3.0R Customer Satisfaction

TyronH - 2007 ADM Subaru Legacy 3R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Mon May 04, 2015 8:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7207&p=401254#p401254
http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/vie ... 1759#p1759
http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/vie ... 1777#p1777

Daytona wrote:Hey, just thought I'd post my feedback from what I'm currently doing.

I just joined the forums a coupled days back, I'm based in NZ with a 2007 Legacy 3.0R 6MT.
I've been looking at getting a couple mods done, Raptor heads are in the post and will be put on soon (huge shout out to Tim for being really, really helpful!)

I ended up getting in contact with Ed asking if he could tune my car, he got back in contact extremely fast and started work very quickly.

My current progress with the tune is:
- Did a drive with logging and a couple gear pulls
- Sent the logs to Ed around 830PM (I think early in the morning Ed's time)
- He got back to me a bit before midnight same day with version 0. Same day!
- I stuck version 0 of the ROM on the car (bit nervous to be honest, first time I've flashed a cars memory!)
- Did the whole reset and what not, and took the car for a spin.
- Repeat for version 1 and 2.

And man, does the car drive different! 1st and 2nd gear changes are pretty quick now!
As others have said, even with version 0, it very much is like a different car. I was pretty much blown away when I took the car for a spin at midnight to see the difference.

Feels a very quick car now, unbelievable that Subaru didn't make the 3.0 have a bit more power out of the factory!
My tune is still in progress, but really impressed by what I've seen so far!

EDIT: Up to revision 3 now - all in the space of less than 24 hours - awesome service!

SI DRIVE
Spent more time switching between SI drive modes, all three are quite usable now. Kinda what I said before, but I probably used to spend most of my time in S# mode as there wasn't a real need to use the others. Will definitely use the others now!

MORE TIME IN LOW RPM
I probably spend even more time in the lower RPM range now, around 2k I'd say.

ACCELERATION
Acceleration is good, love the twitchiness in S# mode. Feels like the car is a bit of a wild horse and wants to be respected type thing, but still worked hard.

ACCELERATION AT HIGHER SPEEDS/OVERTAKING
Acceleration to beyond 130km seems easier now and you don't have to floor it to get there.

0-100
Don't have a time for this, didn't bother recording it, but gets there fast. I probably more like the speed from say 30km to 90-100km. The car was fun before, but now it's huge fun. Coming into a corner is awesome.

FEEL OF GEARS
The gears feel like they all been brought forward a gear. Like 5th now seems like 4th. I still tend to work through the gears anyways when nanna style driving.

BRAKES
Obviously the brakes aren't affected by the tune, but they feel like they will most likely need to be upgraded at some point after this tune, they're suitable-ish now, but now I want the stopping power I had on my bike. There's not point having that extra power (sure feels like there is extra power!) if you can't control it properly.

SOUND
Engine does sound different, gruntier.

DOWNSIDES
At this point, don't really have any - running pretty awesome right now!
I'm pretty sure fuel consumption is better too, especially when you're around town at 50km/h and in 5th gear, I'm at like 6.5ish litres/100km. Haven't been able to fully test consumption at highway speeds yet, will try on Friday night.

I've been for one decent sized trip, I always liked driving the H6, but his definitely takes it to another level.

A huge thanks to Ed for his work and seemingly not ever sleeping!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7207&start=315#p402664
Daytona wrote:Just a quick update on this.
I've had the headers installed now, so setup is:

- Raptor headers
- 100 HF cats
- Start of y pipe
- One resonator in each branch of the Y pipe (Coby 10")
- Y pipe merges into one
- Stock resonator and stock catback

Waiting on the catback from Aussie at the moment (I'm based in NZ).

Once the headers were in, did more tuning with Ed and after two more versions, car is really flying. Acceleration is really different, I mode in SI Drive is actually usable and you can definitely tell the increase in power.

Totally recommend Ed.
When I get the super charger, will be going back to Ed.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: v3a
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:35:12 +1300
To: <west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com>

Morning Ed,

Just got back into work, did about 500km over the weekend and car feels really, really good.

Really smooth and you can definitely tell the performance increase. It's way easier to tell the difference on the weekend as I drive those roads quite often so am able to pinpoint the differences much easier.

Goes up hills whilst at 100km/h is much easier in I mode now, I don't have to shift down anymore or stick it in S# mode. I probably spend more time in I mode now on the highway as it's very usable now. Acceleration up hills is really, really good now - car is a rocket.

Sound wise it's much better as well.

Thanks a huge bunch for your help with tuning man, car is totally different!

Cheers

Update - 2015/05/03
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2015 4:20 PM
To: XRT
Subject: Quick update...

