Aftermarket exhaust + young kids

Exhaust modifications

Aftermarket exhaust + young kids

Postby aySKE » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:00 am

Hi all,

So have been looking at hks/fujitsubo exhausts on YouTube for the br9. They seem softer on start which is what I'm after

I'm wondering on the highway at low rpm is the drone very minimal and anyone with young kids, have they found it annoying/loud? My kids are ages 6/4

Thanks
aySKE

Re: Aftermarket exhaust + young kids

Postby LibertyTragic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:00 pm

I find most young kids love loud exhausts!

Anyways, I can vouch for the AVO exhaust system as pretty quiet and no drone, although mine is on a turbo GT.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby aySKE » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:49 pm

yep same, cept wagon. I was looking at that.. I will see if you have a sound clip
aySKE

Postby LibertyTragic » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 am

Yeah mate there is a vid in my profile link.

You won’t go wrong with an AVO or invidia cat back. They are both pretty contained in sound levels. X-force is another option and quite a bit cheaper. User mustardtiger has an x-force system on his Gen5 if you want to get some feedback on it.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby mustardtiger » Wed May 11, 2022 10:12 am

I had the same dilemma with my exhaust and am still trying to sort it out, wanted something which will flow and a nice tone without being overly loud. I ran street friendly Japanese exhausts in all of my daily driven imports and was after something like the HKS legal system on my old JZX100, nice note on full throttle but fairly quiet when tooting around town. Unfortunately my vehicle runs the factory rear bumper lip so limits 99% of exhausts due to the tips not fitting

Can’t really recommend the xforce, mine didn’t fit very well and was pretty loud :( Sounded amazing on full noise thru the hills but was too much for daily driving IMO, got to the point I couldn’t listen to music and my kids sitting in the back regularly complained of the noise.

Had the stock mufflers adapted to suit the xforce, cut down all the noise but sounded like there was a kazoo stuck in the exhaust until the cat heats up. Ended up swapping out for an AVO unit (same as LibertyTragic) minus the mufflers, with the plan of fitting some MY14 STI mufflers….but had some issues with fitment with the factory bumper rear lip :(
mustardtiger

Postby Yowie » Wed May 11, 2022 7:13 pm

Don't rule-out talking to a good exhaust shop about your requirements.

I ended up going with a stainless X-force dump pipe and cat, followed by a custom mid and rear section in mild steel consisting of two louvred resonators in a row then two tri-flow mufflers.

I'm pretty happy with the "sporty but quiet" sound. My wife still isn't a fan, but swings & roundabouts.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Return to Exhausts