DRS Zone In Spain

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

DRS Zone In Spain

Postby zoidberg99 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey y'all,

Just watching the F1 Quali, reckon they have put the DRS in the wrong spot for Catalunya - Activation zone is on the main straight for this race, but i think it would have been better off being put on the other side of the track - either before turn 9 or on the straight between 9 and 10. It is followed by a very heavey braking zone, and a good set of turns following turn 10.

any thoughts?
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Car: 2005 MY06 3.0R-B

Re: DRS Zone In Spain

Postby smythie » Sun May 22, 2011 2:51 pm

I think they should be using two zones or more where ever they can.

The zone on the straight I think is plenty long enough and I think you'll see a number of guys completing the pass before they get on the brakes for the relatively quick turn 1. Should see some good top speeds tonight :D
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby zoidberg99 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:05 pm

They have just released info on the DRS zones for Canada and Valencia
http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/49076.html
They are going to have two! Good call Smythie :wink:

Should be good, i guess the idea will be to allow the car that has been overtaken in the first Zone a right of reply into turn one. Im looking forward to it, Canada has an awesome track, this just adds to it.

Good on Webber for beating the Natzi to Pole last night, hopefully he can convert it to a win. :-D
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Car: 2005 MY06 3.0R-B

Postby smythie » Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Massive fail for Webber last night. Screwed up the start and then followed Alonso around like he's a Ferrari No 2 driver for most of the race. Top marks for Mclaren in the race though. Damn those Red Bulls lose some pace once race conditions happen.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Postby sooobi » Mon May 23, 2011 7:32 pm

smythie wrote:I think they should be using two zones or more where ever they can.

The zone on the straight I think is plenty long enough and I think you'll see a number of guys completing the pass before they get on the brakes for the relatively quick turn 1. Should see some good top speeds tonight :D

Have to disagree.. the DRS zone was not long enough.. that's why webber followed alonso for I dunno how many laps at 0.4 secs behind.. this was what DRS was designed to avoid.. it screwed his race when ferrari tried (and succeeded) keeping him behind them after the first stop.. when he finally got past it was all over.. he should have been racing seb not the red car that eventually got lapped.. alonso got the jump at the start but that shouldnt have been enough, with DRS that is..
Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4.. No mods, honest...
sooobi

Car: my05mt GT b.spec no neons
Profile URL: http://forum.liberty.asn.au

Postby smythie » Tue May 24, 2011 9:56 am

yeah, I was wrong. I don't know how much more help having the DRS open for the full straight would have helped though - it was already the longest of the season by a fair margin. Certainly would have helped the Red Bulls if they were allowed to open it before the final corner as they were doing in Qualifying :lol: The Ferrari donk is bloody quick as was the Mercedes and the Red Bull was so fast through the final corner onto the straight that for different reasons those cars up front behind didn't get a chance by the end of the straight. Add in the aero wake disrupting downforce and preventing anyone from really following close through that final corner and in hindsight it's not difficult to see why it didn't work.

I think the times that DRS has helped drivers has been on straights when speed through the previous corner wasn't governed by downforce (Sepang: final corner was a hairpin, Shanghai: Hairpin into kink onto straight, Istanbul: slow corner into kink onto straight) because 1) the following car suffers a loss of aero grip from the wake of the car in front and thus can't follow as close as needed and 2) The Red Bulls despite having the slowest donk are getting a big jump on the car behind. KERS doesn't help the situation but then again all of the main teams have it available (unless it has failed) so it shouldn't make any noticeable difference.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Postby sooobi » Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 am

Right. Although the difference with DRS open was more than enough to make up for the redbull's lack of trap speed.. I think this was reason enough to say the activation line could have been marked earlier in the straight.. redbull was not the only team to suffer just the most obvious with webber.

Will be good with two zones though.. a bit more to-and-fro..
Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4.. No mods, honest...
sooobi

Car: my05mt GT b.spec no neons
Profile URL: http://forum.liberty.asn.au

Return to Racing / Motorsport