including new mufflers & piping from the mufflers back whilst keeping the standard tips. Does it seem like a fair price?
B8ZE

Postby Robbks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:50 pm

B8ZE wrote:I got quoted roughly around $1200 to have this done including new mufflers & piping from the mufflers back whilst keeping the standard tips. Does it seem like a fair price?

Sounds about right for what i costed out
$250 per cat and $250 per muffler + pipe, flanges, etc
Robbks

Postby Blitzen06Wgn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:03 am

I recently fitted a tow bar to my 3.0R wagon. Being a bit of a bogan from way back, while I had the mufflers off I thought I'd see what it sounded like.

I was surprised at how quiet the exhaust was with no rear mufflers. I would say definitely street legal and a nice note too.

Had me thinking that you could save money by just having straight pipes at the rear instead of mufflers. I'm not sure how that would affect the power dynamics, economy etc.

Interesting though!
[b][i]TEAM BLACK. TEAM WAGON
2006 BP 3.0R SPEC B Blitzen Wagon 5AT 4WD
Blitzen06Wgn

Car: 2006 3.0R-B Blitzen Wagon

Postby SegR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Ha interesting. Can't say I've tried running with no muffs.

Has anyone here run a 3.0R (auto or manual, preferably auto) with STI quads and can you comment on their sound? The Phat quads sound awesome on GTs and spec B's but on the auto N/A, drone at ~2700RPM and it bugs the hell out of me.
Last edited by SegR on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby Finky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm just running strait pipe and I think it sounds unreal.. But the drone is pretty annoying on the freeway but just cruze at about 120km and it goes silent haha
GOTTA LOVE 180Kw WHILE BEING A P PLATER!

06 blitzen | coilovers | double din headunit | Sub Doofers! | HID's | 18" King Rims | Purple Headlights haha | strait pipe exhaust .. That's about it..
Finky

Car: 06 Blitzen 3.0 R-B

Postby SegR » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:51 am

You're nuts :-p

The quads I have only drone in a band of about 300RPM and are completely fine outside of that. I'm just picky.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby Blitzen06Wgn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:51 am

Nice wheels you have Finky. The white looks really good against the red Blitzen. I'm not sure I like the Blitzen wheels any more - they look a bit like BMW X5 or Ford XR5. A pity the 12 spoke STI wheels are so expensive as they look awesome.
[b][i]TEAM BLACK. TEAM WAGON
2006 BP 3.0R SPEC B Blitzen Wagon 5AT 4WD
Blitzen06Wgn

Car: 2006 3.0R-B Blitzen Wagon

Postby bates91 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Blitzen06Wgn wrote:Nice wheels you have Finky. The white looks really good against the red Blitzen. I'm not sure I like the Blitzen wheels any more - they look a bit like BMW X5 or Ford XR5. A pity the 12 spoke STI wheels are so expensive as they look awesome.

sell your blitzens then... :)
theyre rare enough that i think theyd go for a pretty good price
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Next

Return to Exhausts