Morning Ed,

So had the car for about a 180km drive this morning, left Auckland at around 5am, got into Tauranga at about 8am. I think fuel consumption ended up being around 9.4/9.6l per 100km - that included some fun driving though. If I drove like a nanna the whole trip, I'd say it would have clocked in around 8.8. So pretty happy with that.

I think "I Drive" is even better, can really spend an entire trip in that mode now provided I don't do anything that needs great acceleration. Definitely caters for most normal driving now.

S# mode is really, really awesome. Car pulls away so easy now. Top end speed is effortless. I didn't get the car above 130km but she feels like she has lots in reserve. There was a little bit where I was going through a roundabout with two lines and a truck was on the outside lane, I was on the inside. The tail end of the truck/trailer was leaving the roundabout as I was about midway in and by the time I exited, put the car in S# mode and car pulled away and passed with no worries. I don't think I would have been able to do that stock.

Gear changes feel so much smoother throughout the range and no matter which mode.

So all up - very appreciated, love the update and the intake isn't even in yet!

Have a great rest of day man, thanks heaps again!

Cheers,
Tyron

Daytona wrote:http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=577
http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/vie ... 1759#p1759

Hey all,

This is my experience with dealing with XRT (I'm based in New Zealand with an ADM Subaru).

I bought my car around 2012 I think and for quite a while just ran the car stock and doing my own maintenance. When my stereo broke, I started researching how to get some JDM components do I could stick a dual din stereo in.

From then I started modifying my accessories more and more and then over time found out about Raptor superchargers.

I decided I would do the entire exhaust, so long story short I ended up with a brand new exhaust system, Raptor headers, high flow cats, catback - everything is new and 2.5" piping. Pretty much open all the way through except for the cats.

Whilst I was going through this exercise, I contacted Ed and he got back pretty quick from my initial email, basically asking if he could help me out with tuning. The price was very acceptable. Before I contacted Ed I worked out how to use flashing and logging tools which is pretty easy. If you're not too good with computers, I'm sure Ed will be able to step you through it.

Even on the very first update the car felt very different. Very responsive.

I think there were about 7 updates at this point and car was running really well.

Soon after that I got a Raptor intake as well and Ed was able to get my car running awesome on the intake very quickly. Right now I'm on version 11 and car is running great.

I probably spend a lot of time on the highway, so fuel consumption is important for me, the car is getting around 8.6ish at the moment when driving very conservatively. When having fun it goes a bit higher! When I was installing the mods and doing testing, the power increase was quite gradual for me, so I got used to each little bit of power here and there.

The wife then drove the car (so I could here what it sounds like) and she noticed a huge difference. She drove the car in stock form with no modifications and then drove it after all the modifications and tuning. She wanted to keep driving and loved the power increase - very noticable.

I've got no negative feedback or areas where I could suggest room for improvement. Even being quite a large amount of time apart, Ed always replied back to emails quickly and answered any questions and pointed some things out I should try.

Even if you have no mods at all, I would heavily recommend Ed just for the tuning, especially if you have a 3.0.

Hugely appreciated, has drastically changed how my car drives.

west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

MikeH - 2006 ADM Subaru Liberty 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm

west_minist

ColeJ - 2005 JDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm

west_minist

RonB - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:54 am

RonB - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Revisiting ROM V1's improvement, it totally unchained my 3.0 driving style. The throttle response became as quick as ever. As soon as i step on the gas the car wants to sprint. In terms of how my 5EAT operated, it shifted fast and aggressive. I love how it felt because the low end torque kept the car pulling no matter the transition. As i kept giving the car heavy throttle it started to learn to hold the gears in auto. I did notice that at the expense of this extra performance, the car burned noticeably more fuel. But i dont mind (Thats was a racing mode such as S# is for). On mild driving the car was still aggressive, i loved it. The gears changed quick and the car teased you to really give it all it has. In terms of the power, the low end torque was amazing and mid range power was hard.

ROM V2 - With this ROM, my subie took its time to learn how my driving style was. My 5EAT would shuffle the gears depending on what the throttle pressure was. In terms of power, when it was time for me to punch it, the car gallop as sustained. I found myself stepping on the throttle a little harder in auto to get that extra pull that i had felt with V1. The subie's torque was indeed there, but it wanted more pedal to push it. No doubt this version had better fuel economy, and good high end power.

ROM V3 - This was a very noticeable improvement coming from V2. The low end torque and throttle response in which i have received from from V1's versions came in just as hard and aggressive. The car learned my driving style quicker and the 5EAT shifted fast with mild throttle and heavy throttle. The 5EAT would hold the gears after 60% throttle to keep power. The difference in mid to high end power has been noted. Funny enough, fuel consumption seems to be better then V1. So more aggressive than V2, and better Fuel than V1.

