[split from] VIC Cruise. Aug-8.

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

[split from] VIC Cruise. Aug-8.

Postby Kekotic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Ric the Traffic light, is that a double lane?
Wouldn't mind watching a drag between a couple of people! Evenly matched cars of course.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: VIC Cruise. Aug-8. Mill Park-Kinglake-Healesville

Postby Ric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:03 pm

No, single lane each way there. Much too urban also.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Sentinel » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:47 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Ric the Traffic light, is that a double lane?
Wouldn't mind watching a drag between a couple of people! Evenly matched cars of course.

Kieran,

Party pooper time... As fun as it might seem, we don't condone drags, not on cruises, not anywhere.

Yes, the drive can be spirited, pending on drivers capabilities and comfort levels. But, under no circumstances do we encourage people to break the law.

Remember, some members with their family might wish to join us, read these posts and then decide not to attend. Whilst I understand that some people will drive hard (and a fair few of us do), others may want to simply cruise for the day and support the cause for the fire effected families.

Let's keep the cruise open to all and have a great day eh?

< End of good cop stuff >
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Fair enough, although when I say a drag I pretty much just mean a standing start up until the speed limit, I don't do the whole racing thing.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Up to the speed limit only is still dragging but most people I know call it pussy drags.

Well said Steve.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Kekotic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Well I don't have any speeding tickets and I want to keep it that way, if I get one now I will have to say goodbye to getting in to the police force...
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Ric,

Good job on the cruise notes and map.

Steve, well said and well supported. If we want to test our real capabilities/driving skills and explore the limits of our own vehicles, then we can take it to one of the many advanced driving courses or track days (Sandown hosts them frequently).

Damn, this cruise is still two weeks away! Looking forward to the catch-up and meet the new faces. :)
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby Kekotic » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:22 pm

MH3.0R wrote:Steve, well said and well supported. If we want to test our real capabilities/driving skills and explore the limits of our own vehicles, then we can take it to one of the many advanced driving courses or track days (Sandown hosts them frequently).

I am very keen on doing this maybe once or twice to get to know what my car is capable of, when I was talking to Andrew he said I should take it to a skidpan day. Do I need to apply for some sort of extra license to do this, Andrew mentioned something vaguely about a license for track driving. Also how does insurance work, with me being 21 would I be allowed to do it, I'm just after the skidpan thing and not any actual racing, also do you have to notify your own insurance company about it? I know absolutely nothing about track driving so forgive me for asking so many questions.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 pm

It depends on the skidpan/track day you sign up for. If it is a training course then generally you do not need a license. If it is a CAMS or AASA affiliated event then you will need the appropriate license.

In both cases you will likely not have any insurance cover when you are on on the track unless it is a defensive/advanced driver training course and you have an instructor with you at all times. I.e. If it is a high performance driving or race/timed event then you are not covered. Best to check with your insurer most are different with their rules on training courses, but none of them will cover for race/timed events.

Best to check the event organiser to see what type of event it is, then check with your insurer.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby MH3.0R » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:I am very keen on doing this maybe once or twice to get to know what my car is capable of, when I was talking to Andrew he said I should take it to a skidpan day. Do I need to apply for some sort of extra license to do this, Andrew mentioned something vaguely about a license for track driving. Also how does insurance work, with me being 21 would I be allowed to do it, I'm just after the skidpan thing and not any actual racing, also do you have to notify your own insurance company about it? I know absolutely nothing about track driving so forgive me for asking so many questions.

Kieran,

The Sandown events run by Driver Dynamics (an Advanced Driving School) requires no additional licence or insurance. You are driving your own vehicle under the instruction of a qualified advanced driving instructor. Check out the link at:

http://www.driverdynamics.com/

They hold regular events and you pay per event.
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 pm

FYI with Driver Dynamics events, since they do not require a license they provide no personal liability insurance and ask that you organise your own. I.e. if you damage the track or facilities then you have to pay for the damage yourself. With CAMS/AASA events you typically are given personal liability insurance as part of the entry fee since the event organisers pay the premium on behalf of all attendees.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby MH3.0R » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 pm

I guess we are guilty of Off Topic discussions here. We should take this to the Motorsport section. My apologies to the purists! :|
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm

teK-- wrote:... With CAMS/AASA events you typically are given personal liability insurance as part of the entry fee since the event organisers pay the premium on behalf of all attendees.

Note, this ONLY covers personal injury.
It does NOT cover damage to your car, or to the track facilities.
If you hit the Armco at Sandown, rest assured, you will receive a bill from Sandown for fixing it!
Ric
Site Admin

Re: [split from] VIC Cruise. Aug-8.

Postby Kekotic » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:35 pm

The Driver Dynamics Skidpan looks good, has anyone done it before?
There is a 4 hour and 8 hour session, just wondering which one would be better.

And how would it go taking an AWD car on a skidpan?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Re: [split from] VIC Cruise. Aug-8.

Postby Ric » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm

AWD can skid just as easily as 2WD when you're braking :)
It can also be trickier when you floor it, and all 4 wheel lose traction rather than just two ;)

I haven't actually pushed my Liberty on a concrete skidpan, but I've done some handbrake turns doing a motorkhana on asphalt, and had massive understeer doing another motorkhana on muddy grass.
Ric
Site Admin

Next

Return to Racing / Motorsport