Getting CAMS/AAS License and onto the track.

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Getting CAMS/AAS License and onto the track.

Postby teK-- » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm

I am still pretty new to this, however I have followed a basic process walked through by a mate of mine who has already attended a few events.

From what I been advised there are typically two types of license that drivers obtain:

1. CAMS L2S - $95.00 per 12 months. You need to be a financial (paying) member of a CAMS affiliated club to get this license, but it does allow a greater range of events than just an AASA Club Racing License. For GT Liberties you can join WRX.com.au to satisfy the requirement, the cost is $100.00 for the first year, and $90.00 to renew.

Since WRX.com.au does not accept non-turbo cars for membership, 3.0L and 2.0R/2.5i owners will have to join a different club. Another club is Skylines Australia (VIC) which accepts any car for membership and the cost is $70.00 first year, $50.00 to renew. There may be other CAMS affiliated clubs that accept any car for membership so please post them up if you know of any.

2. AASA Club Racing License - $50.00 per 12 months. I am not 100% sure on this, but apparently you do not need to be a financial member of an AASA-affiliated car club to get this license. However on the application form it asks for an AASA Affiliated club or person to vouch for you. This type of license is reportedly easier/cheaper than CAMS L2S however some events will not accept this type of license.

Both types of license do not require driving logbooks or medical tests; the latter you just answer a questionnaire. I ended up getting a Skylines AU membership as I have mates who are in the club and also they have regular and varied track events. Also I applied for a CAMS L2S to maximise my options.

Other requirements:
- Some events require that you have a minimum 900g fire extinguisher BOLTED in the cabin somewhere, usually in easy reach of the driver whilst seatbelted. The most logical place is in front of the driver's seat. WRX.com.au sell bolt-on brackets and extinguishers for $75.00 + $10.00 shipping for non-members. $10.00 discount for members.

- AS1698 approved helmet. It must have this approval irrespective of what other approvals it may have. Some events may have a limit of a helmet that is no older than 5 years since manufacture date. Also you need to be sure that the helmet is rated for MOTORSPORT use, not motorcycle which has a similar AS1698 sticker but is rated to different standards. The way to tell is to look inside the helmet for a sewn on label.

This is all I can think of as a basic checklist to go from road to track. If I have missed anything or am incorrect please feel free to mention :D
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Re: Getting CAMS/AAS License and onto the track.

Postby Ric » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:05 pm

teK-- wrote:...
Since WRX.com.au does not accept non-turbo cars for membership, 3.0L and 2.0R/2.5i owners will have to join a different club. Another club is Skylines Australia (VIC) which accepts any car for membership and the cost is $70.00 first year, $50.00 to renew. There may be other CAMS affiliated clubs that accept any car for membership so please post them up if you know of any.

The MG Car Club accepts anyone, but it it is bit more expensive.
i.e. $65 joining fee, and $100 per year membership fee. They do have a lot more events than other clubs though. :)
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby adhar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 pm

For those who are interested in getting a Cams license here is the link to the application form:
It is worth having even if you only do 1 or 2 events per year! :)

http://www.cams.com.au/en/Development/G ... newal.ashx

For most people's requirements a L2S is required.
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby smythie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

teK-- wrote:- AS1698 approved helmet. It must have this approval irrespective of what other approvals it may have. Some events may have a limit of a helmet that is no older than 5 years since manufacture date. Also you need to be sure that the helmet is rated for MOTORSPORT use, not motorcycle which has a similar AS1698 sticker but is rated to different standards. The way to tell is to look inside the helmet for a sewn on label.
Not always sewn on. Can be stuck onto the absorption foam
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Return to Racing / Motorsport