Motorkhana skills

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Re: Motorkhana skills

Postby Ric » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Here's some photos on the skidpan at the last event I did there in 2005.
http://gallery.mgcc.info/2005deca/

The first pic is my car on someone else's trailer at the end of the day. I drove up there, but had to go home on a trailer because I broke my diff trying to do a burnout before my last event BEFORE I got onto the skidpan. The tyres gripped on the asphalt and the diff let go instead :(.

(You can just make out the split in the back of the diff housing where an internal part bashed through in this pic http://gallery.mgcc.info/2005deca/pic117.htm. My previous run starts from http://gallery.mgcc.info/2005deca/pic099.htm )
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby adhar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:35 am

teK-- wrote:I'm entering my first motorkhana event in a few weeks and just wanted some tips from anyone who has tried it in their Subie.

I like to practice like a hoon :nono: on a damp day in a carpark with no-one around. Practicing hand-brake turns help alot.

teK-- wrote:I have been advised that it is not a very good idea to attempt handbrake turns in our cars as it will seriously mess up the drivetrain? I presume that means even if disengaging the clutch at the same time as handbraking, it would still be an issue then as all four wheels are still connected together.

Your centre diff will take care of that. If you have replaced that with a heavy lsd you will have some trouble, but the OEM centre diff is fine.

teK-- wrote: would like some tips on basic manouvres such as tight 180 turns, and also front throws and rear throws.

Don't be afraid to aggressively throw the wheel into the corner, you will quickly work out what gives you understeer and what gives you oversteer!
That's the beauty of a skidpan, its a safe environment to have some fun without getting in trouble with the law, or crashing into anything!
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby Ric » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:13 pm

adhar wrote:...
That's the beauty of a skidpan, its a safe environment to have some fun without getting in trouble with the law, or crashing into anything!

I predict one or two traffic cones will "die" during the exercise! ;)
Ric
Site Admin

Postby teK-- » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey that's one tidy looking MG you have there Ric. I remember seeing a vid a while back of you on the Haunted Hills track.

I was at HH this weekend (passenger only), and it is a great track if only quite narrow with little margin for error. Saw one Gen III B4 wipe out and took out the front quarter panel and door. R34 GTR was going pretty docile until he took a passenger then opened it up, and nearly had an off as well. R35 was going pretty slow the whole day ;)

Would make a perfect go kart track imho!

Andrew: Totally stock powertrain in my car, so I'll give the handbraking a shot once I'm on the skidpan :D
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Posseltperformance » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:20 pm

If your wanting the rear end to slide, up the tyre pressures in the back and drop them at the front a bit maybe 38? Also you can try using the Scandinavian flick/feint drift and handbrake all at the same time (takes practice). i.e. Steer away 1/4 turn and then turn into the corner hard pull the handbrake just after turning the other way maybe 1/8 of a turn positive lock - then start counter steering with opposite lock so your not out of control.

Goodluck

Would love to see pics and vid of the event :)
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Car: 2006 Liberty Wagon 3.0RB

Postby teK-- » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Cheers Ryan for the tip! I always thought feint was a maneuver which came out of the Jap drifting scene.

I used to use feint to get the back out all the time in my old FWD, but haven't as yet combined it with handbrake. I think I'll def be eating some cones though but it is def better than eating a curb ;)

At this stage one of my mates has just missed out on a slot to drive, so he may very well be the nominated camera man. I will do my best to get some video and photos!
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Posseltperformance » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:37 pm

hehe sounds like fun to me Tek :D

Its a common misconception that the feint/Scandinavian flick came from Jap drift. But the rally boys have been doing it for ever! its basically using the inertia of the car to get the back to slide out, using the handbrake just helps the process along (rolling friction is greater than sliding friction hence ABS). You're right to use it in a FWD though its the ultimate! 8)
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Postby Ric » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 pm

I see it is this coming Saturday. Are you still going?
Ric
Site Admin

Postby teK-- » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 pm

For sure Ric! I just serviced yesterday with fresh oil, filter, air filter and upper engine cleaner. Suspension gear is all in, gonna be an awesome weekend =)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Just got back from weekend in Shepparton and the DECA event. I am absolutely totally exhausted! We drove up on Friday night so we could wake up fresh on Saturday without having driven 2.5 hours the morning of the event, however everyone was so anxious and the aircon was so crap in the motel that there was not much sleeping anyway.

Temperature was around 35deg for most of the day but with a light breeze so it was bearable.

First off the morning consisted of Indian file through the back road tracks and then individual runs of each circuit and skidpan at 80% speed which was untimed.

Overall I think I did pretty well with the back road tracks (coarse bitumen surface), I believe I was hitting the tyre's limits before the car's or my limits. I'm really happy with the new suspension setup as the car is really easy to throttle steer through long sweeping corners and extremely stable through quick zigzag chicanes.

On the skidpan I was getting a decent amount of understeer due to the smooth concrete surface, 90deg turns weren't too bad. I tried handbrake turns but having to memorise the cone positions and everything else it was all information overload and after 2 failed attempts I did not try them anymore. First time I bogged down and second time I grinded the clutch. Some of the GTRs seemed to have the same problem and they ran very very wide on the 180s due to their heavy weight and long wheelbase.

After my first few runs I started using the feint manouvre to get the back around. It worked brilliantly and the front was tucking in very close to the corners plus I didn't lose the engine speed from trying to handbrake turn. It worked so well that on one run I oversteered massively and couldn't catch it time so I ended up facing backwards only meters from the finish box :P.

After reading of some of the hazards they have on the side of the back road tracks (metal bollards, trees etc) I decided to crank up the rear camber from -0.5deg per side to -1.0deg per side. This surely would have reduced the "chuckability" of the back but I think it is a good amount now as it is otherwise very very stable unless I intentionally want to get the back out.

As for the skidpan battles I ran against a 2000'ish BMW 328i coupe and it was pretty even finish for most of the runs. The one run that I thought I had beaten him by a recognisable amount I overshot the finish and just tapped the cone at the end! (5sec penalty).

The times should be posted up in the next few days I'll copy them once available. Also there were quite a few professional photographers/video crew so I'm sure they will be putting media online and I'll link that up once available (there are a few of me on the track and skidpan I belive). Here are the few photos I manage to take (Cars #5 and #6 are my mates who I went with).

This is a great event, good value for money and a good place to learn the limits of the car within a relatively safe environment which has minimal wear and tear for the car. Each run only goes for around 40-60secs so you don't kill your brakes or tyres. The next one with the Skylines AU club is in February we should get some more Liberty AU members to come up :)
Attachments
07112009152.jpg
07112009152.jpg (203.45 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
07112009140.jpg
07112009140.jpg (234.13 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
07112009144.jpg
07112009144.jpg (175.16 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
07112009148.jpg
07112009148.jpg (158.67 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Great you had some fun, and didn't damage the car! :)
Ric
Site Admin

Postby teK-- » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Some more:

(In hindsight I think I should have come in closer to the edge of the road to get a faster transition through the cones).
Attachments
Deca_nov_09 097.jpg
Deca_nov_09 097.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Deca_nov_09 098.jpg
Deca_nov_09 098.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Deca_nov_09 099.jpg
Deca_nov_09 099.jpg (86.02 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Deca_nov_09 100.jpg
Deca_nov_09 100.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Posseltperformance » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:24 am

Nice ones Tek Sounds like a great weekend all round :) glad to hear the feint worked well for ya :wink:
Posseltperformance

Previous

Return to Racing / Motorsport