STI quads - turbo cans on an NA car

Exhaust modifications

STI quads - turbo cans on an NA car

Postby Statts » Thu May 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi all

Just looking at picking up some second hand STI cans for my 3.0R-B, however I noticed that the turbo and non-turbo models have different part numbers. Do anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks,
Chris
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Re: STI quads - turbo cans on an NA car

Postby Kekotic » Thu May 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Statts wrote:Hi all

Just looking at picking up some second hand STI cans for my 3.0R-B, however I noticed that the turbo and non-turbo models have different part numbers. Do anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks,
Chris

Err....How would you get non turbo STi mufflers.....
They never made STi 3.0 did they?

Are you sure you are not mistaking it for Sedan and Wagon mufflers....
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby drndrn » Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 pm

No he's right. There are NA mufflers for sedan+wagon. Then Turbo mufflers for sedan+wagon. Different part numbers.

I'v egot turbo sti cans on my car, couldn't tell you the difference between these and the NA ones tho.
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby mihai » Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Err....How would you get non turbo STi mufflers.....
They never made STi 3.0 did they?

Are you sure you are not mistaking it for Sedan and Wagon mufflers....

Getting that foot in mouth feeling again by any chance?
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby Kekotic » Thu May 05, 2011 10:14 pm

mihai wrote:Getting that foot in mouth feeling again by any chance?

Notice the question mark of me asking if they made STi 3.0.

Go away kthanx
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby mihai » Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Notice the question mark of me asking if they made STi 3.0.

Go away kthanx

Notice how the thread was asking about differences between the STi mufflers for turbo and NA cars (due to different part numbers). Not if the 3.0 ever came in a STi version.

I'm sure if you badly wanted to know if the 3.0 came in STi version you could have googled it.

From where I'm sitting, your comment looked more sarcastic than a genuine question.

So once again, I ask, getting that foot in mouth feeling?
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Postby Kekotic » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

mihai wrote:From where I'm sitting

The internet tough guy chair?

It was a genuine question, stop nitpicking every single post I make. We all get it, you don't like me...that's great.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby mihai » Thu May 05, 2011 10:40 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:The internet tough guy chair?

It was a genuine question, stop nitpicking every single post I make. We all get it, you don't like me...that's great.

Nope, sitting quite comfortably at home.

And to be honest, with the amount of crap that you do post, you make it kinda hard not to nitpick your posts.
mihai

Postby Kekotic » Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 pm

mihai wrote:And to be honest, with the amount of crap that you do post, you make it kinda hard not to nitpick your posts.

Funny, you seem to be the only one who consistently does it.
Time for you to get over it maybe?

And I'll add that I agree I post a lot of crap. But also some good stuff too. Like that time I broke my fog light when I tried to install HID's for the first time. :lol:
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Arith » Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 pm

If I remember correctly, they were the same for the 1st and 2nd versions (MY07 and MY08). I guess with version 3, they've distinguished the N/A and turbo versions, which would make sense because N/A's need smaller diameter piping than the turbo otherwise they lose low end power. Mind that's just pure speculation as I don't know much about the new STi mufflers now available.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby drndrn » Thu May 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Arith wrote:If I remember correctly, they were the same for the 1st and 2nd versions (MY07 and MY08). I guess with version 3, they've distinguished the N/A and turbo versions, which would make sense because N/A's need smaller diameter piping than the turbo otherwise they lose low end power. Mind that's just pure speculation as I don't know much about the new STi mufflers now available.

New STi mufflers available? I think he was referring to the Gen IV ones not GenV (if that's what you meant Jim).

As Jim pointed out above, the different diameter piping is where it's at. The STi cans I have actually drone at about 1600RPM (not sure if it's drone, but it hits this certain frequency that just makes everything including my ear drums rattle and vibrate. It's almost unbearable (it's probably why I got EPA'd a year or so ago). But it's only at that RPM, other than that they're sweet.

I know on my car (2.5i) they are definitely louder than the stock cans, not by too much though.
drndrn
-stickered-

Postby tangcla » Thu May 05, 2011 11:13 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:And I'll add that I agree I post a lot of crap. But also some good stuff too. Like that time I broke my fog light when I tried to install HID's for the first time. :lol:

That was just dumb :P I mean, I don't know of anyone who's broken a light assembly when changing globes... :P
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby teK-- » Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm

drndrn wrote:
Arith wrote:If I remember correctly, they were the same for the 1st and 2nd versions (MY07 and MY08). I guess with version 3, they've distinguished the N/A and turbo versions, which would make sense because N/A's need smaller diameter piping than the turbo otherwise they lose low end power. Mind that's just pure speculation as I don't know much about the new STi mufflers now available.

New STi mufflers available? I think he was referring to the Gen IV ones not GenV (if that's what you meant Jim).

As Jim pointed out above, the different diameter piping is where it's at. The STi cans I have actually drone at about 1600RPM (not sure if it's drone, but it hits this certain frequency that just makes everything including my ear drums rattle and vibrate. It's almost unbearable (it's probably why I got EPA'd a year or so ago). But it's only at that RPM, other than that they're sweet.

I know on my car (2.5i) they are definitely louder than the stock cans, not by too much though.

Don't drive around at a constant ~1600rpm :P
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby drndrn » Fri May 06, 2011 12:37 am

Haha can't remember if its exactly 1600 or not, but its close. It's only during cold idle that my garage and house seems like it's going to rattle into a million peices.
drndrn
-stickered-

Postby Greenman » Fri May 06, 2011 5:48 am

chaotic2050 wrote:
mihai wrote:And to be honest, with the amount of crap that you do post, you make it kinda hard not to nitpick your posts.

Funny, you seem to be the only one who consistently does it.
Time for you to get over it maybe?

And I'll add that I agree I post a lot of crap. :lol:

Oh really!!!! :lol:
I think just about everyone who has replied in this thread has experienced your "google search engine" comments and replies. :lol:
Chris did mention that he saw different part numbers.... Confirming that they exist.
I bet there's way more people sitting in the wings who haven't seen this thread yet. :wink:
Think about it :lol:
You tried flexing your google strength...... And failed :oops:
That's just my $15 worth. :mrgreen:

To the thread author.... I'm with you on your decision to use STI cans... They look hot .... It's your car.... Enjoy it.
Do liberties have fast idle on cold too?
Maybe that's what causes the "drone" on cold starts..... I know my forester used to do this all the time also.
Greenman
formerly cal68

Car: MY11 CX9 GT Zoom Zoom

Next

Return to Exhausts