Aftermarket exhaust + young kids

Exhaust modifications

Aftermarket exhaust + young kids

Postby aySKE » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:00 am

Hi all,

So have been looking at hks/fujitsubo exhausts on YouTube for the br9. They seem softer on start which is what I'm after

I'm wondering on the highway at low rpm is the drone very minimal and anyone with young kids, have they found it annoying/loud? My kids are ages 6/4

Thanks
aySKE

Re: Aftermarket exhaust + young kids

Postby LibertyTragic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:00 pm

I find most young kids love loud exhausts!

Anyways, I can vouch for the AVO exhaust system as pretty quiet and no drone, although mine is on a turbo GT.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby aySKE » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:49 pm

yep same, cept wagon. I was looking at that.. I will see if you have a sound clip
aySKE

Postby LibertyTragic » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 am

Yeah mate there is a vid in my profile link.

You won’t go wrong with an AVO or invidia cat back. They are both pretty contained in sound levels. X-force is another option and quite a bit cheaper. User mustardtiger has an x-force system on his Gen5 if you want to get some feedback on it.
LibertyTragic

Postby mustardtiger » Wed May 11, 2022 10:12 am

I had the same dilemma with my exhaust and am still trying to sort it out, wanted something which will flow and a nice tone without being overly loud. I ran street friendly Japanese exhausts in all of my daily driven imports and was after something like the HKS legal system on my old JZX100, nice note on full throttle but fairly quiet when tooting around town. Unfortunately my vehicle runs the factory rear bumper lip so limits 99% of exhausts due to the tips not fitting

Can’t really recommend the xforce, mine didn’t fit very well and was pretty loud :( Sounded amazing on full noise thru the hills but was too much for daily driving IMO, got to the point I couldn’t listen to music and my kids sitting in the back regularly complained of the noise.

Had the stock mufflers adapted to suit the xforce, cut down all the noise but sounded like there was a kazoo stuck in the exhaust until the cat heats up. Ended up swapping out for an AVO unit (same as LibertyTragic) minus the mufflers, with the plan of fitting some MY14 STI mufflers….but had some issues with fitment with the factory bumper rear lip :(
mustardtiger

Postby Yowie » Wed May 11, 2022 7:13 pm

Don't rule-out talking to a good exhaust shop about your requirements.

I ended up going with a stainless X-force dump pipe and cat, followed by a custom mid and rear section in mild steel consisting of two louvred resonators in a row then two tri-flow mufflers.

I'm pretty happy with the "sporty but quiet" sound. My wife still isn't a fan, but swings & roundabouts.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby aySKE » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:27 am

mustardtiger wrote:I had the same dilemma with my exhaust and am still trying to sort it out, wanted something which will flow and a nice tone without being overly loud. I ran street friendly Japanese exhausts in all of my daily driven imports and was after something like the HKS legal system on my old JZX100, nice note on full throttle but fairly quiet when tooting around town. Unfortunately my vehicle runs the factory rear bumper lip so limits 99% of exhausts due to the tips not fitting

Can’t really recommend the xforce, mine didn’t fit very well and was pretty loud :( Sounded amazing on full noise thru the hills but was too much for daily driving IMO, got to the point I couldn’t listen to music and my kids sitting in the back regularly complained of the noise.

Had the stock mufflers adapted to suit the xforce, cut down all the noise but sounded like there was a kazoo stuck in the exhaust until the cat heats up. Ended up swapping out for an AVO unit (same as LibertyTragic) minus the mufflers, with the plan of fitting some MY14 STI mufflers….but had some issues with fitment with the factory bumper rear lip :(
Yeah been looking at some of the HKS options. Being japanese products I know they'll have a conservative but respectable note, and maybe worth the extra 1-200$ if necessary. I also see that AVO make an axle back for the gen5. Decisions Decisions ...
aySKE

Postby aySKE » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:28 am

LibertyTragic wrote:I find most young kids love loud exhausts!

Anyways, I can vouch for the AVO exhaust system as pretty quiet and no drone, although mine is on a turbo GT.
Is yours the TBE or axle? I know they make one for sedan fitment but I see the tips can be extended which I'd imagine should be ok...
aySKE

Postby Stifull » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:11 am

We had 6 children and they didn't seem to mind noise when in the Subarus and they all had non standard exhausts and the drone probably helped them off to sleep. As they got older they loved the sound and the acceleration but be warned, in a few years you may end up with a yard looking like this......

As they all started their families they moved on to SUVs but we still have 6 subarus here.. My grandkids love them so I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the drone isn't excessive, nobody likes that. I recently installed a high flow cat (it didn't have one at all after the power upgrade) and a small resonator to my GT to quieten it down. So much more pleasant to drive.
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:00 pm

Will you consider tuning the car for the new exhaust?

A dump upgrade being being the usual trigger requiring a tune since it will unleash a little more power.

After that it’s your choice of 3” chambered vs turbo &/or hotdog muffs, the latter tending to drone unless used with sidebranch resonators.

You car has equal length headers so it’s always going to sound smoother than uels.

So I’d try chambered mid, turbo muffs or a jdm catback kit.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby LibertyTragic » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:51 pm

aySKE wrote:
LibertyTragic wrote:I find most young kids love loud exhausts!

Is yours the TBE or axle? I know they make one for sedan fitment but I see the tips can be extended which I'd imagine should be ok...

Full TBE with tune to suit. Really wakens up the car!

I would suspect there is no difference in axel back fitment between wagon and sedan. Speak to AVO to confirm and cross check against other brands to see if they offer wagon specific variants. Only option you had to be aware of for AVO is the mid-pipe has an auto and manual option.
LibertyTragic

Postby aySKE » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:35 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Will you consider tuning the car for the new exhaust?

A dump upgrade being being the usual trigger requiring a tune since it will unleash a little more power.

After that it’s your choice of 3” chambered vs turbo &/or hotdog muffs, the latter tending to drone unless used with sidebranch resonators.

You car has equal length headers so it’s always going to sound smoother than uels.

So I’d try chambered mid, turbo muffs or a jdm catback kit.
I've ordered the AVO mufflers only. Didn't want to CBE due to funds and happy if it's a bit louder than stock as it seems to be from videos... Should get it next week.
aySKE

Return to Exhausts