Rob Roy Hillclimb - Sunday Nov-15

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Rob Roy Hillclimb - Sunday Nov-15

Postby Ric » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:12 pm

This is a quick report of how I went today, will fill in more details later.

In short, in the MGA I came second in the MGA class (someone else showed up with a very quick MGA), and in the Liberty I came first in class in the "Non-MG" class.
My aim was to do it in 26 seconds in the Liberty, and I managed 26.07s. That was the 4th fastest tim eoutright for any MG club member.
(One Geelong member showed up in a WRX STI and beat everyone, but he doesn't count! ;))

Full results are at: http://www.mgcc.com.au/competition/09comp11.shtml

I was using the ECUdatascan to do full logging, so will have some interesting graphs to present soon. Here's a sample:

Graph of RPM, Speed, and Accelerator angle
run4.gif
run4.gif (50.74 KiB) Viewed 7661 times

Google Earth trace. Height of the wall represents speed. You can see me slowly driving back along the return road also.

run4-ge1.jpg
run4-ge1.jpg (180.1 KiB) Viewed 7659 times

run4-ge2.jpg
run4-ge2.jpg (104.64 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Re: Rob Roy Hillclimb - Sunday Nov-15

Postby teK-- » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 am

Nice datalogging there Ric!

Am I correct in reading that you are regularly at WOT on this track, and that the track is not a loop but rather a single run that requires the return road to get back to the start for next run?
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 pm

teK-- wrote:Am I correct in reading that you are regularly at WOT on this track,

Yes. Ideally you would be at WOT from start to finish, but the desire to stay on the track sometimes over-rides this! ;)

and that the track is not a loop but rather a single run that requires the return road to get back to the start for next run?

Yes. It is literally a "hill climb" where you drive up a hill.
After the finish, you come half-way back along a dirt track, then you have to drive backwards along a short section of the track to get across the dam wall. There is an official there to hold you until the next competitor does their run, and regorous radio checks to make sure they don't send the next car until the track is clear.
You then park the car, and wait until it's your turn again, which is often about an hour.
Ric
Site Admin

Postby teK-- » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Damn, 1 hour wait inbetween runs and it's only a sub 30sec run! I'm not sure if I'd have the patience for that hehe.
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:33 pm

I was competing in two cars, so halve that. ;)

This was my first run with a new diff ratio in the MG. I changed it from 4.3:1 to 3.9:1 earlier this year.
I thought dropping the revs would hurt my hillclimb times, but I went a second quicker than I ever have before!
Ric
Site Admin

Postby Ric » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 pm

Here are the logs from all four runs. I've tried to guess when the timing would have started, and what gear I was in at each point.

Run 1 - 29.89 seconds - accidentally shifted from 2nd to 5th

run1a.gif
run1a.gif (29.15 KiB) Viewed 7629 times

Run 2 - 26.38 seconds

run2a.gif
run2a.gif (27.24 KiB) Viewed 7629 times

Run 3 - 26.92 seconds

run3a.gif
run3a.gif (27.16 KiB) Viewed 7629 times

Run 4 - 26.07 seconds (fastest)

run4a.gif
run4a.gif (26.43 KiB) Viewed 7629 times

Things I've worked out from examining the data....
  • In all four runs, I hit the steep section ("The Wall") at about 14.5 seconds, and it's a bit faster every time (105, 110, 115, 120 km/h)
  • Apart from the awful first run, I crossed the finish line doing 120 in runs 2, 3 and 4. I'm guessing that I had to back off for slightly longer because it was a bit harder to control the car over the top at the higher speed.
  • In runs 2, 3 and 4, I appear to lose speed between 1 and 2 seconds after starting. I think I was actually spinning one or more wheels, and when they stop spinning, the speed appears to drop. I certainly wasn't aware that any wheels had lost traction. A video of my launches would be very useful to check. ;)
  • In the fastest run (#4) I got into 3rd gear much earlier than the other runs.
  • In runs 2 and 4, after I back off at the finish, my speed appears to have multiple spikes downward. This will be the tyres momentarily locking up, then the ABS kicking in, as I was braking very hard.
  • I don't know why there is a quick spike upward in my speed about 2 seconds before the finish in all of the last three runs. There is a slight left bend about there on the track, but I'm sure I didn't spin the wheels at that point, certainly not three times.

What can I do to improve my times?
[1] Try to drive around the first corner faster. You can see me back off at the 7 second mark every time. I'm hitting a right hand bend at about 80 km/h, and backing off to avoid sliding off.
Trying to improve my line, or playing with tyre pressures may help here.

[2] Change from 2nd to 3rd earlier, but it must be after I've hit that first corner. I must not back off the power before I have to.

[3] Try not to get back onto power ASAP after hitting The Wall. It's a blind left bend here, so difficult to get your line right, and the car wants to slide sideways as the weight comes off the tyres as you come over the top.
Ric
Site Admin

Postby MH3.0R » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Well done Ric. The Liberty is right up there where it rightfully belongs. Now you will have to improve to maintain the roost!!!

I might have to join the MG Car Club, just to see what my 3.0R 5AT can do. Maybe next year! How often do they run the Rob Roy Hill Climb?

Kind Regards,

Mark.
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby teK-- » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Hey Ric have you got an in car camera setup? I imagine that it would make analysing the datalogging much easier as well.

Lol at the 2>5; was that just coming out of the corner? I find that with my body lean in fast corners I have to be real careful not to mis-shift.

My N97 phone does great video (focus is infinity) and I just ordered a suction mount for it so I can mount it to the inside of the sunroof for an in-car setup. Sure beats paying $400+ for a digital video setup :D
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:41 pm

MH3.0R wrote:I might have to join the MG Car Club, just to see what my 3.0R 5AT can do. Maybe next year! How often do they run the Rob Roy Hill Climb?

There's at least one of our "club competition" events up there each year.
There are also two or three other events which anyone with a CAMS license can enter, e.g. there were two "club challenge" events up there this year. adhar competed in the first one, and I did in the second one.
Ric
Site Admin

Postby Ric » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:44 pm

teK-- wrote:Hey Ric have you got an in car camera setup? I imagine that it would make analysing the datalogging much easier as well.

I do in the MG, but not in the Liberty yet.
Anything weiging over 200g has to be securely mounted to be allowed by the safety scrutineers. With the batteries installed, my Canon camera weighs about 250g.

Lol at the 2>5; was that just coming out of the corner?

Yes. :(
Ric
Site Admin

Postby teK-- » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Ric wrote:I do in the MG, but not in the Liberty yet.
Anything weiging over 200g has to be securely mounted to be allowed by the safety scrutineers. With the batteries installed, my Canon camera weighs about 250g.

For my first event I think I was much stricter than I thought the scrutineers to be! I took out absolutely everything from the car but then when we parked again before the first events of the day, I noticed many people had things like sunglasses, bottles of water, handheld CB radios etc back in the car again.

I suppose in the end it's really about personal safety and it may seem ace to "cheat" the scrutineering, but it's not that funny when you cop something in the face when it becomes dislodged at high speed :P
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:10 pm

This little camera for about $99 only weighs 78g, and looks quite interesting.

http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Otek_DVS ... E0006.aspx

Image Image
Ric
Site Admin

Postby teK-- » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Looks nice but not sure if it has a threaded fitting to fit onto a suction mount?
teK--
-stickered-

Postby adhar » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:35 pm

That data logging is really impressive Ric. Me likey :D
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Return to Racing / Motorsport