Sandown Aug-29

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Sandown Aug-29

Postby Ric » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am

The MG Car Club are running a sprint at Sandown Raceway on Sunday Aug-29
Entry is $130, and you'd get at least 4 runs of 4.5 laps (You get 3 lap times for each run, with a 3/4 lap warmup and cooldown)
Entries open next week. You need a CAMS "L2S" licence to run.

http://www.mgcc.com.au/competition/index.shtml

You can see we had several "invited" cars running at the same event last year, down the bottom of: http://www.mgcc.com.au/competition/09comp09-laps.shtml
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Re: Sandown Aug-29

Postby teK-- » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Sandown is awesome. I found with street tyres though 2 to 2.5 hot laps and it's all over. This was before the brakes started fading either. Next time I'll get better tyres or run lower pressure.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby 3rspecb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Jim,
Thought about upgrading your front brakes to OE GT/3RB?

From memory your 2.5i has 277mm front rotors and the GT/3RB has 316mm, 39mm increase plus your car weighs less then a GT/3RB and no need to change wheels either.

With upgraded Front & Rear pads I can do 20mn sessions at sandown with brake fade right at the end..
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby teK-- » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Yep I thought about it, but it's not worthwhile at this stage since my preference is to continue doing auto-x events rather than (high speed) tracks like Sandown.

In saying that, I was running 600F fluid and 780/550F pads on F/R, and the brakes did a competent job of pulling up even after the main straight. The tyres were the limiting factor and were very squirmy by the end of the second hot lap. At that point the brake pedal wasn't too long but still reasonable. I found it manageable to do one warm lap, hot lap, cooldown lap, hot lap, cooldown etc.

If I was going to upgrade I'd probably go for the Stoptech 4 pot front and 2 pot rear kit as Brembo wheels aren't needed. At this time the issue is money I have other priorities :)
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 am

Entries for this close next wednesday.
I'm going to be flat out getting my MGA ready for it. The engine gearbox and brakes are out of it right now.
Will be working on the clutch and brakes all this Saturday.
I'd like to strip down the gearbox too to find out why it often jumps out of third gear when you back off. May have to consider missing this event just so we have time to do it, as it's a real pain to get the gearbox in and out of the car.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby teK-- » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I dislike the feeling of having to rush mechanical or upgrade works just prior to an event! Hope it all goes well Ric :D
teK--
-stickered-

Return to Racing / Motorsport