F1 Turkey

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

F1 Turkey

Postby Lucy » Mon May 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Anyone catch the race last night? I missed it, saw on this mornings news that the little s!@# won again, and Mark had a good fight with Alonso
Lucy

Car: 2008 GT Tuned by STI Pearl White

Re: F1 Turkey

Postby Hobber » Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Another great race... no safety car, no big crashes, some great driving....

DRS was a bit stupid though....
Hobber

Car: MY10 GT Premium

Postby jdm rsk » Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 pm

a pretty good race...
jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby sooobi » Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Hobber wrote:Another great race... no safety car, no big crashes, some great driving....

DRS was a bit stupid though....

What do you mean about DRS? It worked well, a little too well? Been worried it would mean drivers swapping places every lap but it hasn't.. although there's absolutely no defending against a pass with DRS like there used to be with drivers able to keep cars behind them, it does generally work out that the faster car at that time gets ahead..

It worked for Alonso mid-race and against him at the end... Webber didn't feel like he had to trail him till the last laps so he wasn't DRS'ed again before the finish, that's the fear I guess, when someone bides their time so the laps run out and the place cant be retaken..

It was three wide at one point and wherever you looked there was action! The pit stops played their part and unless you were a mclaren diehard it was pretty epic! Definitely not the procession of old!

Kobayashi did good.. would have like to have seen more.. Schuey looked lost.. Webber was solid.. Alonso was as well..
Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4.. No mods, honest...
sooobi

Car: my05mt GT b.spec no neons
Profile URL: http://forum.liberty.asn.au

Postby Lucy » Wed May 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Sound like it was one worth watching! Sham I missed it, but I did get a bit of qualifying the night before. This track is mind blowing, I think it's turn 8? right hander where they hold the throttle wide open @ 300+ what kick that must be!!!
Lucy

Postby zoidberg99 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Left hander, 4 apexes flat to the floor! awe yeah!
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Car: 2005 MY06 3.0R-B

Postby Lucy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 am

zoidberg99 wrote:Left hander, 4 apexes flat to the floor! awe yeah!

How wicked would it be if they designed a tow device, similar to a 'donut' tube behind a ski boat, and jump in it for a lap or two!!! :crazy:
Lucy

Postby zoidberg99 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Like This!??!
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Postby smythie » Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Lucy wrote:Sound like it was one worth watching! Sham I missed it, but I did get a bit of qualifying the night before. This track is mind blowing, I think it's turn 8? right hander where they hold the throttle wide open @ 300+ what kick that must be!!!
Sounds like turn 11 (right hander up hill leading onto the main back straight) though turn 8 as zoidberg mentions is another significant turn on the F1 calendar
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby zoidberg99 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:33 am

smythie wrote:Sounds like turn 11 (right hander up hill leading onto the main back straight) though turn 8 as zoidberg mentions is another significant turn on the F1 calendar

Good call, they get an awesome toe out of that one up the hill. Bit of help from DRS this time round though
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Postby Lucy » Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 pm

zoidberg99 wrote:
smythie wrote:Sounds like turn 11 (right hander up hill leading onto the main back straight) though turn 8 as zoidberg mentions is another significant turn on the F1 calendar

Good call, they get an awesome toe out of that one up the hill. Bit of help from DRS this time round though

Yeah for sure!

How do you guys sit with DRS? I'm on the fence, great racing no doubt about it, but is it a little unfare to the driver in front that's pushed hard all race at the front and then get pipped at the line due to mechanical disadvantage and not driver error. I don't know that it's happened yet, but surely only a matter of time. I didn't see the move Webber put on Alonso, was it DRS?
Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue May 17, 2011 4:38 pm

zoidberg99 wrote:

Like This!??!

That is F!@#$% up!

I cringe at the 'fully sicks' that ride their R1's & Hyabusa's with T shirt, shorts & thongs! Those Saudi guys are a few sandwiches short of a picnic!
Lucy

Postby smythie » Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Lucy wrote:
zoidberg99 wrote:

Yeah for sure!

How do you guys sit with DRS? I'm on the fence, great racing no doubt about it, but is it a little unfare to the driver in front that's pushed hard all race at the front and then get pipped at the line due to mechanical disadvantage and not driver error. I don't know that it's happened yet, but surely only a matter of time. I didn't see the move Webber put on Alonso, was it DRS?
I think it is great. A race where a driver can be complacent that he/she isn't going to get passed by the car behind them is a boring race. The combination of the quick wearing tyres and the resulting varying pit stop strategies and the DRS has livened this series up thankfully.

As technologically good as it was for the tyres last year to last as well as they did, it made for poor racing. There was concern early on that tyre wear would be a big concern but everyone was very quickly on the same strategy even from the first race. This year there has been some interesting differences in strategy this year putting cars on the track at differing paces.

For mine, the DRS only restores a very minor amount of what the diffusers and other aerodynamic advances have over the past 10-15 years have torn away from the sport.

I think there should be a mandate in the rules that the aerodynamics of the cars should be tested in an independant windtunnel and that at full speed the turbulence in the air behind the car must be reduced to nil within 20m of the rear of the car. None of this turbulence generating nonsense they have now. Let the aerodynamic wizards develop something to achieve that.

Oh, give them wider tyres too. Going back to slicks was a good idea. They need more black stuff on the road :D
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Lucy » Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 pm

I can't disagree with any of your points Smithie, all valid and make a sound argument.

I know entertainment is a huge part of racing in general, and F1 has been in short supply of it over deferent past seasons. The racing this year has been outstanding, and has even super-seeded Moto2! (support categorie for MotoGP)
But I'd like to see the driver leading/in front be able to activate DRS at a point in an overtaking manoeuvre, especialy if it's a last lap scenario. Maybe when attackers car's front wheel has reached a % of the deffenders front wheel? I know that would open up a huge can of worms regarding drivers discretion, but I just can't get my head around the fact that a deffender can't protect to the same level as the attacker can attack, and in similar cars.

I guess I'm a bit lost because, on an absolutely microscopically small level, I know how painful it is to have a result stolen from me due to mechanical advantage and not pilot error or skill. In saying that, I too have taken results as a lesser rider from oponents with inferior bikes.

Any thoughts?
Lucy

Return to Racing / Motorsport