TCP or Ultrex?

Exhaust modifications

TCP or Ultrex?

Postby gavrook » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi guys, considering an aftermarket TBE for my MY07 GT auto and looking at these two at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with both? or opinions on which would be better?

Currently i'm leaning towards the TCP, it's $300-400 more than the Ultrex but seems like it might be a little better quality. I plan on getting a tune after getting the exhaust put on if that changes things too.

I don't want it to be too loud and seems to me the TCP would be quieter than the Ultrex, does that sound correct? Any advice or even alternatives to consider would be great, thanks.
gavrook

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT

Re: TCP or Ultrex?

Postby JDGT05 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 pm

I have the Ultrex one on my car and it's fine haven't had any issues, TCP looks a lot classier though! I would have got TCP had they been available when I was looking to buy.
Now driving the mighty 86 :)
JDGT05

Car: STI Spec Forester
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14065

TCP or Ultrex?

Postby Gambit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

I have a custom exhaust system that might be up for sale, looking for EOI on it atm. ;)
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby kennysti » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm

JDGT05 wrote:I have the Ultrex one on my car and it's fine haven't had any issues, TCP looks a lot classier though! I would have got TCP had they been available when I was looking to buy.

Can second that on the ultrex exhaust, its great but if you are running UEL headers (07 and up) they are quite loud. Just thought I would mention since I heard your system at the last meet James, and comparing it to when I had the same setup as you mine was significantly louder than that.
Black on Black..
kennysti

Car: 07 Liberty tuned by STi Wagon

Postby hamish_023 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm

TCP ftw
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby iisshhyy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 pm

search button ftw
iisshhyy

Postby Jaz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I'd choose the TCP, in my case he was local and and the after sales service was great.
Jaz

Car: 07 GT-B sedan

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm

I looked at the TCP website and they only do WRX's. Where did you guys see the Lib exhaust?

Also not sure why you think the TCP is any better than the Ultrex. Welding looks quality on both and they're both stainless steel aren't they?
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Car: MY07 GT Wagon

Postby imania » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Sheik Jabooti wrote:I looked at the TCP website and they only do WRX's. Where did you guys see the Lib exhaust?

Also not sure why you think the TCP is any better than the Ultrex. Welding looks quality on both and they're both stainless steel aren't they?

Check the for sale section, tcp seller is on here under 'tbear'.
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby tbear » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 am

Sheik Jabooti wrote:I looked at the TCP website and they only do WRX's. Where did you guys see the Lib exhaust?

yes they both are stainless steel, but there are alot of things that make one system better that another, the weld quality is something that you need to look for, I have seen welds break before on cheaper systems, we get all our systems welded on the outside and on the inside to ensure this does not happen. Also how the system sits under the car is another important factor, cheaper system run the piping down lower, and dont have to have as many bends in them, which make them cheaper to manufacture. All TCP systems are made for the intended car. so you know it will sit nice and snug with the bottom of the car. where the system should run. the quality of the cats are also important, All TCP systems ahve a 200 cell metallic cat. other systems will use a ceramic cat, which will not last as long. the position of the cat is important to, TCP system have the cat high in the dump pipe where it works the best. It heats up faster there and flow is not an issue. Muffler quality / design is another factor, We use good quality gear that will last and the internals will not break down like cheaper systems. We also have a resonator installed in the mid pipe for all TCP systems.

heres some pictures of the Liberty mufflers, you can see the welds on the inside and outside,

tbear

Postby tangcla » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 am

I have a TCP exhaust on my Audi (thanks Tony!) and I've been very happy with the weld quality. Fitment isn't ideal, but that's expected for a test exhaust, it's more an issue with the jig that it was made on I thin. But the exhaust itself is solid, there's sufficient glass packing in the mufflers to keep it quiet on idle.

edit: note that I haven't had experience with Rob's systems, only Tony's.
Last edited by tangcla on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby ULTREX » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Guys - we currently only have the single tip mufflers on our systems - twin tips is being worked on and should not be too far away. Different strokes for different folks!

Ours system fits up nicely - welds are nice and tidy and sits up nicely under the car. We have positioned our system very competitively on price so some people are happy to save the extra $$ and spend it on other mods.
Turbo back is on special for $999
Cat back is on special for $599
http://www.ultrex.com.au/liberty-parts- ... 4e6d931f0c

At the end of the day it just depends how much you want to spend on an exhaust -we are all about a good product at a fair price :)

Cheers
Rob
ULTREX

Postby kennysti » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

ULTREX wrote:Hi Guys - we currently only have the single tip mufflers on our systems - twin tips is being worked on and should not be too far away. Different strokes for different folks!

Ours system fits up nicely - welds are nice and tidy and sits up nicely under the car. We have positioned our system very competitively on price so some people are happy to save the extra $$ and spend it on other mods.

At the end of the day it just depends how much you want to spend on an exhaust -we are all about a good product at a fair price :)

Cheers
Rob

Big supporter of Rob and his exhaust systems. After sales care was great as well and have been happy with it thus far. Don't overlook Ultrex just for the lower pricing of the systems, see it as a great benefit!
Black on Black..
kennysti

Car: 07 Liberty tuned by STi Wagon

Postby agan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:22 am

ULTREX wrote:Hi Guys - we currently only have the single tip mufflers on our systems - twin tips is being worked on and should not be too far away. Different strokes for different folks!

Cheers
Rob

Rob keep up posted, I will be very keen..as will be a mate of mine :)
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm

kennysti wrote:

Cheers
Rob

Big supporter of Rob and his exhaust systems. After sales care was great as well and have been happy with it thus far. Don't overlook Ultrex just for the lower pricing of the systems, see it as a great benefit!

Hiya Jacob,

What did you get in terms of exhaust from Rob? Full TBE or Cat back? I was wondering about the DP flow whether its as good as the infamous PHAT GT version?
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Car: MY07 GT Wagon

Next

Return to Exhausts