Replacing resonator in factory exhaust

Exhaust modifications

Replacing resonator in factory exhaust

Postby Shaheenis » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:50 am

Has anyone done this? Yes I have used the search tool and couldn't find anything discussing this.

I am just curious at this stage whether anyone has done this, especially on a wagon, replacing the factory resonator with a hotdog or similiar for less flow restriction and a bit more sound.

I am generally happy with my exhaust note (cat back is stock with STI muffs) but would prefer it to be slightly louder 10-20% increase on stock STI muff sound would be great. I do not want to replace the cat back with after market, just looking at possibility of replacing resonator. If it would achieve my goals it would be a pretty simple job for an exhaust shop so I would seriously consider it. Any feedback appreciated.
Last edited by Shaheenis on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Re: Replacing resonator in factory exhaust

Postby THE SpecB » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:16 am

Shaheenis wrote:Has anyone done this? Yes I have used the search tool and couldn't find anything discussing this.

I am just curious at this stage whether anyone has done this, especially on a wagon, replacing the factory resonator with a hotdog or similiar for less flow restriction and a bit more sound.

I am generally happy with my exhaust note (cat back is stock with STI muffs) but would prefer it to be slightly louder 10-20% increase on stock STI muff sound would be great. If it would achieve my goals it would be a pretty simple job for an exhaust shop so I would seriously consider it. Any feedback appreciated.

You could go a system -3inch centre and into 2.5 Y pipe this will give you a nicer note.

With hot dog in centre. Xforce is good system.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby Shaheenis » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:38 am

I thought it was obvious but I probably should have clarified. I am not interested in replacing the cat back with aftermarket. Opening post updated.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby ferret89 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Tim I had a straight through muffler fitted on my old 04 GT to reduce drone and deepen the sound a bit which I was pretty happy with. It was a Magnaflow muffler that replaced the hotdog and made a huge difference. Any exhaust shop could probably supply and swap them over for under $20..

One of these:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02glasspack.asp
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Hey Daniel they look pretty good and the sort of thing I was thinking. Chop out the factory resonator and replace with one of these would have to give a deeper note than what I have now.

They say the material is 'Aluminized' which I have never heard of. I am assuming they could be welded to stainless or mild steel.

Did you have an aftermarket rear muffler when you had this fitted?
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby RX25SE » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:02 pm

I know on the H6 the center resonator is a straight through design, is the GTB the same?

If it is, then there is no gain in terms of flow if it was to be replaced with a hotdog.

Shaheenis wrote:They say the material is 'Aluminized' which I have never heard of. I am assuming they could be welded to stainless or mild steel.

It's just a coating to reduce surface corrosion. Can be welded to mild or stainless steel (that is used for exhausts) no problem.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby ferret89 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Hey Daniel they look pretty good and the sort of thing I was thinking. Chop out the factory resonator and replace with one of these would have to give a deeper note than what I have now.

They say the material is 'Aluminized' which I have never heard of. I am assuming they could be welded to stainless or mild steel.

Did you have an aftermarket rear muffler when you had this fitted?

I had a full (mild steel) TBE when this was fitted, but it was a bit raspy and droned a little for my liking. Swapped the hotdog resonator for one of those and it was a much better deeper sound and significantly reduced drone so I was pretty happy, if I remember correctly it was about $180 or so to supply and install and only took an hour or two.

The exhaust shop told me that it was worth going the Magnaflow (or any other proper brand) than a cheap ebay spec one as they are only a bit more expensive and much better quality.
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 am

This is back on the agenda. Want to do it so the sound isn't quite so muffled, not for performance. Interestingly I just spoke with one of the guys from MRT who fits their exhausts and he said there would be no performance gain from swapping the mid and Y pipe, apparently they flow just fine all restriction is in CATs and dump pipe. So I am now just looking for a good quality mid muffler that won't cause drone. The glasspack Ferret posted looks good but seems like 3" is smallest and I think factory system is ~2.25 or ~2.5?

Thinking something like http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=11114

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Ended up getting one of these - http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=10416 - sounds the business and no where near over the top, family friendly.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Return to Exhausts