Helmets

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Helmets

Postby teK-- » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:35 am

There was some discussion about this in one of the other threads however now that we have a dedicated MS section perhaps there should be a thread on this.

I would prefer an open face helmet purely for the ventilation factor and also to improve peripheral vision in the cabin.

My price range however is around $200 to $250 but I cannot find any open face helmets in this range that don't look ugly as hell! I am almost resigned to accepting that I will have to buy a full face helmet in which case the following one looks appealing and has good features (removable/replacement lining and pads):

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/in ... imary&CDO=

I would have thought open face helmets would be more readily available in this price range since they should be cheaper to make, but doesn't seem so so far! Does anyone else know of any particular outlets or makes/models I should be looking for? Thanks!
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Re: Helmets

Postby 3rspecb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47 am

looks good and fits in your budget. You can take off the visor if you need more ventilation.

I use a tinted visor on my helmet and just leave it slightly open for better ventilation. I prefer the tinted visor over sunglasses and clear visor.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby Adrian2627 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Contact a local motorcycle shop and ask about TRIALS helmets. They are open face and meet Australian Standards for motorised use.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Posseltperformance » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:04 am

Hey,

I never compromise on safety for racing use. I race Karts with an arai helmet - $750. I personally would only go Bell or Arai. They are a lot lighter and have had a lot more R&D go into them. You could try to find the helmet that james courtney/ Stone brothers use, Looks like the best semi open face helmet you could get. Or look into rally helmets but because they are headphone/mic equipped you'll pay for them.

You won't notice the difference in ventilation if you've got the visor up either - or you can just take the visor off completely.

revolution is who I use for my safety gear - great brand/shop (lots of V8 teams also use them.)
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Car: 2006 Liberty Wagon 3.0RB

Postby teK-- » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Ryan I second your motion for safety however like anything to do with cars I weight up the cost benefits, and I have a feeling I won't be using the helmet as much as you do ;). I've settled on getting a full face because then I can also use it for go karting and get more use out of it. I understand some karting tracks will not allow open faced helmets.

Going into Revolution later today to have a look and fit, will let you all know how it goes!
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:38 pm

I checked out Revolution and ended up buying the black RJays helmet in my original post.

Based on the quality of finish it is very good value for $235.00, and for my Asian head I found it to be a pretty good fit :) Notably the liner and cheekpads are removable and can be hand washed which is a +1 because I dread having to use a helmet on hot days and then not being able to wash the sweaty fabric before the next wear.

The tinted visor was $40.00 however I'll see how I go with the clear for now.

This is a motorcycle helmet however it does have the AS1698 approval sticker. I was advised that this satisfies any motorsports event aside from "race" events (where you actually line up on a grid and race bumper to bumper with other cars). Checking the supplementary regs for the event I want to participate in, this is indeed correct. The regs did not require specifically a motorsports helmet.

If I needed the latter, I would have purchased the following: http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/in ... imary&CDO= which is over double the price, but also looks nice and would be a good investment.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Posseltperformance » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:23 am

Nice one :) it might be worth investing $20 in a balaclava. Keeps any stray hairs out of your eyes (although it would appear you have shortish hair) but also great for absorbing sweat and keeping your helmet like new - I have found washing cheek pads (even if designed to) makes them deform and decreases the life of the helmet.

Anyway thats just what I do and my opinion :)

You may not need a tinted visor as it should be ok to where sunglasses under the helmet for motorkhanas. $40 is cheap for a visor i paid $120 and the iridium coated ones (mirror finish) are up near $200 for Arai.

Goodluck Tek
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Postby Posseltperformance » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 am

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/index.php?PCID=10365&PSO=245&PSID=5620__5700&PSV=Primary&CDO=

Here's Mine - more expensive than I remember :) wicked helmet though :twisted:
Posseltperformance

Postby teK-- » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:40 pm

I think a Balaclava should help towards my ears not getting *&@)($@ folded downwards when I put the helmet on? I have to wriggle the straps and the helmet around a bit to get my ears to "pop" back out so they aren't folded up.

The helmet is a rather firm fit right now but I am advised that this is preferred since the pads will compress and form to my face as I wear it more often (I'll prob wear it for half an hour at a time around the house or something leading up to the event to wear it in).

Kind of like a new pair of jeans or shoes; you never wear them for the first time to a party ;)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby smythie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:49 pm

I had the same problem with the Suomy I had previous to my current Arai (Profile fwiw). I would have to slide my hands up inside the helmet every time I put it on to fold my ears back. Not a huge issue in the end IMO.

As for fit, firm is good. Headache inducing pressure is BAD. Will probably take up to 6 hours of usage to mould to your head (as much as it ever will anyway)

As I ride motorbikes, there's no way I'd skimp on a cheap cheap helmet so I personally would look in bike shops keeping in mind the AS sticker (Motor vehicle use). I don't really see how you'd need that much protection inside a tin top car however so if I wasn't buying to use it on a bike I might get something cheaper
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Fangin_RX » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Guess Motocross helmets are designed differently cause ive never had to fold my ears back or anything. Firm is good you should be able to make alot of movement with your head (Spastic style) and it shouldnt budge, But as tony said if your head starts to become very sore or aching thats a good sign the helmet isnt the correct fit.

Im the same as the other tho, But seeing as i ride dirtbike and cant currently spend $1000 for the new Shoei helmet ive opted for the Fox V2 Pilot good helmet and isnt cheap like the other brands out there
MY00 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) RX 2.5L / 2009 Honda CRF250R
P PLATER
-------------------------------------------------------
Fangin_RX
-stickered-

Car: MY00 Liberty RX 2.5L - Gen 3

Postby Ric » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

I was just in Revolution Racegear today (ordering a race seat for my MG), and noticed that they do still stock and sell their basic open face helmet for $90.
(This is what I use myself for MG competition)

The come in only plain black or white, but do carry full AS1698 approval for "motor vehicle use".
They don't appear on the website, but should be available at all Revolution Racegear outlets.

oh yeah, here's the seat I've ordered. The existing trim is red in a black car, so it should match well.
I can't use a full wraparound style, it's hard enough getting in the car now! ;)

Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby teK-- » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Yep saw that one Ric, but I opted for full face so I could use the helmet for Karting too.

Nice seat Ric is it going in the MG? Like the retro bucket seat look =)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Laps » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:17 pm

can i ask what the helmets are for
[ Click --> Here <-- for modifications & profile ]
"If you can't make it fast, you may as well make it look good..."
Laps

Car: MY08 2.5i Liberty Sedan

Postby teK-- » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Helmets = for any motorsports event.
teK--
-stickered-

Next

Return to Racing / Motorsport