Group Buy 2.5T AVCS inlet cam gears and OCV solenoids

Organise a group buy here. You need "approved seller" status to start a group buy topic.
club.liberty.asn.au branded gear will also be posted here.

Re: Group Buy 2.5T AVCS inlet cam gears

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Sure but this issue doesn't necessarily throw a cel...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Kekotic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:28 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Sure but this issue doesn't necessarily throw a cel...

Implying that a CEL is the only thing Subaru Docklands is capable of reading...

You specifically went to docklands requesting they check your AVCS no?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby owen » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Kieran,

There is proof that your current tune is destroying your cam gears. It's not going to get better, only worse. Perhaps if you did something about it sooner rather than later the damage wouldn't be as severe?
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:

They ran diagnostics for me and in their view the system is working fine in terms of the sensors, ocv's, and gears, pointing to the tune first then gears/ocv's as probable causes. So I changed the tune and am ordering parts! :)
bigBADbenny

Postby Kekotic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:

They ran diagnostics for me and in their view the system is working fine in terms of the sensors, ocv's, and gears, pointing to the tune first then gears/ocv's as probable causes. So I changed the tune and am ordering parts! :)

That doesn't make any sense.

If the system is working fine then why are you not able to just "change the oil" and get your system running fine with your new tuner.

Owen I am not dumb enough to think that things will get better. According to some people the damage is restricted to the cam gears and then slowly the OCV. I am not concerned about this really. I barely drive my car, I'll wait for this whole AVCS thing to be done with for people like BBB, Bruce and yourself. And then I'll do mine. I can and most likely will just stop driving my car completely until I see what actually happens with this whole scenario.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:41 pm

I'd be tempted to consider replacing the intake cam gears as mandatory preventative measure when doing a cam belt service. :)

Because there is a fault with a part of that system (ocv, gears, sensors) causing out of sync avcs inlet cam gears.
bigBADbenny

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 am

If it's mostly the tune then bennys new tune or stock tune should have made things a bit better then.

Asking for the third time now - has it?

Seems like we're beating on matt yet again for something that we don't even have very substantial proof about...

This has been mentioned as a common liberty problem. My car was showing signs of it after 5 years on the stock tune. Matts tune actually masked it better. As a tuner matt has a lot to answer for. On the other hand I am slightly puzzled why guys who decide to modify high Km libs and tune them for more power, imply blame on the tuner when things on their car wear out.

I dont mean just you benny, there are many guys here doing that. If we can try to stick to facts rather than opinions that would be a lot more beneficial to all of us...and help all of us fix the real problems.

If you have actual solid evidence (owen?) please do share mate. Reason for the rant is it's such a bitch for all of us to follow opinions instead of facts when trying to fix a somewhat complicated problem in a somewhat complicated engine/car. Can mean alot of wasted time and money. Im sure we can agree on this :)

Although changing to torqued performance will surely save you money over th :P
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 am

Third time lucky: yes a little in general driving, just as bad when cruising.

I agree with you, but I did request a tune where the focus was specifically not more power as a priority.
I wanted my exhaust mods accommodated in the tune, and better drivability & economy.
But I got the same tune as everyone else, with too many uneccessary features, overly aggressive DBW and so on.
At that point I wasn't aware of the possible implications of the avcs mapping regime.

To be clear I'm saying that aggressive avcs maps may exacerbate avcs sync issues that 2.5t's are prone to anyway.

Based on circumstantial evidence on this forum and from feedback from respected tuner/engineers.

If your tune is working you: great!
It's possibly cutting edge technique from an undeniably gifted tuner...

But I found my former tune/s to be a little too experimental and unstable for my liking.
bigBADbenny

Postby owen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:27 am

alexeiwoody wrote:If you have actual solid evidence (owen?) please do share mate.

This isnt law and order. I dont need actual solid evidence. Im just going off my own personal experience and numerous others'.

Nobody is telling you what to do. If your tune is working well, good for you. But let me tell you this; I said EXACTLY the same thing as you before I took my car up to Sydney and spoke to people who actually solidly know wtf they are talking about and came to understand actually solidly what the tune was doing to my engine. Now I am just passing on my new found knowledge on to fellow members, with not much care if they take it seriously or not. I've done my part.

Cheers
owen

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Benny, agreed completely on the 'tune may exacerbate avcs sync issues that 2.5t's are prone to anyway'. Btw I'm running my old TP eric's tune, after matt's dyno tune caused a few issues, non avcs related. So I'm not defending Matt, nor do I consider him my tuner.

Owen, I'm happy to agree with you on that even the possibility of the kido/th tune contributing to more wear in the engine - is enough to never use Th/kido tunes. I can't justify blaming matt solely for everyone's avcs gears though, because hard driving and installing aftermarket parts contribute to this wear also.

And I hope your lib gets back on the road soon.

Cheers
alexeiwoody

Re: Group Buy 2.5T AVCS inlet cam gears and OCV solenoids

Postby owen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

I am not blaming Matt for giving me a bad tune. It wasn't bad, I had very little knock and fuel consumption wasn't extraordinarily terrible. It was just way too aggressive as he was trying to please my thirst for power without much regard for what happens to the engine tomorrow. He isn't a bad tuner, just not exactly what I was hoping for in a tune for my street car.

Having said that though, his inability to answer/return phone calls and SMS shits me to tears, especially when I had a road tune booked in for the Sunday and he was still unreachable the day before. I don't give a shit how busy he is, if he charges $400 and a few months later realises it's not worth his time, that isn't my problem. So I thought fuck it, $400 gifted to him is better than potentially wasting days, if not months of my time like he has done with others.

If I'm running a tune that is slowly destroying components of my engine, I would like the tuner to at least acknowledge the issue and try to do something about it rather than his usual "it's not my fault, you have a boost leak, you have bearing knock, you have a bad fuel pump, you have dirty maf, your tgv is fucked, the planets are aligned incorrectly" or even better yet, no response at all.
owen

Postby owen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:And I hope your lib gets back on the road soon.

Thank you, it will be up and going again as soon as Subaru find me my seals. I'm just waiting for Bruce to organise another group therapy session, which I shall attend and whoever is interested may have a look at it.
owen

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:54 pm

owen wrote:
Having said that though, his inability to answer/return phone calls and SMS shits me to tears, especially when I had a road tune booked in for the Sunday and he was still unreachable the day before. I don't give a shit how busy he is, if he charges $400 and a few months later realises it's not worth his time, that isn't my problem. So I thought fuck it, $400 gifted to him is better than potentially wasting days, if not months of my time like he has done with others.

If I'm running a tune that is slowly destroying components of my engine, I would like the tuner to at least acknowledge the issue and try to do something about it rather than his usual "it's not my fault, you have a boost leak, you have bearing knock, you have a bad fuel pump, you have dirty maf, your tgv is fucked, the planets are aligned incorrectly" or even better yet, no response at all.

^^^^ THIS. Exactly what I went through.
alexeiwoody

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 am

Bruce and I are imminently ordering solenoids and gears.
That order should scrape below the customs duty threshold.
Ill post details when done.
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys and Club Liberty accessories