Ed is doing an amazing job with my car. He is patient, observant, and tedious to how my car performs. Would recommend him to anyone in a second!

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... =656#p2023
RonH6 wrote:As the tuning continues, rom V4b did not dissappoint. The most noticeable change personally is the top end power compared to lower rom versions. The strip in which i do my pulls on, i find myself at the redline in 2nd quicker than before. The gears shift quick and smooth until i press the gas hard enough and the car starts to hold the gears in auto. The 5EAT is responding almost in regards to the way i want to drive off jump. Its impressive considering where we started. The throttle response is very sharp and i love it. Sometimes i do anticipate a harder pull when i floor it compared to lets say 65% throttle, but considering the N/A power linearity, it seems accurate. The fuel consumption has held pretty constant considering previous roms aswell. Idle is slightly lower then previous versions too.

Ed - making my car a fun monster! A ROM at a time :)

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... =656#p2026
RonH6 wrote:This update was an absolute charm! V6 with my CAI made my car actually break tires for a second @ 3700RPM~ pull!. The power delivery is near instant from when my foot is on the pedal. The torque hits the car hard and from 5000- to redline she pulls very hard. The 5EAT is trying to shift so fast that in auto, sometimes from 3rd it has to downshift back to second. The gears hold once i give it atleast 80% throttle. The fuel consumption got better even with me flooring it! ROM V6 works like a charm and compliments the CAI nicely! I love the highend POWAAA!!!

-Ed, can it get ANY better than this? I dont know :D. Ed the subaru guru.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 2050#p2050
RonH6 wrote:So i have got ROM V7b soley focused on bettering the 5EAT operations and responsiveness. And BOY!!! STAGE 3 makes a very very huge difference. In automatic the car shifts buttery smooth all the way to fifth - as FAST as possible in normal/cruising driving conditons. Before this upgrade, the car would hold back a TON of torque low end when i gave the car heavy throttle and launching speeds. That has been minimized substantially. When driving mildly aggressive, the 5eat holds the gears as long as you keep giving it the majority of throttle angle, then RAPIDLY shifts gears. With STAGE 3, you can feel that difference in shifting speeds. It just jumps from one gear to the next effortlessly. I have more control over my car with my foot in auto. It is easier to estimate how the car will accelerate when i press the gas for an overtake. Before the car would stutter on quick boosts off throttle, now it utilizes the gas rather than voiding it, and puts the power to the ground quicker than before. In manual mode, its a complete dream! I can brake-launch the car around 2000rpm and she flys! No more stuttering/ trying to hold back the power. STAGE 3 is a must if you want the best out of your 5eat experience. Let alone power to floor!

ED - THE GURU :)
Last edited by west_minist on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
west_minist

Re: 3.0R Customer Satisfaction

Postby nixwrx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:11 am

Just posting my feedback on the experience that I've have with Edward to date.

Since I've chosen to go with remote tuning for the moment (versus a local tuner w/dyno), I was keen on some intensive one-on-one logging, updating ROM, re-logging, etc. iterative tuning process.

LOL as they say, never fear, Edward is here. Through review of logs Edward helped me diagnose a leak in the right-hand header which in turn led to a few other (smallish) mechanical fixes. Anyway once things were sorted the ROMs just kept on coming after logging over and over again, and where I'm at for the moment is a safe, strong tune that brings in the torque nice and early and builds up the power in a strong, smooth, linear manner.

While this might sound simple and straighforward in reality this has involved countless emails between Edward and myself accompanied by how many logs??? All the while Edward's supportiveness and responsiveness have been huge enablers for getting the car to where it's at today.

We're now working through an injector upgrade in prep for an E85 tune. Can't wait to see what we can achieve.

Thanks Edward and try to get some more sleep mate!
nixwrx

Car: 2005 3.0RB (sedan)

SergeyK - 2004 EDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:55 am

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=674
Sent: Sunday, 14 August 2016 10:29
To: Edward Millington <west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com>
Subject: Re: XRT Review

Here you go:

Ed was very helpful and responsive to all my questions, needs and quirks. I am not the regular client because of my suspicious nature and because of all my wishes to make all things by myself
Actually i was very ...hm, active and demanded in the process of tune development, so i think that he is very patient man :D
About the tune - the car's TCU seem to have some kind of Torque converter software bug, so the full potential of the tune is still waiting for resolution of this TCU problem, but i'm sure that resolution will unleash all the tune's positives.
With the last version the car is more responsive, have a good amount of low rpm range torque, gear changes are smooth all the way up to last gear, no matter what is the load, vehicle or engine speed.

