Tuning the 3.0R - Xtreme Racing Tuning

Tuning the 3.0R - Xtreme Racing Tuning

Postby west_minist » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:36 pm

The Legacy 3R is an interesting car to say the least. But as an NA car and I have found out, these cars are already tune close to max from factory, but because of the fuel requirements, there work very unstable and the DBW lack a lot to be desire.

The tuning of the Legacy 3R involves the following:
  1. DBW changes - Enhance driveability and response
  2. AVCS enhancements - Increase low to midrange torque
  3. Fuel
  4. Ign
  5. CL/OP changes
  6. Other minor changes
XRT offers remote tuning. Once you have a laptop and the Tactrix cable, Tuning can last for a few days to weeks based on your time. Please remember all cars are custom Tuned.

Please contact me for tuning cost

For further queries, please pm or email me at west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com

Additional information
viewforum.php?f=53
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7207
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 07429c8d79
Last edited by west_minist on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 23 times in total.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Re: Tuning the 3.0R - Xtreme Racing Tuning

Postby west_minist » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 pm

We are at v11 due to refinement on the gas. We trying again tuning the AVCS in other areas, but no improvement, but the Dyno's still looks very good, but are currently for 22-23.5C.

Good thing about the 3R, we have improve engine performance, making the engine responsive. Power increases is more noticeable in driving than gear pulls, which was what the aim was, after seeing that the car is already running max. Do I hear 5-8psi????? lol

I can only imaging how the car feel, as I driving a JDM and love how it feels and sound. The Sound along on a 6MT.....Too sweet for days. I had more fun driving a 3R than a 350wftlb/350whp 2004 STI. So that goes to show you. You may not have the power, but the joy in driving and comfortable is even greater!!!!!

west_minist

Postby west_minist » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:49 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... rt=10#p871
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7207&start=15#p106598
BlackFlatSix05 wrote:Never fear, Edward is here. I seriously wouldn’t be too concerned that the Vin Tune is no more.

I have been working with Edward Millington aka west_minist for about a week now on creating a safe performance enhancing tune for my MY05 3.0RB 6MT. I was in contact with Edward months ago and he seemed very keen back then to get his hands on a H6 rom when the definitions became available on Romraider.

To begin with I emailed Edward my standard rom along with a collection of logs which consisted of normal driving around town including a steep climb up Bulli Pass. I then continue to log giving him a good example of cruising at 100kph to 110kph. Nothing illegal of course.

Then on level road surface I perform a series of 3rd and 4th gear pulls at WOT from about 2000rpm to 7000rpm. I perform these logs in both directions as requested by Edward.

Once I have collected all the data I then email the logs to Edward.

It doesn’t seem to matter when I email Edward he either emails me immediately or shortly after from his home or from his Blackberry. The guy must never sleep.

I also speak to Edward in Barbados via Skype. Very handy indeed.

Edward then analyses what I have sent and makes changes to the rom accordingly to remove knock etc and emails me back the new rom which I then flash onto my car’s ecu and begin the logging process again.

So far we have sorted the DBW maps and worked extensively on eliminating knock from the rom and have stabilized the IAM which previously was all over the place. Subaru tuning leaves a lot to be desired believe me.

So far without even touching AVCS or adding any timing the car feels great. Very smooth power delivery and the jerky power band that use to kick in has gone replaced by linear acceleration.

Edward is very knowledgeable and knows his way around a Subaru’s ecu. He has tuned many Wrx’s and GT Liberty’s. He has software that enables him to see dashboard on his PC that once the data I send him is loaded it’s as if he’s driving the car. Very cool indeed. I’ve seen a screen shot of it.

I look forward to flashing Version 5 on tomorrow and continuing to work with Edward in developing a tune to unleash the beast within the H6.

David.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... rt=20#p881
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7207&start=30#p107316
BlackFlatSix05 wrote:The tuning process is almost complete. We began with Edward’s test or finding rom V0 and we are up to V9 however some of the versions were numbered V1a, V1b, V1c etc so many hours of data collection and too many logs of cruise and pulls in all gears from 1st to 6th have been done as well as many kilometers and tanks of BP Ultimate.

Some unseasonably cold weather and now hot weather have made the results somewhat difficult to determine but I have to say that the results are superb.

