Motorsport equipment

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Motorsport equipment

Postby Manaz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 am

Hi all,

As someone looking to take a more active interest in motorsport (I'll start with a few track days, then look towards competitions), what sort of (personal) gear should I be looking at?

Obviously a helmet is required. Should I be looking at a basic race suit? What about gloves and boots?

And for all these - what should I be buying? A mate races a classic Porsche in tarmac rallies and put me onto Stilo and Sparco helmets, but I wonder if they're not a bit too "serious" for the level I'll be competing at.

Anything else?

Cheers!
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Re: Motorsport equipment

Postby Ric » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:02 am

Yes to gloves.
A good suit and shoes can be pretty pricy. I'd hold off until you know if you want to invest money in a good set.
You do need NON-FLAMMABLE clothing that covers you from neck to wrist and ankle.
Cotton is good. Wool is better. Polyester, nylon, rayon etc. are a no-no.
You also need non-flammable footwear. That rules out any runners made from synthetics.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Manaz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I see you have an open-face helmet Ric - any recommendations for brand or place to buy?
Manaz

Postby Ric » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:54 pm

I bought the cheapest approved one available at Revolution Racegear.

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/in ... PCID=10299

This is the bargain basement model, which is still approved: http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/in ... SV=Primary

Of course a full face one gives better protection if your head hits the dashboard....
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Manaz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks heaps Ric, they seem to have some stuff that will suit my requirements (and budget). :)
Manaz

Postby Manaz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:21 pm

For anyone who needs gear:

I've just ducked down to Revolution Racegear at Auburn today, as I needed a new helmet, a fire extinguisher and battery/tow stickers.

They have Racelid Redline helmets (which include Snell 2010 certification as well as being HANS-ready) for $329, or Bell R1 on special for $429 (Snell 2010 and HANS-ready as well, down from over $500) - I needed an XL in the Bell, which is bigger than the Racelids go - a Bell "Large" is about the same size as a Racelid "XL", and they were all out of anything bigger than Large in the Racelids, with new stock not expected until November).

They have decal sheets (covering more than you need for this event) for $15, and Firebox 1kg dry powder extinguishers for $35 each (I've seen them for $25 online in other places, but you then pay $20 shipping).

They also have Puma FutureCat driving boots/shoes on special for $99 (red or blue only).
Manaz

Return to Racing / Motorsport