In car Fire Extinguisher

Organise a group buy here. You need "approved seller" status to start a group buy topic.
club.liberty.asn.au branded gear will also be posted here.

In car Fire Extinguisher

Postby senator » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:25 pm

With the growing number of mods under the bonnet and the up coming track day, I am looking into a Fire Extinguisher.

I am looking at mounting it across the front of the passenger seat rails…. Using the existing seat rail bolts

Just wanting some advice about what size or brand of dry powder FE Extinguisher to get????
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Re: In car Fire Extinguisher

Postby castek » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm

i bought one from supercheap a while back, it was enough to extinguish an airbox fire, which was quiet big.

saved a car using one
castek

Car: 2005 Liberty 2.5i Arctic White

Postby smythie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:50 pm

You could always do a forum search. Bloody newbies :angry2: :lol:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4509 might have some information for you
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby senator » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 pm

smythie wrote:You could always do a forum search. Bloody newbies :angry2: :lol:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4509 might have some information for you

oh shit........ thanks for the link mate
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby teK-- » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 pm

I have the WRX mount as well, it is great and does not get in the way at all, allows full range of seat adjustment aft (fore is limited a little but unless you are 5'5 you should be fine ;D ). No rattles at all so I am happy with that.

Just get in the habit of taking it out once a month to shake it around as the powder does settle. Also gives good practice on unlatching it in an emergency.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby The Sean » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Contact FlameStop in Chatswood, they'll sell you a car one with bracket that fits under the curve of the drivers seat for about $30

Actually, they are about the same price in Supercheap so yer, there isn't too much to worry about, just get a C02 (carbon dioxide) one.

Remember, if it is an electrical fire you should disconnect the battery as soon as you are able otherwise the source continues to flow.

I used to have one in a Forrester (when I worked for FlameStop) mounted in the same place that Ric had his (as shown in the photos in the post Tek *gently* directed you towards) and it rarely got in the way when I shifted my feet around etc.

The only thing is to make sure you point the outlet nozzle towards the peddles as you can accidentally scratch your hand if you drop something into the footwell (for me, it was the odd cigarette or loose change) trying to retrieve it.

...and, you can always get it resprayed to match your car!

I know you want to!
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby Arith » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Ugh. That bright red is a bit out place for my interior colour scheme. Does it come in any other colours? Black or charcoal perhaps?

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby teK-- » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Lol Jim if you were Fire Chief you'd make all the trucks Obsidian Black ;)

Nice linkup Sean; do the Flamestop ones have the generic style mount; i.e. how easy to bolt it to the chassis or floorpan without drilling new holes?
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby The Sean » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Actually, I didn't leave on great terms from FlameStop but I've put that aside to help out.

Unfortunately, the bracket from FlameStop (and most others I've seen) as incredibly generic in that, yer, you wil have to drill into metal to mount them via 2 screws.

Honestly, I didn't give the no-drilling thing any thought at the time. Seeing it was a pool car and well, I was mounting their brand of extinguisher I simply got nice 40mm self drilling, full threaded screws, pointed the drill down to the Devil and pulled the trigger!

Actually, you could mount them with a velco strips weaved around the bracket body and that would be more than robus enough as our carpet is rather loose piled.
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Postby teK-- » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:59 pm

I wouldn't hesitate with the good ol self tappers in a pool car either :P

I considered a similar approach or having a piece of MDF under the carpet, then self tappers through the carpet and into the MDF to hold the bracket in place. It'd probably suffice for everyday use but it won't pass Senator's needs for motorsports. (I just checked the CAMS rules it requires extinguisher containment under 25G of acceleration). I'd say high tensile bolts and nuts would be needed in that case.

After fudging around with metal strap to make a custom bracket I resorted to buying the WRX one which fits perfectly and is angle adjustable.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby The Sean » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 pm

To quote our regular mechanic:

'Jeez Sean, do you even try to find shorter screws, they stick out 30mm through the underside of the car!'

My reply was:

'I was concerned about it coming loose'

I'm pretty sure it would be good for 25Gs (I had a flashback to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after reading that bit about G forces)
The Sean

Postby Ric » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:39 am

Just for reference, here's the link to the WRX club bracket.

http://www.wrx.com.au/wrxshop/html/itemexting.html
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby swingn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 am

Ric wrote:Just for reference, here's the link to the WRX club bracket.

http://www.wrx.com.au/wrxshop/html/itemexting.html

Wonder if that'll work in the EVO :P
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby Roddez » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:42 am

Group Buy? I would be down for one of those if you order one Tony.

I had an extinguisher in the car for a while, but took it out because it was just rolling around the boot.

I have heard that you should periodically shake or rotate your powder extinguishers. I was told that the powder can settle and then when you have need to use it, nothing happens...
MY07 Liberty GT-B (Manual)
Roddez
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B

Postby coyote » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 am

swingn wrote:Wonder if that'll work in the EVO :P

This is what you carry in case a Mitsubishi catches fire.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Next

Return to Group Buys and Club Liberty accessories