We started with a car that was constantly trying to find a happy medium by pulling timing due to knock/pinging and an IAM which was all over the place not to mention what can only be described as an uninspiring dead or lazy throttle response.

What Edward has done is made the car come alive the way it should have been when it left the factory. He has tuned the car to suit our fuel and our atmospheric conditions which has transformed the car into something much more acceptable to someone who enjoys driving a drivers car.

The changes to the DBW maps gives the car much quicker and crisper response to light throttle application and the power delivery is more linear just like a cable operated throttle. You actually get in acceleration what input you give the pedal and you don’t need much of it to make it all happen with no delay.

I did ask Edward to make the DBW more aggressive which he did and I like it. Even from his first touch of the rom it was better. He made it like that from the beginning to make it constant for tuning purposes and he told me he would make it more aggressive for me once the tuning was finished which he did.

I still need to provide Edward some logs of rom V9 which I hope to do in the next few days but I’m really happy with how the car is performing so what ever tweaks need to be done now will only be very minor.

If you own a H6 then get yourself a Tactix cable and PM Edward. I’m sure he will help you with a competitively priced tune and you will benefit from the work I have done with him. I was in communication with another well known internet tuner who I was going to use however he had not tuned a H6 either so had no data or base roms to start with. Edward has all the data from my car so it should all happen quickly and smoothly.

Own a H6 ? Do it now.

David.

parso_rex wrote:I think West_Minist's services should definitely be considered as an option if you're thinking of improving your Libertys performance. I know from following the various forums over the years he has been in the industry a long time and certainly knows what he's doing. The big bonus I see is that you get to play a part in the tuning process and hopefully develop a clearer picture of whats involved and maybe even learn something. It is quite interesting.
Certainly is a definite for those in cities not serviced by the regular tuners all you would need is access to an openport cable and laptop.

and no I have no ties with west_minist before anyone goes all conspiracy theory LOL :lol:
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Xtreme Racing Tuning Log review playback of a 2005 ADM Subaru Legacy_Liberty 3.0R 6MT
west_minist

2006 ADM Liberty 3.0R 6MT Stock performance

Postby west_minist » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=351

2006 ADM Liberty 3.0R 6MT Stock performance

Customer review:
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... p=894#p894
06 blitzen wrote:poor edward should have charged me more for his services, im a bit of a nuffy when it comes to all these sort of things, but his service and patience is to be commended.

will keep you updated
Last edited by west_minist on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
west_minist

06 Blitzen v2 Stats

Postby west_minist » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 pm

west_minist

Customers Feedback

Postby west_minist » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 pm

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7684

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7207&start=90#p111933
BlackFlatSix05 wrote:Tuning is now complete for my car.

All I can say is I am more than happy with the service Edward has provided. The final rom was V13. To arrive at this there were many versions. I have 29 saved however, there may have been more that I didn't bother to save.

Many hours of flashing and way too many logs of the various versions/revisions of the roms have been completed to arrive at what we have now.

What was learned along the way is these cars are no where near their full potential from the factory and suffer from fuel pick up problems below half a tank and also spark plugs could do with a change at 50,000km not 100,000 as recommended by Subaru.

I now have zero knock/pinging in my logs and the IAM is constant now at 1 so there is no timing being constantly pulled by the ecu and the car is running at it's absolute best for our fuel and atmospheric conditions.

Compared to how it was before Edward's efforts it is ballistic for a stock 05 3.0RB. It's not like my old WRX but a hell of a lot better than before.

For my last rom Edward tweaked the DBW a little more which has made the car more lively and fun to drive. Edward could tell from the logs that I heal and toe. The DBW changes have made this easier as the throttle responds to slight applications.

I must also thank Tommyspecb for lending me his laptop and Tactrix cable. Without that all this R & D would not have been possible. I will be assisting Tommy with his tune when he is good and ready.

Edward is a top bloke and I hope that this R & D helps him in his business.

For those of you who don't know Edward is about to become a Dad for the first time. Good luck with that Edward. I know you hardly sleep now.

I know I've said this before but honestly if you own a 3.0 H6 Liberty/Legacy and want to get the best out of it then get in contact with Edward and get it tuned. As the mule/guinea pig all the hard work has been done so your tune should be over and done with in no time at all.

Cheers,
David.
west_minist

Return to Xtreme Racing Tuning