06 TBSTI

Exhaust modifications

06 TBSTI

Postby Drtyboost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi guys

Just need some feedback if anyone has put aftermarket mufflers on the stock STI exhaust?

What im going to do is put bigger mufflers on the the back by keeping sti tips to get some grunt out of it,
which my local exhaust shop said would be fine to do, would this make the car run like Sh*t?

Thanks
Goran
2006 TB STI- (Stock)
Drtyboost

Car: 2006 TBSTI

Re: 06 TBSTI

Postby moggy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm

No it wouldn't, the sti system is identical to the standard GTb system, the only difference is the quad tips on the muffs. Because it's such a restrictive system to achieve good performance gains you need to upgrade the dump pipe, center pipe and fit less restrictive muffs. I suggest you do some research in the Exhaust forum. :wink:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Postby Drtyboost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 pm

No worries, i had a read around just getting use to this Liberty forum, so if i put different mufflers for some sound just for now? it should be a problem is that what your saying?
2006 TB STI- (Stock)
Drtyboost

Postby moggy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm

You didn't ask that, you wanted to fit different muffs for big performance gains. What I said was muffs on their own wont give you that boost because the whole system is restrictive, eg. changing my dump and muffs gave me an extra 20kw atw, then getting a tune gave me an additional 24kw atw. I now have a Fujitsubo cat back system so it's basicly 3" from the turbo all the way to the muffs and when I eventually get my front mount IC I'll probably get another tune done. To answer your last question it wont matter one way or the other if you fit different muffs just dont expect big gains if any. :wink:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Postby Drtyboost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Ahh ok, i just dont want to void my warranty by putting any big modifications as yet, thanks for your help mate.
2006 TB STI- (Stock)
Drtyboost

Postby Arith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 pm

You still have warranty on a MY06? :D

If you replace only the mufflers, noise will increase (how loud depends on what you get) and throttle response will be a bit quicker. But it would be hard to make it worse on a turbo.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Drtyboost » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Arith wrote:You still have warranty on a MY06? :D

If you replace only the mufflers, noise will increase (how loud depends on what you get) and throttle response will be a bit quicker. But it would be hard to make it worse on a turbo.

Yeh i bought it off a dealer second hand, and go extended warranty on it, that covers pretty much everything.

Il try the mufflers out and see how it goes.
2006 TB STI- (Stock)
Drtyboost

Return to Exhausts