Thank you, Edward, for letting me using you as a teacher in ECU tuning, for answering of all my stupid questions and at least, but not last - for the result, which is almost what i was expecting (damn you, TCU).
west_minist

AlexK - 2004 EDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:45 am

http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/vie ... f=40&t=675
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 11:14 AM
To: west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com
Subject: Re: v5a

l'd like to write a short review for the tuning process done by XRT. Edward is very helpful and kind walking me through the tuning process. He is on duty almost 24 hours and that is not exaggerated, I don't know when he sleeps. The time difference between my country and Barbados is seven hours, but Ed replies even in the middle of the night as I calculated. He resolved some of the minor pre-tune problems that the car had like leak from the air box (very common problem in these models by the way check it if you are planning a tune), AVICS solenoid malfunction and so on. This is the time to say that if you are panning to do a tune be prepared to change some things that Ed will diagnose for sure. That is a collateral damage to your wallet but it is an absolute must for good results.
About the tune: As you all probably felt the same way I was nervous when I reset the OEM ECU for the first time and installed the v1. But since that the satisfaction of driving my Scuby is tremendous. The shifting is better and with a good torque from the low RPM to the rev limit. The shifting is faster and you feel the extra power, although I added headers to my tune project and it is even better since than. The thinking before changing to lower gear of the old gear box is now a thing of the past. You have no problems to overpass and you feel much more confident.
Overall very satisfied with the tune, will recommend Ed to anyone that wants a proper Subaru tune and extraction a few horsepower from this wonderful engine.
Thank you Ed
west_minist

Re: 3.0R Customer Satisfaction

Postby nixwrx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49 am

nixwrx wrote:Just posting my feedback on the experience that I've have with Edward to date.

Since I've chosen to go with remote tuning for the moment (versus a local tuner w/dyno), I was keen on some intensive one-on-one logging, updating ROM, re-logging, etc. iterative tuning process.

LOL as they say, never fear, Edward is here. Through review of logs Edward helped me diagnose a leak in the right-hand header which in turn led to a few other (smallish) mechanical fixes. Anyway once things were sorted the ROMs just kept on coming after logging over and over again, and where I'm at for the moment is a safe, strong tune that brings in the torque nice and early and builds up the power in a strong, smooth, linear manner.

While this might sound simple and straighforward in reality this has involved countless emails between Edward and myself accompanied by how many logs??? All the while Edward's supportiveness and responsiveness have been huge enablers for getting the car to where it's at today.

We're now working through an injector upgrade in prep for an E85 tune. Can't wait to see what we can achieve.

Thanks Edward and try to get some more sleep mate!

Just some follow-up to the above, Edward continued to review logs and sent through more and more incremental changes to try out with new ROMs. Somehow Edward managed to squeeze out even more drivability and responsiveness with the updated ROMs, in terms of throttle input behaving fantastically (crisp, immediate). Since I spend about 90% of my time beneath 4,000RPM this is the critical performance area for me (versus outright power and torque), and Edward responded to my feedback and delivered. Thanks again!
nixwrx

Car: 2005 3.0RB (sedan)

ChrisoffE - 2005 EDM Subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0R 6MT

Postby west_minist » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:26 am

Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: v3

And you were right, pulls harder every were in the rev band, but most noticeable is the high end that wasn't there before. It's starting to pull harder after 6000rpm lol.
The low end is also a lot better. Didn't have any before and now I don't have to drop a gear to overtake and such.
And it also seems like I have gotten a different sound 3000rpm and down almost like a mix between EJ and VQ like XD.

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Review needed

Review tuning so far (V3):

Decided to get a tune from XRT due to the overwhelmingly positive responses that i have read on forums and such.
And i couldn't agree more, the knowledge and patience that Ed have is astonishing, I love that i can ask any remotely tuning related question no matter what time on the day and get the answer I'm looking for within minutes.
Tuning started slow due to having problems logging, but it got solved by letting Ed configure RomRaider over teamviewer.
Even at V0 The car felt better than stock due to removal of throttle lag, at V1 Ed discovered that both my AFR sensors didn't work fully, my AVCS solenoids were malfunctioning and that my EGR valve were stuck open, all this without having a check engine light!
V2 was made so i could run it safe until i could fix the broken stuff.
V3 was a big one, it made everything better. got low and top end that was non existent stock and a beefier mid range.
I wanted to stay stock and "just" get a tune but here I am browsing go faster stuff while writing this.
west_minist

Previous

Return to Xtreme Racing Tuning