GB for smoked tint for headlights, taillights or foglights

Organise a group buy here. You need "approved seller" status to start a group buy topic.
club.liberty.asn.au branded gear will also be posted here.

Re: GB for smoked tint for headlights, taillights or foglights

Postby Mr Cali » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Has anyone applied this to their Gen 4 headlights, I'm thinking that the bulge where the projectors are will make it very difficult to apply.
Mr Cali

Car: Silver Gen IV Liberty GT

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:24 pm

i may have missed it but is there a tint available for MY07 wagon taillights?
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am

Mr Cali wrote:Has anyone applied this to their Gen 4 headlights, I'm thinking that the bulge where the projectors are will make it very difficult to apply.

Shouldnt be to much of an issue, the sutff is pretty flexible...

Also GTSPECB STI, when you give us the price, dont forget to factor in that once you receive the goods from america, you will need to send it to us folks... Should be about $10...
[ Click --> Here <-- for modifications & profile ]
"If you can't make it fast, you may as well make it look good..."
Laps

Car: MY08 2.5i Liberty Sedan

Postby swingn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:25 am

If the GB hasn't been finalised yet, I would suggest looking at these guys:

http://www.lamin-x.com/Subaru-Legacy-20 ... -s/672.htm

From what I've heard, this is much easier to install & minimal trimming is required... They also offer tint for the wing mirror indicators etc.

This is brand I'm going to go for when I do some bits & pieces to the EVO.

In regards to head light tinting, technically it's illegal. So if your thinking about doing it, I'd go as light as possible so you can try to write it off as "protecting the headlights". Personally I wouldn't take the risk, but NSW in particular, I don't think it'll sit too well.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby Mr Cali » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 am

it looks flexible which isn't the issue, will it stretch is them main thing
Mr Cali

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:31 am

blacktop™ wrote:i may have missed it but is there a tint available for MY07 wagon taillights?

Hey looks like they dont do lliberty wagon taillights. They do do reverse lights though ? lol
http://www.headlightarmor.com/05-07-subaru-legacy-outback-wagon-reverse-light-protection-kit.aspx

Mr Cali wrote:it looks flexible which isn't the issue, will it stretch is them main thing

Well comon be real, do you think they would sell it if it wasnt going to cover the whole tail light? Basically the amount of tint you get is larger than the surface area. After you apply it you trim the excess off around the edges...
Laps

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:29 pm

yeah i probably would have gotten the reverse light tint had they had taillight tint to match...
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:10 pm

blacktop™ wrote:yeah i probably would have gotten the reverse light tint had they had taillight tint to match...

Yeh I wish I could get tint for the brake light on my sti lip ;[
Laps

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:13 pm

swingn wrote:If the GB hasn't been finalised yet, I would suggest looking at these guys:

http://www.lamin-x.com/Subaru-Legacy-20 ... -s/672.htm

From what I've heard, this is much easier to install & minimal trimming is required... They also offer tint for the wing mirror indicators etc.

Not really fussed about indicators, and from the photos, it looks like the exact material as the company for this GB uses. I have had tail light tint from this company before, was easy to install, and minimal trimming was required.
Laps

Postby Mr Cali » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Mr Cali wrote:it looks flexible which isn't the issue, will it stretch is them main thing

Well comon be real, do you think they would sell it if it wasnt going to cover the whole tail light? Basically the amount of tint you get is larger than the surface area. After you apply it you trim the excess off around the edges...

not referring to the tail lights mate, in previous experience with vynals etc on a curved surface like the headlight bulge if the material isn't strecthed it creases. I would imagine the same with this. Has nothing to do with them not giving enough material to cover the light.

Also i was in Autibarn today and noticed a clear film that they sell to put on the headlights, only thing is that its not pre cut. Are these essentially the same thing?
Mr Cali

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Mr Cali wrote:

not referring to the tail lights mate, in previous experience with vynals etc on a curved surface like the headlight bulge if the material isn't strecthed it creases. I would imagine the same with this. Has nothing to do with them not giving enough material to cover the light.

Also i was in Autibarn today and noticed a clear film that they sell to put on the headlights, only thing is that its not pre cut. Are these essentially the same thing?

Dunno this isnt really a 'film' its about 2-3mm thick, and headlights/tighlights/whatever - it doest matter - they wouldnt be selling it if they hadnt tried it on subaru lights. Also this stuff is cut according to the headlight/taillight it needs to go on... AND they have a photo of it fitted on a 05-06 WRX, which have similar hawkeye headlights with a bulge in the centre... It should it, and if it doesnt, uve only lost $90...
Laps

Postby Arith » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Laps wrote:Yeh I wish I could get tint for the brake light on my sti lip ;[

Weren't you already a member when one of the other guys had a group buy because one of the options was tint for the 3rd brake light for the STi lip spoiler. I think I was the only one that got it. Looks good because now the white plastic is subdued and matches the taillights. But I reckon David migh tbe able to get just a tint strip and you can custom cut it yourself.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Arith wrote:Weren't you already a member when one of the other guys had a group buy because one of the options was tint for the 3rd brake light for the STi lip spoiler.

Hmm I cant remember seeing a group buy for the brake light. If I had known I almost defs would have bought ;[

Arith wrote:But I reckon David migh tbe able to get just a tint strip and you can custom cut it yourself.

Whose david?
Laps

Postby Laps » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey GTSPECB STI,

I would also be interested in getting a sheet to do my brake light on the sti boot lip spoiler.

I would need a rectangle piece 300mm x 60mm in 50% tint.

Could you please enquire about whether or not this is possible

Thanks
Laps

Postby Weerty » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

hi all,

just a word of caution, nothing to do with being illegal...etc

But i had smoked tint for my head and til lights of my previous car - what i found was over a period of only about 3 months of having the tint on the headlghts, the the actual headlight cover had warped due to the concentration of the heat/light where the low beam was shining through (obviously as i use low beam more than high beam), and the heat could not escape effectivly enough from the headlight due to being encapsulated by the tinting. The warping didnt look very good and it ended up distorting the beam in the end.

Also on the tail lights, if there are any impecfections/raised symbols/letting on the lights this may also become an issue when removing the tinting because as the light heats the cover, the tinting expands sightly, when the light is turned off it contracts - and then it is effectively stuck/burned on to the tail light cover.

+'s
smoked tint does look cool and would probably be bst used on show cars
really easy installation - slightly soapy water and a squeege

-'s
the distortion of the head lamp cover
the melting of the tinting on to raised lettering/symbols
the amount of light that is actually reduced by the tinting
the precut shape of the tinting - mine was slightly too small for the headlight/tail lights so i effectively had a 'boarder' around my lights of the original light that i was trying to cover which i didnt like the look of

in summary
having done it previously i wouldnt bother doing it again... its really just a cheap and nasty product which can have major repercussions down the track.
Weerty

Car: MY08 Liberty Wagon 2.5T GT Spec B

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys and Club Liberty accessories