An Engineer's story

Funny stuff. Nothing too obscene please...

An Engineer's story

Postby Ric » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 pm

A toothpaste factory had a problem: they sometimes shipped empty boxes, without the tube inside. This was due to the way the production line was set up, and people with experience in designing production lines will tell you how difficult it is to have everything happen with timings so precise that every single unit coming out of it is perfect 100% of the time. Small variations in the environment (which can’t be controlled in a cost-effective fashion) mean you must have quality assurance checks smartly distributed across the line so that customers all the way down to the supermarket don’t get hacked off and buy another product instead.

Understanding how important that was, the CEO of the toothpaste factory got the top people in the company together and they decided to start a new project, in which they would hire an external engineering company to solve their empty boxes problem, as their engineering department was already too stretched to take on any extra effort.

The project followed the usual process: budget and project sponsor allocated, RFP, third-parties selected, and six months (and $8 million) later they had a fantastic solution — on time, on budget, high quality and everyone in the project had a great time. They solved the problem by using high-tech precision scales that would sound a bell and flash lights whenever a toothpaste box would weigh less than it should. The line would stop, and someone had to walk over and yank the defective box out of it, pressing another button when done to re-start the line.

A while later, the CEO decides to have a look at the ROI of the project: amazing results! No empty boxes ever shipped out of the factory after the scales were put in place. Very few customer complaints, and they were gaining market share. “That’s some money well spent!” – he says, before looking closely at the other statistics in the report.

It turns out, the number of defects picked up by the scales was 0 after three weeks of production use. It should’ve been picking up at least a dozen a day, so maybe there was something wrong with the report. He filed a bug against it, and after some investigation, the engineers come back saying the report was actually correct. The scales really weren't picking up any defects, because all boxes that got to that point in the conveyor belt were good.

Puzzled, the CEO travels down to the factory, and walks up to the part of the line where the precision scales were installed.

A few feet before the scale, there was a $20 desk fan, blowing the empty boxes out of the belt and into a bin.

“Oh, that,” says one of the workers — “one of the guys put it there ’cause he was tired of walking over every time the bell rang”.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Re: An Engineer's story

Postby conkyd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 am

hilarious.
conkyd

Car: MY07 Spec B 3.0 Wagon

Postby mincedmeat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:38 am

just sent it to my process engineer brother, he might learn a thing or two. :lol:
mincedmeat

Car: 04 2.5i sedan

Postby Gripped » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:57 pm

roflmao
Gripped

Car: R32 4 Door Skyline
Profile URL: http://instagram.com/cosmocow

Postby XT_for_me » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:01 pm

it would be pretty hilarious if it wasn't reeking of truth!
Stopping is not optional!

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits, Coilover Suspension, Tunes, Turbo rebuilds, and Kamak Turbos
Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Car: Subaru Forester MY09 XT

Postby Dropz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Haha! I like it.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby bucksanders » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 am

i am also an Engineer bro still it is gd story
bucksanders

Car: KJ

Postby Smithyy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:39 am

haha what a good idea! .....$8 million later :x
2007 GT Spec-B Sedan
Smithyy
-stickered-

Car: 2007 GT Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14961

Postby The Sean » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby senator » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm

This story is no different to NASA spending millions to develop the space pen, which could be used upside down in zero G’s………. they then offered the technology to the Russian who kindly rejected it and said our pencils work fine.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby timmo3193 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:42 pm

I am currently studying to become an engineer at the moment...
might need to look into that after reading this hahaha
+ Spec-B Wagon. Black. 6mt. 15% Tint (5 on the boot). HID's. LED Tailights. 18" Advanti Almera's
+ Pixjnr's Fuel Pump Kit. King Springs. Raptor Headers and Cat-back Exhaust. Slotted DBA's. | Coming: BC BR's & E85 tune by Matt
+ Hertz MLK-165's, Sony Double DIN, N7 install, and Twin 12" Fusion Subs - Floor Mounted. All amped and Dynamated
timmo3193

Car: 3.0RB

Return to Humour