Avalon Victoria Khanacross 2021 starting

Discuss F1, V8s, etc., as well as competing in your Liberty.

Avalon Victoria Khanacross 2021 starting

Postby TFish » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm heading out to the Avalon dirt circuit (named the Gelong Motor Sports Complex) for the Come and Try Day on Sunday 7/03/2021. The location is right at the turn off to Avalon airport south of Werribee (Melbourne). If you're not familiar, Come and Try days are very cheap events that are not timed. They are for juniors and new competitors to try out the motorsport and you can get a day license instead of a year one.

The season is starting soon and this will be for me a shakedown of my silver Gen 4 Lib GT-B for me as I plan on competing in the Autocross/Khanacross series all year. I've attached the planned schedule for those who may be interested. The come and try day will be on the autocross/khanacross circuit.

The Motorkhana events are the skin pan events with witches hats and various pathways like doughnuts, stop/pause in a garage, reverse, do 3 more circles then stop. Lots of car control and the best timed around each of the 6 courses in your "map" wins. The map you get at the start of the day shows 6 pathways through the witches hats and memory and planning plays a big part. Not really my thing with a subaru or FWD car but a lot of fun in RWD.

The Autocross/Khanacross events are a 1.1 to 1.8klm gravel track end to end timed against others, so no doughnuts required just sliddy good fun.

The track is relatively flat and pretty safe for beginners although it is possible to roll your car if you make a big mistake. That being said, there's no pressure to go fast until you know how as it is just you on the track. You normally get 5-6 runs depending on the day (Sunday 8am-3.30pm approx). You wear a suitable helmet and long sleeve, non-flammable clothing. You need a fire extinguisher installed in the car and a battery triangle on the bonnet (can be made out of electrical tape and then take off for the day).

Love to see some more Subaru's out there if you're interested! A Liberty STig I met out there when I had my forester build previously said he'd won a couple of championships in a basically stock Gen 3 or Gen 4 I think.

CAMS in now rebranded to Motorsport Australia and the events are put up on their events page. Members of the Geelong Motorsport Club and Western Districts Car Club receive email updates. Email avalonmotorsport@gmail.com if you're interested in finding out more or want to receive updates. Usually spectators are welcome but Motorsport Australia's COVID restrictions are quite harsh at present so check with Martin before venturing out (definitely not possible this event, is subject to MA's changes to rules re: COVID).

Happy to answer questions if anyone has any about getting into motorsport.
Attachments
GMSC WDCC 2021 Event Calendar - V1.pdf
Avalon event calendar
(45.53 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
TFish

Car: 2007 Liberty GT B Spec

Re: Avalon Victoria Khanacross 2021 starting

Postby TFish » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:15 pm

MA venues near you and the club to contact - https://www.motorsport.org.au/events/venues
TFish

Postby Yowie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:56 pm

These sorts of days are awesome fun.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:27 pm

How’d you go? :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TFish » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 pm

Took a while to get the results Benny :biggrin:

Usually you can get them on the day but no congregating around a printout allowed due to covid.

The day had 8 runs, started at 10.30ish and was finished by 2.30pm so it was run very smoothly. I hit a tire bank at the end of the straight on run 2 getting my feet mixed up with lfb and changing down gears. Rest of the day felt really strong. Scuff marks on the bumper and a plastic underbody fastener the only damage.

Got the results and not as good as I'd hoped. Usually they drop everyone's worst time (so the final time would be the sum of the best 7 runs) but for this particular format all times counted. After the off, I babied it back to the pits to check it, but should have gunned it or stopped altogether so they would dnf me (when they substitute the worst time plus 5 seconds). That run was like 2mins or something plus 5 secs per tyre. No problems really but little things you learn. Fastest car for the day was a Pulsar GTi rally car with haltech, fully prepared for rallies, super light, makes great noises, etc. Probably close to unbeatable in the AWD class if he just keeps cutting consistent loops all year.

Since then I've had my bent FCAs replaced (not from the off, just always has been) and DBA T2s all around put on with new pads. Received my reconditioned CorgiWerx centre diff (thanks Peter!) and have the full rear set of whiteline bushes to refresh at the next mechanic visit.

The next thing I'm thinking is how heavy the standard BL GT-B wheels are. Lighter wheels would help in many ways I think in an awd on a gravel circuit, both unsprung weight/suspension and just the weight the drivetrain has to contend with. Looking for solid condition but cheap and don't really care what they look like. Would want to get rid of the stock wheels at the same time or asap after swapping the tyres over. Brakes aren't an issue once I found the abs fuse, I just needed to replace them. Considering either some basic coilovers or MCA reds as well. After that only weight reduction would really help I believe.

In order to be competitive I need to be a lot tidier in my lines. The guys (and girl or 2) out there have been going there for years so they have super tight lines whereas I was just drifting and having too much fun. About 3-10 secs off the GTi's pace each 1ish minute lap according to the times so still a fair way to go :)

Thinking about booking in to the driver training next weekend at Moe/Bryant Park hillclimb. Could be good to have someone take a look at my driving, pretty pricey though ($600 for 2 days/sessions). Same group that does the Phillip Island driver training days.
TFish

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 am

Awesome writeup thanks, and a close shave!

Shockworks are the do it all coilover mod, many owners tracking them with no issues.

Less requirement for extreme swaybar mods too ;)

Did you go standard or upgrade vlscd? :good:

Keep an open mind about rim upgrades, eg the legacyuk time attack car runs xxr’s last 5 years or more with no issues hitting rumble strips, however they’re not that light, just affordable and holding up so far.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TFish » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Thanks mate, will hopefully have some coilovers soon!

I think it's standard.

About to look into the specs for what rims fit on here. Had a drama with the brake pads as turns out I have the other calipers (usually listed as 2006 I think?). These are the bendix numbers because that's what I ended up getting - fits DB1722 and DB1379, does not fit DB1803 and DB1491.

Sparesbox hopefully will refund though, looks promising.

I don't have a cam or anything but I'll post up any pics they put on facebook from the photographer in case any one is interested. In the meantime, here's my little pit area.
Attachments
162179071_10159397371643969_6806116261385738504_n.jpg
162179071_10159397371643969_6806116261385738504_n.jpg (237.19 KiB) Viewed 6936 times
TFish

Postby TFish » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 pm

And a bit of mud for those who love it
Attachments
161786243_10159403067963969_7938500493423891116_n (1).jpg
161786243_10159403067963969_7938500493423891116_n (1).jpg (184.46 KiB) Viewed 6936 times
TFish

Return to Racing / Motorsport